Post your covers! (2019-2022)

that’s a really well chosen word actually ! to me it’s not good or bad, it’s just a tonal characteristics to be expected from a hollow short scale bass. you can like it or not, I guess you do if you bought this Hofner :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Like @terb said, it’s a special tone you get with flats on older P basses with bridge covers that dampen the sound and get it more…well…spongy. You can get that sound with other basses as well as long as you have flats on them and play on neck pickup. You can also add sponge under the strings next to the bridge to accentuate the sponginess.

This is what I’m talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wslZrcc6mMU&t=108s

4 Likes

(actually I was not speaking about the foam thing, more something like a “cloudy”, “fluffy” attack - not very different I guess)

4 Likes

Mixing and mastering is indeed a pretty deep skillset. Don’t get frustrated, just realize that there’s a lot more to music production than meets the eye :slight_smile:

It’s actually probably more complicated to mix a new instrument track with something that is already mixed and mastered - it’s already been mixed around it’s pre-existing bassline, and maximized via compression and limiting on the master bus when they produced the song. And then dithered. Trying to mix something new and clean into that will be challenging to get perfect, so don’t sweat it.

6 Likes

Great cover @PamPurrs. Possibly my favourite of yours as yet!
The Hofner really suits you too

4 Likes

Look at this guy, taking requests already. HAHAHA
No, I will look thru their catalogue, and I will check both of them out and see if I am up for it. thanks for the suggestions

7 Likes

Great job @PamPurrs! Sorry for the late response, been busy with work this week. I left a comment on your website as well.

3 Likes

Thank you @Mac. I actually thought of you when I was selecting background photos. I knew you’d like the horse photos :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Thank you for the comment @JerryP. I guess your 2 week vacation is over LOL

3 Likes

It sure is. :frowning:

4 Likes

Nice job Pam @PamPurrs,
i left comments on your webpage,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks Brian @TNKA36

4 Likes

Finished another one, this one was in progress for a long time.

1987-88 was a year that my life changed drastically, and this song is attached to that. As were a lot of feelings, some that I shoved down far too deep for far too long. Doing this cover was really therapeutic in a way.

https://youtu.be/HDtP7FSvV3I

Me on bass, drum programming, synths and vocals. My bandmate bringing it home on guitar again.

Bass: Yamaha TRBX604FM through Kuassa Cerberus
Guitars: Gretsch 5120 through Kuassa Amplifikation Matchlock
Synthesizers: Kilohearts Phase Plant
Drums: Steven Slate Drums 5
Mic: Shure SM58
Plugins: Many from Kilohearts, iZotope and Melda.

Tracked and mixed in Reaper.

15 Likes

Sounds very professionally mixed, @Howard . . . :slight_smile:

Great job! :+1:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Thanks Joe!

4 Likes

I really like the bass tone on this one, deep without being too dark or fat. also not muddy at all.

5 Likes

Great work Howard, @howard,
Very nice on all levels,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Awesome production, great work

5 Likes

Good job @howard

5 Likes

Thanks everyone!

This one was a really important one for me, along with Temptation, kind of helping close the door on a bunch of stuff that came bubbling up like a time capsule a while back.

Thanks! That’s actually the TRBX going in passive with the tone rolled off a bit, and then quite a bit going on in effects, including some multiband boost and overdrive, a HPF trimming all the mud away, and then some final EQ in Neutron:

I also love my current amp sim.

5 Likes