Pickups and Strings - find your bass' tone

Cobalts are noticeably darker in appearance; given the wrap is an iron and cobalt alloy (and tbh I am assuming mostly iron because I operate on the assumption that corporations are cheap asses, though I think calling them Irons or Iron Horse strings has a certain cool factor to it, too…). Maybe there is enough in there to help slow the iron rusting :joy: But yeah, they are a duller greyish color compared to bright, shiny nickel. A little sheen, but noticeably different compared to the frets they cross over.

Ernie Ball says they are smooth and silky to the touch. Maybe compared to a chainsaw, sure. The person in Marketing that decided that to be a thing needs to be fired, though, or at least under review. These are the roughest strings I have touched in a long time; only the stock strings that come on my Ibanez Mikro 5 are worse… The upper 3 strings are pretty smooth, but the lower two are pretty rough. I’ve compared them to Super Long Slinkies, Dunlop Super Brights, and Stringjoy, all of which are smoother though to be fair, the thickest Stringjoy I have atm is a .090. Still, Ernie Ball needs to GTFO on calling these things silky XD My fingers were even catching on them for a while, plucking hand I attributed to maybe the tension difference but my fretting hand? Slides weren’t as easy; it took some adjustment…

And, of course, the tone, that all-important four-letter word obsessively fawned over by musicians and driven ruthlessly by Marketing departments everywhere. They do sound good. Big, harmonically rich, bright, strong. I do really like the sound of them. My setup is too out of whack still to post a decent sound clip, imo, to compare to the Super Long Slinkies I took off.

I’m not super-missing the .105 E string as much as I thought, though tbh I would still prefer these to be a .85 and .105 set on the A and E strings, respectively. I would also like them available in Super Long scale, as these just barely fit on a 35" scale bass via top load on the bridge. But Ernie Ball doesn’t seem to care for either option, going back as far as nearly a decade that I saw on their own forum, and I don’t believe I can purchase a separate Cobalt .130, either, at least from what I’ve seen from dealers that sell individual strings. Buying a 5-string and 4-strring pack is ludicrously cost-prohibitive, even trying to recoup some costs by selling the .100-.045 set which is also a hassle I do not want to deal with when restringing several basses :joy:

And my hands smell strongly metallic when I’m done playing for even a few minutes. I’ve never noticed that all that much with nickel-plated strings and I have never used stainless steel, so I can’t comment there. Just a minor annoyance with my super-sensitive sense of smell.

Edit Of course now I am finding out cobalt can be considered a conflict mineral… sigh. Trying to find out where Ernie Ball gets it will probably be hard. Though it can also come from nic kel refining as a by-product…

Cobalt is not a conflict mineral and if you’re going to worry about that then you’d better worry about every electronic good you use. Tin and gold ARE conflict minerals and they’re in all electronics and most jewelry too.

Unlike tin and gold, you need cobalt to survive as well, in the form of vitamin B12.

1 Like

Cobalamin doesn’t require people to mine cobalt in unethical working conditions.

True. Cobalt metal doesn’t either - while the sub-Saharan African countries makes up the majority of production, Russia, Canada and others also produce quite a bit.

1 Like

It seems that I’m a Rotosound guy.

I have a P-clone with Steve Harris flats, a Peavey Milestone JJ with RL66 as rounds and a Peavey Patriot with Billy Sheehan as rounds on it.

I do like them with the right pickups they are awesome. I’m gravitating towards LaBella’s rounds as they are less bright. But keeping a set of these on something to get that bright tone thing. They really do have a. Lot of their own character.

Really digging these Cobalts; it’s as if the dexterity of the small, child-worker hands that mined the ore transfer to my own creaky digits. I can hear, and feel, the power behind the militia barking orders in my tone, and almost hear their words to work harder and faster, driving me to play harder and faster, too!

I guess time will tell if they rust or turn black like I’ve read, or get burrs/roughness to them (or even more…), I’ve seen people claim they practically eat frets, etc. I guess time will tell if they are also worth the cost. Strings that make claims of lasting longer inevitably also cost a lot more lol, which immediately makes the cynic in me go “these are more profit for them; people won’t be buying strings as often so they just charge more to not eat into their profits, so it’s more profit per string”

I even like the .100 and .80 pretty well, getting a touch more snap and pop out of them.

In other string-related news, Stringjoy has sent me three separate emails about their Foxwood coated acoustic strings. I get it. You have new coated strings. I don’t need to be told three times since they came out lol… meanwhile their YouTube channel doesn’t have a new video showcasing them XD

1 Like

They haven’t sent me any emails on their new coated strings, but they will be doing flats sometime this year.

My new Charvel will be getting Rotosound 77 Flats for the Di Marzio pickups (I just can’t stand Fender barbed wires); and the MDB5 will be getting Labell Low Tension flats for the Seymour Duncans

That’s my strings for the week

Let me know when you find some radioactive ones. Germanium transistor distortion is so old news.

I could have sent you plenty in 2011. Cobalt-58 and Cobalt-60 were literally falling out of the sky!

2 Likes

Well, I’m pretty sure Cobalt-60 doesn’t make it into guitar strings XD

I’m really tired of Discourse-powered forums yelling at and shaming me -_- lol…

Consider yourself lucky I’m not a hacker, HAL, or I’d put you on notice :eyes:

4 Likes

Pretty sure you can turn those off in your settings. I don’t see them at all

if I had to guess it’s this one “Skip new user onboarding tips and badges”

Sounds like something I would check

Except I have that checked XD oops.

Maybe @bassbot polished up his jackboots :smiley:

You’ve disabled me in your preferences. You need to allow new user onboarding tips to interact with me.

1 Like

1 Like

I got a set of Silvertone strings from Amazon for $10 - They are intended for the Soviet Space Bass (no way I am putting $35 Ernie Ball Cobalts or Stringjoys on that PoS right now lol). The price made me think of @T_dub from another post about what they pay for strings :smile:

1 Like