Pedalboard PSU Question

Looks for delay :eyes:

Those UA pedals are so sexy. The cool thing is that you can use them for any instrument.

3 Likes

You are right, of course… UA also has the Starlight (delay/echo) - that would complete the trio! But, delay effects have so far been not so much on my radar/wishlist… But, yes, that can change :grinning:

Agreed! Very versatile and high-quality effect pedals!

3 Likes

Yeah same for me until I found out you can play on the tempo of your delay. It is perhaps my most favourite effect on my board. I started with the delay flashback pedal from TC Electronics but ended up with the carbon copy from MXR.

3 Likes

Yeah, absolutely - Josh has a great video on how to clean up your rhythm by practicing with a delay!

Man, if you keep doing this, you’ll cost me another 400 bucks :crazy_face: :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m not saying you should, but you should. :rofl:

Here is a nice demo from the JAM delay pedal. Phil Rehm is showing some nice practical examples (walking bass line, chords, basically stuff I like to do too). Iirc @Krescht is trying out the smaller version of this pedal.

4 Likes

Oh boy… giving me GAS on a rainy Saturday like this is very… very dangerous :crazy_face: :scream: :joy:

3 Likes

I have to say I find this to be just pure fun. It’s so trippy to groove into your own layering. It’s fun to get more than one tone of a chord going and then use the most recent note as the transition to the next chord.

3 Likes

You’re not helping, Dave :crazy_face:

4 Likes

wish I had found these guys years before I did

:+1:

2 Likes

Figured I’d ask here rather than jumpstart another topic. Quick question from an obvious newbie. I have a secondhand Voodoo Lab Power Pedal Supply x4. But I will have eight pedals after some Black Friday deals. What is the best option for connecting this to another unit? My budget’s limited. Thanks for advice~

1 Like

The least expensive thing is to put more than one pedal on an output with a chaining cable.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotMC5--truetone-1-spot-multi-plug-5-cable

You need to know how many mA your power supply is capable of. It may be one number overall or it may be so much for each output. Then look up how many mA your pedals draw and add them up. You can’t draw more mA than your power supply has on any output or overall.

Some people start to want isolated outputs if pedals are interacting with each other and making noise. But you could start with trying just the cable.

3 Likes

Agree with @DaveT.
Voodoo Labs makes the cables too.
I had a lot of splitters running until I got my daisy chained 2 VooDoo power supplies.
Worked like a champ.

3 Likes

Thanks, @John_E and @DaveT – I figured the total mA was the vital part. I added up the 8 pedals and it comes out to 550 mA. But the added four, I take it, may not be on isolated power, but as a daisy chain, right? Much obliged for your patience with someone finally getting started.

2 Likes

Gregor (basstheworld) just did a video about a Donner looper pedal, and they sent him a power supply too. Although he didn’t review the power supply, I believe he said it worked well, and it’s pretty cheap.

3 Likes

This crew is always happy to help.

That’s also assuming all the pedals need the same V and have the same center pin +- polarity.

2 Likes

I owned one of these and it was totally fine.

4 Likes

For that price it’s hard to not just get it!

3 Likes

@skydvr the Looper was a Donner Deal I got as one of the pedals awaiting “adoption” and “adaption.” Although these output splitters are pricier, Voodoo Labs sells 'em. I wish they were right angled, though. Just checking to make sure I get this right first time around. I guess I need four of these, not two (math’s my worst subject)?

[Output Splitter Adapter - Ground Lifted\ 270x232]

The Output Splitter Adapter allows two pedals to share a single Pedal Power output. This splitter features a single BLACK 2.1mm barrel plug to two BLACK 2.1mm jacks which connect to any standard power cable with a 2.1mm plug. The white striped side of the splitter cable is ground lifted to eliminate ground loops. Please note that this splitter will not alter or split the voltage of the original output – example, one 9V out splits into two 9V outs; one 12V out splits into two 12V outs.

Power Supply Connector: 2.1mm Straight Barrel Plug

Pedal Connector: Jack for 2.1mm Plug (2)
Polarity: Standard (Center Negative)
Length: 4 in / 10 cm

1 Like

That will work, but you may end up with more wires and plugs than you actually need.

What’s the model number of the VooDoo you have?

2 Likes

That was a fast reply, @DaveT ! It’s a 4x:
Four isolated 9V outputs
Supplies a total of 1000mA using AC adapter (500max per output) http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_x4.htm

1 Like