Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Did seem a bit “clean” for your style @terb, but very well done none the less. Do love the tones you’re getting from the tuning as well as the SBV.

Since I’m not one for playing my bass with a pick ( although I do enjoy the tonal attack), is there a certain gauge pick that you prefer to use on different music genres, styles, and string gauges? Just curious…

3 Likes

that’s a big topic indeed. I mostly use a Dunlop Ultex 1.14 which is quite stiff, it works well for solid attacks and general use. but when I need to play really fast like on the Pluto Crevé cover, I use a softer pick (0.71) because it avoids getting stuck in the string. I probably don’t choose the best words to explain that phenomenon :sweat_smile:

about string gauge its also a difficult subject because as I always change from one tuning to another, the string tension changes greatly. the SBV is strung in 45/105 and Greenie is in 40/100. in Drop C# (like on this Awooga song) the 105 string has a low tension.

Conclusion : I need a bass with a 110 low string ! :grin:

I’d say that if I need to play fast I prefer a high tension string and a soft pick, and otherwise I prefer a moderate tension and a stiff pick.

3 Likes

Or you need a bass with a .135 low B string :slight_smile:

2 Likes

work in progress :kissing_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Great sound, @terb . . . really nice! :+1:

:slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

edit: kind of reminds me of “Bullet the Blue Sky” by U2 . . . :metal:

2 Likes

I like the beanie! Of course, I use them a bit to disguise a receding hairline, and some graying hair when I’m playing with a younger crowd, lol :rofl: And because it’s just cold out a lot of the time here.

Great cover btw!

4 Likes

Wait, what beanie??? I must have missed this, as I was only and intently listening to the bass… of, course! As we all should… :joy:

4 Likes

Nice job @terb!

3 Likes

@Lanny The overalls and shine did it for me…very authentic :rofl:

Awesome…seriously…so adventurous.

3 Likes

Nicely done on the Awooga cover @terb!

Very 90’s Tool sounding IMHO…

And your kitty sold it… got behind you and settled in for some deep crunching nap time!

2 Likes

@terb Great work, as usual. Also, that beanie works for you and serves the song well.

2 Likes

@Lanny The My Girl cover sounds so totally locked-in, you nailed it!

Also I find the thing about the variations and how they fit the lyrics really fascinating, I love learning about little details and techniques like that, which I never knew existed.

And the bucket bass… just wow… :astonished:
Trouble is now you’ve got me wanting to make a cigar-box guitar or something. Lucky I don’t have a cigar-box!

3 Likes

@terb I’ve come back to listen to Attaque et tue a couple of times now. That bass sound is HEAVY! Love it!
I find it funny that my brain keeps trying to process that song in English for the first 30 seconds, then it clicks to ‘oh, you’re hearing French…’ and then I still don’t really understand! :sweat_smile: (like maybe a few words here and there)

Also really liking the drop C# thing. Nice work!

3 Likes

Thanks @infra. When I learn any song I also like to learn some of the history to it. I guess knowing the roots of a song somehow helps me connect mentally to it and helps me to lock in and play it just a little bit better.

As for the gutbucket… (spoiler alert)… It’ll come out again in another (probably my next) cover - only this time along with one of my other bass’s, and in a song that one was actually used to promote the album that the song was in…

3 Likes

Interesting point about learning the history of a song. I remember I had a revelation once about this. My best friend had written a song about a heartbreak he went through. I knew the words in the song were very emotional for him. Then I realized this is how a lot of songs are for the writers. Before then, they were just words in a song without emotion attached.

4 Likes

Down On The Corner by Credence Clearwater Revival (CCR). It was the featured song on the 1969 album “Willy and the Poor Boys”. The song tells a story about a “Jug Band” called Willy and the Poor Boys who played on the streets . The song even mentions ‘Blinky’ who played the “Gut Bass” (Washtub/Gutbucket) so I included my own “Gutbucket Bass” into the cover.

The song, was written by John Fogerty who claims that bassist Stu Cook could not play the bass properly for the song. It took six weeks to record the song, and Fogerty said that the problem was because Cook had “No Rhythm”…

8 Likes

Dude, I love that song, and that bassline! You learn them so fast, and just crankin’ them out nowadays :slight_smile: And the video editing too, gettin’ to be a pro + the playalong on the Gut Bass - man, you’re just having too much fun, love it!!

5 Likes

another great cover :grin: I love CCR, and I love seeing this single string Gut-thing

the timing seems pretty difficult here, you’re not very far but, yes, I think it must be hard to do a perfect job on this bass line ! anyway this cover still works pretty well ! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Great cover and video production!
CCR is one of my favorite bands.
Jerry

2 Likes

Excellent, @Lanny . . . :slight_smile:

Ditto what @Vik said! :wink:

2 Likes