Pedal-in-a-Bass

Hi Josh and thanks for your (as allways) inciteful comments.

Wow, JNDP of 3 cents is impressive indeed! (Glad someone is awake out there). For those wanting to take the subject of pitch perception further, Wikipedia (cent) is a good place to start. It also contains some simple self-tests as well. It’s worth noting that this type of perception can be age-related.

Well spotted re the ‘Variations in G’ posting! I can’t say I’m entirely surprised as my focus has been almost exclusively at the low end. Also the intonation was adjusted on a different set of strings some while ago. I guess that because of your brilliant solo melodic playing over all of the fretboard you would be particularly sensitive to these problems.

Despite the sharpness of the 15th E fret it would have made no discernible difference to the spectrogram as it’s frequency discrimination is fairly broad.

Thanks again for your input.

S

1 Like

I bet it’s frequency related too, i.e. the test I took was a sine wave at 500Hz, I would love to do a test at 200Hz, maybe as low as 40-50, and up in the kHz as well. Very curious if bass players in general test with better JNDP score with lower frequencies than other musicians.

Got it, good to know. Looking forward to learning more as you go!

2 Likes

Truly a lot of thought, and effort put into this project - much respect!

And it’s a good idea too, somehow just having all these effects housed within the bass itself.

Any updates?

3 Likes

I’m going today to spend the weekend in North and visit. Stuart has invited me and the missus to spend a night on the boat too! Hope to be able to share my thoughts on the latest iteration.

3 Likes

@muff I look forward to reading any updates on the project.

Hi Vik and thanks so much for your welcome comments. I must first apologise for my lack of recent public facing! The project has been going well and, like many other development exercises it has gone off at a tangent (at least temporarily). Muff is visiting me in a few days and no doubt will want to post some comments of his own when I demo the latest prototype iteration. At least they’ll be from a real musician and not from an engineer pretending to be one. Hope we can converse further soon.

5 Likes

Tangents are a good thing though, and, in some way, are always useful! No need to apologise & do take your time to post the next iteration, whenever it’s ready - I think there are more users on this forum now from the time you started this thread, so, probably more insights and interest here now. It is such a neat idea, but no doubt with tons of logistics to engineer… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, a short update. First, I’m not really allowed to discuss the “build” or describe the functions more than Stuart has already published on the research page- http://pedalinabass.org/ Stuart now has plans to patent his invention. The guy really is a Polymath.
But I have now tried iteration 2. And in reply to a few it was exactly as described. The fundamental tone was incredible and he added some bells and whistles, because he could. One of them is a trick on the brain that would be a pedal in itself.
I do feel honoured to be the first to try a new idea in producing bass tone. I wish I could be more flamboyant with my descriptive but it’s not possible. I do however thank everyone for the interest and comments.

5 Likes

Very impressive, @muff . . .:open_mouth:

Wishing you both continued (and increasing) success!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Hi and thanks so much for your well wishes. As Muff has indicated, I can’t go in to any detail now as the project will be subject to a patent application. Once that has happened I will of course be in a position to reveal more.

Again, thanks.

Stuart

4 Likes

I had been keeping up with your web site periodically and had wondered why you stopped updating. With a patent in play, it all makes sense now.

2 Likes