Playing for change?

冬だよ

To be honest I’ve never had a poorly built Gibson before, come to think of it I’ve never had any Gibson ever, lol

2 Likes

I was just joking around, @Al1885 ! :laughing:

I have owned only one Gibson, myself . . . a Gibson SG Bass. There’s a few pics of it on a thread somewhere here on the Forums. The Quality was fine. . . I just didn’t like it, is all.
Ah . . . . here you go:

It’s my understanding that lots of Gibby guitar owners are unhappy with poor quality, especially the way the headstock is angled back.

Anyway, I didn’t follow my own advice and try one one personally before buying it. Otherwise, I’m sure I wouldn’t have . . . :roll_eyes:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

I’ve never experienced a poor quality Gibson at all. A few les Paul I can across from my band mates were excellent. As for their basses, it;s not for me, lol.

1 Like

As for their budget brands, I have definitely run across poor quality Epiphones. Epiphone is not the same level as Squier in my experience. I tried one Epi Les Paul recently that was managing to have fret sprout felt through a binding.

I have never owned a real Gibson, and the ones I have seen in stores have been fine. But the stories are ubiquitous - a quick googling turns up plenty of Gibson QC stories.

Gibson had it rough. The QC was subpar (think the company had some internal issues). So it was better to look for a vintage Gibson or wait for a new production line and hope for the best. From what I read they solved the QC issues and I think the new studio line is great and affordable.

1 Like

everybody lately says they are fine now. but you wonder if it at this point is a damage is done thing, because the horror stories are now ubiquitous.

which, as you point out, may make them a bit of a bargain now.

Hard to tell, most guitar players I know still talk fondly about Gibson. I’m not that invested in them anyway, but I do have a friend working for Gibson. So just for him I wish them all the luck.

Some of the flack I’ve seen aimed at Gibson is also the price they charge for the guitars vs what they pay their workers. Iirc there was an anonymous factory worker that claimed under $19 an hour in a city with a very high cost of living. I believe he also said he had a quota of 16 guitars a day, maybe was a sander.

This may of course vary all across the board.

I’m almost predestined to love Gibsons due to my pickup and style preferences, and I actually would, except I have disliked every one I have tried to play :rofl:

Les Pauls look awesome, sound even better, and yet they do not ergonomically fit me at all.

Gibson’s big problem is they have a number of competitors that blow them away for price versus quality. I mean even more so than Fender - think about Paul Reed Smith here. I totally don’t get why anyone would even consider Gibson over PRS for a very similar style, but YMMV.

Gibson just went through a big price hike up here and the rumors of QC make it even harder to swallow. I have always seen them as pricey but when I see the price tags on the Murphy’s line at over $10k I would demand every square inch to be perfect.

As far as forcing myself to play an instrument that I don’t exactly find that comfort, I’d have to say the award goes to my Fenders. It was always a bit tricky to compare it against the Warwicks but the price factor evens the ‘playing’ field. But when I picked up an Ibanez SR600E I was wondering why they were not all that comfortable to play in one way or another.

1 Like