Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Hah I love all that 70s stuff - the fashions were really cool too, although I was stuck with stripy jumpers and bowl hearcuts …

Yes it’s the Ibanez again. Really versatile little bass that one :+1:

2 Likes

Nice job @Ed ,
Cool tone and you really looked like you were right in the groove,
As mentioned couple little timing things, but you made it your own :+1:
Love the Hawkwind T-shirt,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes
7 Likes

I was on the train to funky town :smiley:

Yeah I don’t wear the t-shirt out that much but what a belter of an album :metal:

3 Likes

Nice work! Hey are all those instruments yours? :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Yes! A collection obtained over 30 years

4 Likes

Don’t know the song, and couldn’t really hear the backing track, but I liked your playing @Mutebassplayer … I notice you do a lot of thumb-plucking - just a style you developed, or did it come from previous experience?

3 Likes

Nice job @Mutebassplayer ,
Love your guitar collection,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I like to use all fingers depending on sound I’m going for

6 Likes

I would love to hear your bass properly mixed with the track … because it sounded great, both dynamics and tone … “remaster” pls !

3 Likes

That sounded great @Mutebassplayer . I’m not familiar with the song but you performance was in the groove.
:+1:

1 Like

Hi Bass Buzz friends,
Please find link to my latest cover.
I am slowing working my way through Chris Isaak’s library.
I really like the openness of this bass line, its one that you really have to lock into the kick drum on, so please enjoy and as usual all feedback, good bad or ugly is appreciated,
Keep on Rockin,
Cheers Brian

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2021/09/15/nothings-changed/

5 Likes

Great job @TNKA36 Brian!
Nice and rumbly bass line, love it, sounded great.

4 Likes

Awesome Brian @TNKA36 very nice tone from the bass and you played it perfectly as usual.
My dream is to someday be as good as you and be able to crank out such awesome covers as frequently as you do. I’m sure I’ll get there someday…

5 Likes

Thanks John, @John_E it’s a great bass line and I am working my way towards getting my own Chris Isaak album in the bag,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks Pam, @PamPurrs ,
You’re covers are right up there😎,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I just got an Amazon Certified Refurgished late 2015 Imac.
This is capable to run the latest Big Sur and any of the other OS X operating systems.
I am currently running Catalina, the last OSX, prior to the OS 11 upgrade. I will wait a while until I do that, wait for all the bugs to run out.

I can run graraeband free, and almost any DAI is comparable as a plug and play into the iMac.
You can also get many to most DAW if you prefer to not use GarageBand (although it has been perfectly capable for me and many others on here to get the job done, and it is best of all, FREE of charge.
Reaper is another one, I think it may have a slightly higher learning curve, but I think you can download if for free, and if you want to keep it beyond 80 to 90 days, it is a very reasonable $60 IIRC.

Back to the Imac. Mine runs perfectly, and I have plans to upgrade it slightly to get more performance out of it, and those upgrades will cost roughly $40-$50 dollars total.

This certified refurbished Imac from Amazon, with a 90 day return policy and 1 year warranty cost only $390. It was completely plug and play, it came with the Apple keyboard and mouse (although wired mouse, so I choose to use my own) and, even tho it came with High Sierra out of the box, I was able to upload Catalina in about 30 minutes, and it is a completely stable upgrade.

IDK what you are thinking about playing, but Ibreifly saw the $2000 to $3000 range, and I can attest to the fact aha a $400 computer can do everything you would want, or need, that is, if you can stomach apple products, some hate them, some love them. Usually thrones that love them do so because they work, and the others the hate them, do so because their other crab usually doesn’t work and they are jealous. (I am mostly kidding, and not trying to start a war here, just being a little funny, in my own way).

Think if you spend $400 got s perfectly capable iMac (all in one, so convenient desktop space too), then about $100 for a DAI (digital audio inter, needed to get your bass or vocals or other instruments into the computer thru the interface, like a Focusrite, persons, Mackie, Behringer, etclll). then ZERO to $60 for the DAW (digital audio workshop), the place you arrange your tracks and export your work for others to hear, and you get a few other gadgets, like nice headphones, possibly a Amp head that you can run before your DAI, into the computer (not necessary, but why not), plus other things you would need for actual life playing, like an Amp, pedals, effects processor, and a whole slew of other cool items, nice straps, strings, bridges, tuners, all sorts of things to upgrade on your bass…
ANS
We have not even talked about your bass yes.
So take that $3k for a computer, and chop it down to $500 (to get all you need for home recording. Lets add another $250, just for cools stuff, lessons, online courses, membership to ultimate guitar tabs, to find your favorite bass lines mapped out for you to learn (taken with a grain of sals, not all tabs are accurate).

So lets say you have spent $800 or your $3000 budget, but you don’t even have a bass yet.

Ok, lets go shopping.
Stargint off, I am gonna throw you a bone. My favorite bass, and many others here agree (just as many don’t) but for the price and quality, lets start you out with a SBMM Stingray Ray4. $299. Probably the best bass you can get for tahat price, and it is a peach of a bass. the weak point is the pick up. so that is an easy fix, for between $50 and $150, we can get you a pick up to drop in, that will make the bass phenomenal.

So, we are at $1200 of that $3000 you were going to drop on a PC or laptop, and from what I gather, you have all that you need, plus the sickest bass around, and another $1800 to shop on more basses, and amps before the budget os spent.

lets do you one other bass. This one will be one of the coolest Squires to come around in years. The Squire Paranormal. I beleive it is a $400 picetag, so you are still running around with $1400, you have a computer, DAI, DAW, 2 basses, and now its time to go for some amps and pedals to get you going.

The easy pick is the ZOOM B1x-Four for $120. It is a device that is not only useful out of the box, it is an invaluable teacher, and once you learn how to program it, you will have learned how to use REAL pedals, and have taken all the guess work out of spending and scrapping high dollar pedals that you will eventually end up buying to make a pedal board.

So, after all this is done, you need an amp, and I beleive you still have about $1160 left to work with.

I love SWR myself, but they are no longer made, so you have to go used to get them, and if you love them like I do, you can find them for good prices nd they will last you forever and love like a good woman should.
MarkBass, I have a hugh thing for them, pretty pricey, not all that versatile.
Ampeg, one of the classic sounds, and hard to mistake when you hear one, but notify cup to tea. Gallien Krueger, Orange, Genzler or genz Benz are all ones that you should seriously take a look at. Get Al. @Al1885, he is a great source for small, light weight, but awesome sounding amp, so with the $1400 you have left over, I am sure you will only need to spend 1/2 of that and get your self southing clooking

4 Likes

@T_dub guided me to a Ray4 @MikePhil and to the replacement Aguilar pickup too. It’s most definitely the cheapest bass I’ve bought out of the box and most definitely one I will never sell. Great tone and an absolute pleasure to play. I really can’t praise it enough

3 Likes

Great job on the song, Brian! The tone was the first thing that hit me when you started playing. Another great cover!
:+1:

4 Likes

Thanks Jerry, @JerryP ,
Yes for some reason the bass is really dominant on this recording, i did play around with the input levels on the DAI.
The timing on this song was also a key in nailing it.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes