Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Whoa! I love the Bauhaus original but had not heard that metal cover. I like it :slight_smile:

Well done on your cover! love the video work.

6 Likes

Ooh that sounds great. Agree the new pickup is doin well there. Not muddy at all, even with BEAD and drive.

6 Likes

that’s a great cover @MattHinchliffe ! well played with a nice and appropriate tone, and also you did a very good job about the video editing ! congrats
:grin::+1:

5 Likes

Nice tone and performance. I’m with @PamPurrs Pam, not something you’l find in my playlist but I appreciate the work put into it. Good job Laurent!

PS: I got to get me a cool hat for my covers. Too much shiny baldness in my videos.

6 Likes

Great first cover Matt! Not my kind of music but well play and outstanding video work!

5 Likes

Nice cover @MattHinchliffe. Not the kind of music I would listen too, but you did a nice job on the bass.

What’s with the disguise? I promise I won’t tell anyone I saw you here :rofl:

5 Likes

Great cover @terb and the bass sounds really good. Got to confess my first thought was “terbs not using a pick this time !” but you soon sorted that out :joy:

And that’s a great first cover @MattHinchliffe.

5 Likes

After a 3 week hiatus those years working for Apple computers paid off and I was able to install a new SSD and repair my failed hard drive in my iMac. To test things out I recorded a cover of Tom Sawyer from Rush. It isn’t perfect and after updating everything on my Mac in the last few days some of the programs changed so I added a filter to make me a cartoon primarily because without it I look like Sasquatch lol. Hope you guys and gals like the tune and enjoy.
Tom Sawyer (Rush)

10 Likes

Very nice cover of my favorite Rush song. Great tone, and your groove is spot on!

4 Likes

Thank you @PamPurrs You are too kind

4 Likes

Whoa! Definitely not an easy one. Could hear some of Geddy’s tone in there too, you did well with bass tone.

Loved the cel shading video effect too - I am a sucker for cel shaded graphics :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice cover Laurent, @terb,
Not my type of music, appreciate your work​:+1::sunglasses:
Love the hat👍
Nice tone from the bass, liked the way you went from fingers to pick😎
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @MattHinchliffe,
Nice first up cover, not my type of music but can appreciate your effort👍
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great cover @LesterH :+1:
I was a massive Rush fan in the early 80s and Geddy Lee was definitely a hero of mine.
Hearing you play this may well have reignited an old interest

5 Likes

Nice response Pam :joy::rofl: @PamPurrs​:+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Nice tone on that bass Lester, @LesterH, plenty of around the fretboard on this track, loved the video :+1:, very cool.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Good job and great tone on the cover @LesterH!

2 Likes

Nice! Quite a challening one, too!

So, I need to ask again (knowing very well that there is another thread on this topic): how did you filter out the original bass line here? Did you EQ it out or are you using the RX8 approach? EQ’ing seems to work best if the bass is mostly within a certain frequency range, but, as is the case also here, when you often go up the neck and also have lots of higher pitched notes in the bass, how do you best do it??

Also: have you gotten that Ibby 6-string yet??? :grin:

6 Likes

@Mac @TNKA36 and @JerryP thank you. I got my mistakes in there for sure but that comes with learning songs by ear sometimes. @joergkutter as for EQ I usually drop the bass the best I can with dropping frequencies in the EQ on the main track. However, with this track Geddy is all around the frequency range and it doesn’t drop all the way so there is some Geddy in there. I also found a tone print setting to achieve some of that tone. As for the Ibby 6er I have one on order that should come by the end of the week I had to go with an SR version though because I dropped so much money fixing my iMac. I will get the one I want sometime later this year for sure though

5 Likes

@joergkutter when I get the six string I will post a little demo of it for you.
As for the tone and stuff in my video I get asked a lot about effects and such, I don’t really use any effects for tone I set my TC Electronic amp to where it just about clips and then back it off a little. Then most of the tone rolls with how I EQ my bass and amp. For one part of the song I did use the over drive a little to grab that Geddy sound. I think for those who follow this thread and see these really amazing players producing top notch video productions etc. it can be motivational and it could be discouraging. I see people with all of these amazing basses and amps and they sound great look good but you know it is totally possible to grab good tone through something like what I am playing here (not that I am good or a pro) just a simple 100.00 pawn shop squire j bass and a simple 250.00 bass head. No effects pedals or other equipment. It is really cool to have such an amazing group of players to encourage one another and inspire others it truly is a wonderful group

6 Likes