Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks for the advice. I definitely plan to have another stab at it and try to get a more balanced sound.

5 Likes

Very nice Laurent, @terb,
great mix with really nice tone :+1:
The bass setup through the electronics was really awesome,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice job @Liffguard,
great job with both hands on the fret board.
You looked right in the the groove :+1:
These types of covers with plenty of space are more challenging IMO, because you have to be right on time with the changes, and you did a really good job of that :sunglasses:
I agree the bass was a bit washed out in the mix, but it didn’t take anything away from it.
Nice to see another 5ver, and standing as if your playing live is heaps better than sitting.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I concur completely!

3 Likes

Great job, and really like that tone @Liffguard . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Thanks, it was honestly a struggle to come in on time at the very start of the song. Took me about seven takes to get that right. After that it wasn’t too bad sticking to the groove, until the final section after the bridge where it took about another five takes to come in on time. :sweat_smile:

I have to admit I usually use a 4-string. Went with a 5-string on this one because otherwise I’d have to downtune the E-string by a semitone to hit the low D#. But that made it slightly too floppy and wasn’t great to play. Also, the B-string opened up some easier fretting options.

5 Likes

Indeed it does! :+1:

4 Likes

Well played! Yeah, EQing away the bass cna be a tricky balance.

3 Likes

Great cover as I’ve sort of come to expect from @terb
And great job @Liffguard ! My daughter was a massive Biffy Clyro fan and you certainly nailed this.
The Cult @T_dub ? So many decent sounds to choose from. Sweet Soul Sister perhaps

4 Likes

Cult
Wildflower
Lil Devil
Peace dog

DEVO - you got it right :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Thanks Pam, I am glad you enjoyed it, and helped to make it possible, so thamks again

Yeah, lots of great stuff from the Cult.
The problem is that Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy WERE THE CULT, and that made that damn clear within the band. I saw a documentary, and there was a time the bass player tried to show them a somg( lyrics and bass line) that he wrote to help with with the album, and they both, not even reading the song or listening to the bassline turned to him and Billy says, Ian and I write for the cult, you just play what you are told to.
So
Than and other times where he would try to add a little roll, or offer a little different take on the baseline they were working on, again, they would say, no, play it like we said.
Unfortunately, ot fortunately in some cases, the base line is really simple, cuz it was written by the guitarist, and was just to follow the guitar parts.
In one sense, it adds to the raw hard rock simple style and sounds great, but they are pretty easy to learn, with so fre notes and changes, almost a little boring to play, but then again, it is played very tight, and timing is everything, and you can’t fake it with these songs. So I play, somewhat boring songs (on bass) over and over to lock in on the timing.
Don’t get me wrong, it becomes a challenge to get the timing, but also to sit thru the same song over and over to get it right.

But that’s also good, cuz it’s the kind of song that you will always have in your arsenal, cuz you play it so many times to get it right.

Don’t get me wrong, their songs sound great, some of which is cuz the simple baseline, some is the timing, and much is cuz the singing, and the coolness factor of the songs.

As of now, my next cover will be another Pistol song. Still waiting for the rest of the songs from my buddy. I have all the pistol ones I asked for now. Just don’t have DEVO, Danzig or The Cult.
I was also thinking to do some B-52 covers, but will have to listen to a bunch to see which I would attempt.

4 Likes

Tons of good choices with the B-52s. Private Idaho would be really fun.

4 Likes

Really good one @terb. You play the way you want to, and you are good enough to make it work, weather you hit the bass line as recorded ( which you rarely do it seems) and the line you create or improvise always work well. I aspire to be able to work like that.
I love Minor Threat, and have likes what Fugazi I have listened to, I just don’t know all their stuff.

Here is a fun fact, although you probably already know.
Ian Anderson was in another Band with Al Jorgensen of Ministry and I believe Ginny Haynes from The Butthole Surfers.

The Band was called LARD. The most popular or successful song was FORK BOY and it made the soundtrack to the Oliver Stone film Natural Born Killers.
If memory serves me right, been a long time since listening to it, but I had the vinyl, and the soundtrack on CD.

No wait, just remembered, and don’t wanna delete and retype, on my IPad right now and that can be a pain.

It was not Giibby Haynes of the Butthole surfers
It was
Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedy’s.

Of course it is a political song, as are most that come out of that trio.
With lines like
“ he who has the fork in his hand can choose the meal of his choice”

Other songs are covers of old old songs like. ‘Coming to take me away”
Lyrics
“ they are coming to take me away he he”
“They are coming to take me away Ha ha”
They are coming to take me away he he ha ha Ho Ho”

3 Likes

So many Al and Paul side projects. They are up there with Bill Leeb and Rhys Fulber for that.

In fact I think Bill Leeb might have even done stuff with RevCo or Ministry, sort of like Ogre did.

3 Likes

no I didn’t knew about Lard !

4 Likes

Basically the entire Wax Trax and Nettwerk catalogues from that period were awesome.

Nettwerk for electro-industrial, Wax Trax for that and industrial punk/metal. Lots of cross-pollination between the two labels.

3 Likes

“Love Shack” is on the list of songs I’m probably going to learn to play. Very funky and groovy.

“Rock Lobster” sounds fun too.

7 Likes

Love Shack has a great bassline. Sara Lee on bass!

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s all over the place and very melodic. It doesn’t sound like you’d get bored playing it, that’s for sure.

6 Likes

Thanks Laurent! The bass seems to be working out better than I expected for this trip.

4 Likes