Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Maybe not Dark Country, but definitely Americana and a duo. It’s an interesting style. Not to get off the covers (though this group does covers).

1 Like

this is a cover from Primus I believe ?

2 Likes

The original song is Primus, in the style of duo de twang

Here is a different one

They also do a Man in The Box and Stayin Alive cover in this style.

1 Like

Very nice Laurent, @terb, your bass line fitted in really nicely :sunglasses:
But no T-Shirt :thinking:
great job
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Other than your cover what are some examples of dark country you’d recommend?

2 Likes

this one is not really dark country, but I’ve made a few darker covers : Dark country | BASS COVERS ON THE COUCH

also we have a thread about this : Dark country / modern bluegrass

thanks Brian but I don’t know what is this obsession with band t-shirts ; I just wear my normal clothes … sometimes it’s a Slayer t-shirt but sometimes it’s just a jersey :grin:

anyway thank you all for your kind words ! very appreciated as always :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great job @howard! Awesome work on the production!

4 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Excellent bass line @terb! I’m getting to like more dark country after listening to your covers.
Good job!

4 Likes

Yes, but it is not really a cover if the original artist is playing it is it?

6 Likes

sure, this is the hard question of the auto-cover … for example if I wrote a song for a band where I was playing the guitar, and now I record a different bass line over it, is it a cover or a composition, or both ?

3 Likes

Depends on if you or your label hold the rights to the song :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, in legalese that would be the fact,
but
in the common sense world (very often contradicted by the legal world), if Les Claypool writes the song and plays / records it with Primus, then sits down and plays it on acoustic bass, is it a cover or is it just unplugged.
Or do we consider all unplugged performances covers of a band by the band that did the original?

2 Likes

this is the gray zone of covers I guess :grin: but if an artist plays the bass line of its composition unplugged , it’s not a cover in my opinion. it’s just a different version of the song.

it’s like Helter Skelter : I don’t think it’s really a cover when it’s played by P.McCartney

2 Likes

Great great job, @howard

6 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hmm, in this case it is a variation of the song, played a bit differently with an entirely different guitar part, tempo and style…not sure lol

2 Likes

Here’s my cover of “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” by one of my favorite bands – The Band. The song is about the American Civil War, sung from the perspective of a Confederate (southern) soldier. I’m not a big civil war history buff, but I do love this song.

(P Bass with flats, direct to interface. Bass is boosted in mix)

In memory of Levon Helm, 1940-2012

14 Likes

Awesome cover of one of my favorite Southern Rock songs @bjams. You did a great job of keeping the rhythm and staying with the chords.
I’m glad to see so much Southern Rock and Dark Country being covered. Those are some great genres of music that many people don’t appreciate.

5 Likes

You can boost that bass even more, it’s not very audible on crescendo parts…as for playing, it seems like you nailed it.
:+1:

3 Likes