Pickups and Strings - find your bass' tone

Yeah, gold hardware, it’s an acquired taste like gold teeth :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was more interested in the pickup configuration.

2 Likes

So, some more thoughts on the EB Cobalt flats. It’s not I didn’t like the sound in isolation or the feel of the NYXL that I had on previously. But I somehow didn’t get the tone I wanted to hear in the mix with the band. Maybe they are a bit too piano-like (or guitar-like) for my tastes? Great flexibility, I’m sure with some more eq or effects I should have got the results I wanted, but I couldn’t. It seems that the EBs are a slightly better starting point in that I can tell the bass more easily from the guitar. They also feel much more flexible than classic flats, but the B string possibly has a bit more tension than the NYXL, which is a plus in this case.

On a similar note, I still don’t quite get the active eq on my TRBX. But from playing only passive, I switched to active mode with a little (low-)mid boost. The bass boost/cut sounds weird to me, and the changes in highs are barely perceptible only when playing with a pick. I rather faff around with the pick-up balance. One knob at a time, I guess.

I might be trying to get a P-Bass tone out of this :rofl:

It took me a while to realize that the tone I like on my bass when I am at home practicing is NOT the tone that will work in the “mix” ( mix here most often just means the less-than-perfect acoustics of a rehearsal space with drums banging away and a guitar player using three different amps).

In fact, the tone that works nice in the “mix” (i.e., the tone where I can hear myself play and get heard by the others) is quite unpleasant/quacky/extreme when heard in isolation.

My point: you need to find several “tones”, potentially one for each scenario and venue you play in :smile:

8 Likes

You got exactly the point :joy:
That’s why a 3-band eq seemed a good idea, being able to change stuff on the fly without having to move to the amp. Same with the 4 (or more) similar presets in the zoom pedal, I could test “live” what would work :grin:
But “hearing the tone I wanted” was really more “wanting to hear myself” without cranking the amp to 11. And after a few months of experimentations, I decided different strings might help - more for my lack of experience than anything else. And after the first rehearsal I’m quite pleased with the choice. I’ve kept the nyxl, they could come back on the bass at some point.

2 Likes

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

2 Likes

So I replaced the OE round wounds on my SR300e with LaBella LTF. On E, A and D it is just what I was looking for. The G string though is a little bright.

The wrap on the G is not nearly as tight as the others. Wondering if a) this affects tone (it must) and b) this is a QC thing or by design.

2 Likes

My LTFs were wrapped tight. To me that gap looks like a defective string.

1 Like

might be defective, they have had some quality issues.
Call them and they will ask for the pic, they will probably comp you a string.
They have done that for me a couple times now.

1 Like

Well, I finally got around to ordering some Thomastik jazz flats for the fake fender today :sweat_smile:

Managed to get a set for a whole £21 coming tomorrow from amazon! :joy:

About as much as I know about the bass itself, feels pretty solid & well set up though, and from what I can find on the pickups, (kind of a shame they’re ceramics and not the neodymiums, even better apparently), pretty good option.
It’s never seen much use though, because the current strings whatever they are, feel awful! :joy:
So we’ll see how that goes when they get here. :+1:

1 Like

Man, you scored on some killer strings! Congrats, @DeadPixels :+1:

1 Like

Looking forward to getting them on & giving it a go! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

WOW!

I am still trying to decide what bass mine go on, haven’t sorted it yet.

What do folks use them on here?

Had them on my fretless for a while… not bad, but I am really not a flats kinda guy and so I put rounds back on the fretless.

I have TI Jazz flats on my EBMM Cutlass. Not putting anything different on it from now on.

1 Like

I’ve got them on a 54 P with Q Pound pickup

1 Like

I also have mine on my 54P with the True Custom Shop pickups. They are staying.

I have mine on the Lakland DJ4 (passive jazz bass).
The combo works really well and is a pleasant alternative from the more modern sound (stainless rounds with active electronics) that I generally prefer.

Been playing a lot of mobile games for amazon gift vouchers :sweat_smile: nothin much better to do, so I figured why not! Staff discount & £25 voucher = £30 off :joy:

Only have 2 basses, so there’s not much deciding :rofl:

Seeking opinions and answers (Somewhat tone related):

1. What is a “modern bass”?
  2. Ideal PU config for a 5 string (B to G)?
  3. How important are frets 21 - 24?
  1. Modern generally refers to music man esque humbuckers or active electronics and ‘hot’ P pickups, etc. Basically ‘in your face klang’ vs. subdued thump.

2. PU config really depends on what you are doing with it, and can be anything.
    Generally J or humbuckers seem to be what’s on there but there are P and PJs too. All depends on the sound you are looking for and style you want to play.

3. Depends - I have trouble reaching them so for me, they are of zero importance. If you are going to do some fancy tapping and jazzier playing, maybe they matter?

1 Like