Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thank you kindly, @JerryP, @Vik and @eric.kiser!!

It had to be challenging (otherwise, where is the fun?), but I also wanted to pick something that a larger percentage in here might like/know (as opposed to some obscure fusion piece that nobody knows, and which I couldn’t play anyway :grin:)

It is more fiddly than hard… but the hard part comes once you realize that the “sync” is ever so slightly deteriorating over the course of a song… probably tiny offsets accumulating to something noticeable over a six-minute song!

Probably yes! But then, I think, most previous musical experience and playing an instrument has been a “good investment” that you now can bring to your bass playing. But, yeah, drumming (from the rhythmical point of view) and guitar playing (from dealing with strings) might prove especially useful in this context :smile:

3 Likes

sometimes I do the opposite and I choose very obscure songs/artists :grin: the idea being that a cover might be a way to discover an interesting band ! or even on interesting musical style

that’s pretty much sure indeed :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks @eric.kiser… I had to do something… And it works for me… It really wasn’t anything exceptionally smart or anything, just something that hit me when I was noodling around on a fiver at the GC in Macon one day… Combine that with @terb’s (at the time) modifications that he was making to change an old standard tuned bass into a dedicated BEAD bass, and the light bulb just went on… I’m sure bass rockers have been playing BEAD bass’s the way I’m playing mine for years - just never made any light of it…

I have began playing more and more songs using this tuning though… It’s really not that difficult, and personally, I’m probably a bit more comfortable with it. With the heavier gage strings, tonal quality is pretty damn good playing above the fifth fret, and even at times the notes actually sound deeper and darker.

I might try to re-record one of my previous covers using BEAD just to get a better idea of what it sounds like and how it plays in the EADG register on the fretboard so that a really good comparison can be made…

2 Likes

@joergkutter

Really impressive, nice job! Loved your tone and also how you were able to effortlessly transition back and forth from the fast tempo parts to the slower stuff. I’m only vaguely familiar with that band, but that song was really cool.

4 Likes

Thanks, @lee_editorial - much obliged!

Yeah, they have only been around for about 50 years or so… :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Haha… I remember a friend dragging me to a tiny Dallas club (maybe 15 years ago?) to see Adian Belew perform I guess a side project or solo material. The 50 people inside were VERY enthusiastic- but I guess since I dont remember much about that show it unfortunately did not resonate with me!
(Although I might have had one too many beers that night)

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, I decided to put together a quick recording of one of the cover songs (Money For Nothing - EADG Tuning) that I posted on the Cover Thread last month using my EADG tuned Ibby500…

On this recording I used my Yammy174 in BEAD. I didn’t do a video, and the recording was just a one time through kinda thing so there’s a couple missed notes but, the main takeaway (for me) was learning more about the tonal qualities and playability of using the BEAD tuned bass for some of the songs I like to play.

Money For Nothing - BEAD Tuning

Maybe just me (and my lack of hearing), but I can hear a distinct difference in tone - one that has me a bit more curious as to how both bass’s would sound played together as some bands use two bass players… hmmm…

1 Like

Adrian Belew is a guitar player with some freak skills. Before KC, he played with Zappa and Talking Heads. Now, I think he mainly has his own group, with a killer female bass player.

1 Like

I knew I said that it would be awhile before posting another cover, but this song really didn’t take long to learn, and it’s one of my favorite GORDY (Motown) label songs.

PAPA WAS A ROLLIN’ STONE was first performed by “The Undisputed Truth” and released in May of 1972. It was then again recorded by the Temptations (who made it a hit) in September of 1972.

The Temptations who went into the studio in the summer of 1972 to record “Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone” were a very different group than the one that released “My Girl” just seven years earlier. David Ruffin had long departed and was replaced by Dennis Edwards. Eddie Kendricks and Paul Williams were also out of the group, and the new lineup faced a very different musical atmosphere.

“Psychedelic Soul” was all over the radio, but Motown was keeping up with the times and producers Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong wrote a stupefyingly funky song about an absentee father. Contrary to widespread belief, Dennis Edwards’ father didn’t die on the third of September; he died on the third of October. Still, it was close enough to enrage the singer, though he ultimately agreed to sing the song. It shot to Number One on the Hot 100 and was their final monster hit.

The song is identified by three bass notes backed by hi-hat cymbal drumming. Those three notes, as simple as they appear, put the full meaning into the lyrics and create a solid foundation for the song. Sometimes “Simple is Better”… It was this simplicity that drove bassist James Jamerson from the recording studio during the recording since he refused to play those three notes over and over.

There’s still a bit of controversy over as to who actually performed the bass recording on the Temptations version, but it is documented that Bob Babbitt performed the duties on the Undisputed Truth’s cut. Most fingers point to Eddie Watkins as Bob Babbitt openly admitted that he was not the bassist for that recording.

In the following cover video, I’m using my modified Yamaha TRBX174EW in BEAD tuning to perform the bass line. Although those three simple notes might appear simple to play, keeping perfect time with those notes is a great exercise. Given the (almost 7 minute) length of the recording, I have included plenty to keep everyone occupied throughout the entire cover.

Given the size of the cover video files, I have uploaded two separate size versions to my server. one large, and one smaller. Enjoy! And feel free to provide any constructed feedback.

PAPA WAS A ROLLIN’ STONE (SMALL 84mb version)

PAPA WAS A ROLLIN’ STONE (LARGE 126mb version)

Keep On Thumpin’!

6 Likes

About your Money For Nothing re-cover.

I thought it had a very different tone. The whole thing sounds a bit deeper and darker. It sounds great.

Your playing is incredibly smooth. Maybe even smoother on this track than the first one. I can’t tell if it’s smoother on this track because the bass is louder in the mix so your playing stands out more and I can hear the smoothness better or if there was an actual difference in the playing.

Even though you playing sounds more like a part of the song in the first one, I prefer the second since I can hear all the nuances better.

1 Like

You’re talking about it being only three notes but I can’t do it. It feels like there’s nothing to follow and that makes those three notes really fucking frustrating. Maybe, if I had my own click track. That’s a tough one Lanny and you rocked it. Nice editing job, too.

1 Like

Thanks @eric.kiser… I have to agree… I’m really loving the tones I’m getting out of the 174 in BEAD… I think that if I did have a fiver, I’d probably play it in the EADG range… I’m loving the tones that I can get with this tuning played above the 5th fret…

1 Like

You might like a 5-string a lot. On many, the strings are closer together and amenable to playing fast. I found they weren’t got me but I can see why people like them.

2 Likes

I’ve played a couple at the local GC @howard but just couldn’t connect… I can understand how I might be able to use one more than my 4 string bass’s, but the comfort, feel, and action just don’t fit well with my playing style…

I’m an old school guitar player and it’s kinda hard (at my age) to break into something a bit alien… I have no problems with a 4 string bass… I have no problems with a 6 string guitar…

Five strings… Well, that’s a bit beyond my mental capabilities… And my physical (arthritic) capabilities… I kinda have to keep things within my physical capabilities - although I sometimes like to think that I can still do what I use to do back in the day…

3 Likes

Yeah, I hear ya. It’s a big, wide fretboard. With my 5-er I found myself only using the top four strings usually anyway, at which point…

2 Likes

I hear ya @eric.kiser… Although only three notes, the bass IS the “Lead Instrument” for the song… As such, there is nothing to follow other than your ‘soul’ when playing… Once you lock in and become one with the music, it’s just a matter of continuing to stay locked in to the point that you don’t really think of what your doing - you just do it because it feels and sounds right. It’s like playing in a mesmerizing state of mind. Music from the soul… Actually, you kinda lock in on the open spaces so you don’t fill them in… It’s the open empty spaces that gives this genre is unique character… Soul…

2 Likes

That is so cool, @Lanny, it’s basically meditative :smile:

I kinda understand Jamerson… it takes an enormous discipline to just stay on those three notes, and you pulled it off and made it look easy.

Like @eric.kiser also hinted to: that bassline can be “frustrating”, in the sense that if you’re not totally into it, you’re likely to “mis-fire” (too early/too late).

In that sense, it is a bit like “Walking on the Moon” - the line itself is easy, but playing it in time with all the stuff going on around you, which is bound to throw you off, is actually quite challenging…

3 Likes

Excellent job as usual @Lanny , what a sign of the times looking at the video. You can see as you watch that it may be only 3 notes, but it’s all about timing. Not as easy as you make it look.

2 Likes

sure ! and that’s again a great cover @Lanny :grin::+1:

the Yam sounds good, pretty deep even when playing close to the body, it all seems to work really well !

2 Likes

Another excellent cover @Lanny!

2 Likes