Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Hope the meet with the band went well… Nice job on Paranoid. One question - I’m hearing a bit of a click on some of the notes - any chance one of your nails is catching the string? It really catches my ear during the chugging, and was just wondering if my theory was correct… Probably not noticeable in a full band/live context…

As far as Whiskey in the Jar, any chance you’d be willing to share your transcription (or where you got it)? Love Metallica’s version of that song… If not, cool - just figured I’d ask…

Good luck with the band!

5 Likes

Hey! Yeah it went great, I got nice compliments on my playing and even on one glorious moment while playing Californication the drummer lost grip of one of his sticks and the rest of the band relied on me keeping the rhythm and I held my own just fine!

You are %100 right with the long nails thing to my usual playing the length was just fine but playing this close to neck with the strokes at that angle it became more obvious… I trimmed them shorter and started playing on the Pups since then…

Sure!

This is a chord chart I prepared, it suggests the duration of the chords as well.

I am using G-F# for the 3 and 4 beat at the beginning and every time I am switching to the Em chord.

With the band we are playing on standard tuning (EADG)

I’m also using a couple of extra passage notes like G-B to C when switching between Em and C, something smiliar going back to G like B-F# to G

Otherwise it is chugging.

Meanwhile I’m getting inspired by this guy here

I will try to make cover for this and other pieces, just didn’t want to flood this thread…

I had to learn 11 pieces in total in the last 10 days to play with two bands. Non of the pieces are %100 but I can go through till the end with all of them and keep up… As I get better I’ll be posting updates hopefully

6 Likes

No, don’t worry, thats the point of the thread, COVER AWAY!!1

4 Likes

Much appreciated! And great to hear about the band going well!

4 Likes

A definite “work in progress” @PamPurrs Pam… Your. Over is certainly one that is VERY GOOD!!! To just “do as good” would be something that would work for me!!.. Anyway, it’s just a song that I’m playing with on and off right now while I’m working at trying to get the right tones out of one of my P bass’s…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

Hi Bassbuzz friends,
Please find link for my latest cover, I am sticking with some Aussie Bands for a while.
Here is my second track from Australian Crawl with Guy Mcdonough on vocals.
Sadly Guy passed away in 1984.
He provided lead vocals on many of their iconic tracks including “Errol” and “Oh no not you again”.
I have them in the pipeline to cover at a later date.
Please enjoy my cover of “waiting” and as usual all feedback is appreciated.
Keep on Rocking,
Cheers Brian
https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2021/05/20/waiting/

10 Likes

Thank you @Lanny Lanny!

3 Likes

Well done @TNKA36 Brian!
Don’t know the song but you sure did do it justice!

4 Likes

Very nice @TNKA36. I left a comment on the site as well.

3 Likes

Thanks Pam @PamPurrs & John @John_E,
Look out for some more from Aussie crawl.
I have done the original version of “Downhearted “ with the nice sax piece in it but haven’t gotten around to uploading it. yet,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Brian,
Apologies for not listening right now. Currently in transit and will check it out when I get home.

5 Likes

My apologies too @TNKA36.
Been in and out of various appointments all week ( in fact the last month) so everything has taken a back seat even the V build and practice has been pushed back to silly o’clock.
I will try and have a listen over the weekend :+1:

5 Likes

that’s a great cover @TNKA36 ! in my opinion it’s one of your bests, if not the best cover you recorded so far. your timing is very good, you’re perflectly locked into the groove from A to Z. also a very nice bass tone, but this is not unusual :slight_smile:

congrats, that’s what I call a good job !

8 Likes

@TNKA36 You look and sound great! I really love watching these covers to capture the moment it actually happened!

I enjoyed watching you move to the groove and the tone on the P-Bass is super consistent!

6 Likes

@skydvr Here is my Whiskey in the jar Cover…

I couldn’t find a bass backing track and I was lazy to tune to drop D and change the notes accordingly (our band is playing this on standard tuning so transposed to Em as I have mentioned before)

I waited until I got my ODB-3 to record this!

9 Likes

Very well played @Fahri, good job.
How are you capturing the audio? are you going thru a DAI, or just the phone?
The bass sounds a little saturated, not much, but a little bit.
Also, have you tried playing with your right writs out a little, so your plucking fingers pick across the strings instead of down and across?
I have been trying to be more aware of this with my own playing, as it gives a bit better tone IMO. Especially if you adjust your wrist angle as you move to the upper strings, instead of changing the angle your fingers pluck down into the strings. The downward attack works better if you are plucking close to the neck, but back by the pick up, I think it adds what sounds a little like fret buzz, and when I had just re-set my bass, and still sounded a little like buzz, when I changed my wrist angle, and plucked more across, I was finding better results.
You did a great job, and I am sure it will fit in nicely when playing with others, so I am probably only noticing it because of playing over a backing track, or I could be imagining it too.

4 Likes

Nice job Brian, you played it very well, with awesome tone.

4 Likes

Great covers @TNKA36 and @Fahri :sunglasses:

Got to confess I put your cover on @TNKA36, saw it said “Waiting “, thought oh it’s loading up, walked away and made a cuppa before coming back to it . Then realised the track was called Waiting :crazy_face::flushed:

6 Likes

Lol, I’m glad you posted that. I did a similar thing but was afraid to admit it :joy:

6 Likes

I’m glad it wasn’t just me lol :joy:

5 Likes