Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Nice, really enjoyed this @Ed! It was cool to share something from the vaults that most of us would probably have never heard otherwise. Great playing and tone throughout, just pure rock and roll, love it. Not sure what parts you improvised but the walkups during the solos sounded very cool.

3 Likes

Nice job @Ed ,
Couldnā€™t understand a word they said, the Ricky sounded good,
Very 60ā€™s psychedelic, hope ya had your acidā€‹:joy::rofl::joy:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks! It was definitely a fun one to play and it was good to try something that was (more or less) in my comfort zone :slight_smile:

I actually ripped them off from a Lenny Kravitz cover I tried a couple of weeks ago :slight_smile: They sort of flowed naturally into this song. I really need to find some more fills though - especially if I want to do a different genre ā€¦

3 Likes

Hah yeah! I need to get a better video editor so I can do all that multicoloured stuff :grin:

To be honest Iā€™m not 100% sure about the lyrics - theyā€™re something along the lines of ā€œIf you were to love meā€ but hypotheticals in Polish are a bit above my pay grade. However, the missis says that during this time there was a lot of censorship about music, films etc and basically all songs were about safe topics like having a boyfriend / girlfriend, wanting to be married etc.

Then again, 99% of pop these days is about the same subjects I guessā€¦

4 Likes

Nice one, mate. I didnā€™t expect to see that here :slight_smile:
Tak trzymaj :wink:

4 Likes

Dzięki! :smiley:

Oh totally underrated band. Way better than the stuff in the charts now :+1: Most of my Polish colleagues (well, the under 40s) donā€™t even seem to know themā€¦

4 Likes

Well, I am exactly 40 :slight_smile:
ā€¦and I agree we had a plethora of good bands who played blues rock/funk/disco/jazz. Brekout, SBB, Manaam, Kombi, Transport Band just to name few. Obviously because of the language and political situation they rarely had a chance to become known/recognised abroad.

5 Likes

Oh Iā€™m a big fan of Kombi :+1: :+1:. Lady Pank were good too. Then again I only really know them because they get a lot of airplay on the golden oldie stations. There are probably loads of others but they donā€™t get the exposure :frowning:

4 Likes

nice cover @Ed ! I like the song, I like the bass tone, I like your playing. the only thing I donā€™t like is the obvious tuning issue :sweat_smile: also a few small timing imperfections but thatā€™s not a serious problem. thatā€™s a good cover overall :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks @terb - I always lack the patience to get the 100% on a recording :slight_smile: In this case I only spotted the tuning issue after I mixed the bass with the backing track and by that time I thought mehā€¦

I definitely tuned before I recorded. I can only assume that either the (brand new) strings stretched a little while practising, or the original recording was a little out of tune. Iā€™m going to buy a keyboard :wink:

5 Likes

Highly recommend Melodyne for this.

Thatā€™s right, autotune.

Iā€™ve used it to fix out of tune tracks before. I mean obviously for vocals, duh, but it works perfectly for bass tracks too. Melodyne is very subtle, you canā€™t tell the difference.

3 Likes

Hmm * strokes chin * - interesting!

If I can find a free version, that might be worth a go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Their lowest tier (which is what I use) actually does occasionally come out for free. Usually $50.

Works amazingly well. One of these is corrected and the other isnā€™t; I would be surprised if anyone could tell:

Itā€™s also really useful for analyzing music.

1 Like

Nice work @John_E ā€¦ enough differentiation to show some good range in your playing (and continued improvement!). Really enjoyed them.

2 Likes

GROOVY @Ed . Nice work, and good choice on the Rick for that cover.

4 Likes

Wow the difference is really subtle - I had to listen carefully and I think I can hear the difference. Great bass sound btw!

Iā€™ll put that on my to do list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @JDDaniel ! I was thinking about the Rick or the Hofner and the Rick defintely had the edge :+1:

Przechwytywanieg

2 Likes

Thanks! Pretty sure that was my BB734A (while I still had it) into Kuassa Cerberus. Yamaha knocked it out of the park with that bass.

2 Likes

After wasting time with the uncooperative pedal effect, it was time to practice too. So here is a (rather low quality) attempt of one of my homeworks for next week: Second Chance - exercise

I tried to upload it to soundcloud before posting it, but somehow I canā€™t log in now. Any alternatives that are more forum-friendly than a google drive link?

Ofc comments on the cover are appreciated too XD

4 Likes

Can you change the permissions on the file?
It is asking us to ask you for permission to listen to.

1 Like