Pickups

I’m stuck in Slap module. The truth is that i bought a low budget Bass just for the beginning and every time I try to slap it i hear a crapy noise from pickups
Like boom!? Paf!? Something like that
I was thinking to buy new pickups what do you think?
Is a passive bass and i was looking for EMG Geezer Butler PHZ Black in Thomman

2 Likes

Has the bass had a setup? If you’re getting weird noises, doing a good setup will solve a lot of problems.

2 Likes

Skip the slap module and move on! You can always come back to it later (or never, depending on your preferences)! Don’t let it slow down your progress! Good luck!

5 Likes

Agree with @eric.kiser - set up the bass properly, you don’t need new pickups for any style.

Agree with @joergkutter - if you don’t love slap or it’s giving you trouble, skip it. Many have.

3 Likes

You might be hitting the strings onto the pole pieces of the pick up magnets (the shiny dots). You can try a setup of the bass and raise the string height, or try to slap further towards the neck (away from the shiny dots), or you could put a piece of tape over the shiny dots.

Setups can be done with very little equipment and are not that complicated. Just make small adjustments.

Cheers,
Antonio

4 Likes

After you have a good setup, IF pickups are in order, consider DiMarzio DP-122 Model P. Inexpensive, monster pickup, strong mids which you will want for slap, not too bright. Geezers are a great pickup, but rather scooped

But by all means setup first

3 Likes

This was my first thought too!
There’s some easy fixes for this if the full set up is too tricky.
I think some folks just slap some electrical tape over the shiny bits (the pole pieces) and it prevents the metal-to-magnet contact that makes that huge annoying pop of doom.

Am I right about the tape?
I did zero internet searching. Just remembering other bassists and things I’ve heard in the wild jungles of bass island.

4 Likes

yes it did work in some point
but im going to change pickups and strings as soos as i can

2 Likes