Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great job @sfadams!! Great tone!! Keep ‘em comin’!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Most excellent @terb! Beautiful tone from the Ibanez, and your bass line fits well into the song. I love that you decided to finger pluck instead of using the pick - really enhances the rhythmic tone and creates a feeling of relaxed solitude. So different from many of your past covers. I really LOVE this one Laurent… One of my favorites from your arsenal of bass covers! KUDOS my friend!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

thank you very much @Lanny !

yeah, that’s pretty well said. I like how my playing and feeling change depending on the technique I use. at some point when I play a bass line, it’s obvious : one technique (alternating fingers or pick) is the one to use, there’s not much choice really. and I’m really happy I did the B2B course because it’s what learnt me the finger plucking technique, it’s really a big thing. even if I will probably ever be mostly a pick player. (which is cool in my opinion)

so …

I play more and more with alternating fingers but I keep the pick for all my violent things :grin: I’m somewhat lost between the dark country and the sludgecore zone, I think I must be the only one in this case :joy:

… anyway … the pick will be back … really soon … :grin:

4 Likes

Hi @terb,
Nice smooth bass line with plenty of space.
I don’t now the song or the artist but your bass fill worked really nice with the song.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Many thanks @lee_editorial. Yes, you are right. There are some occasional 16th note upstrokes. In fact that is one of the main reasons I chose this song as my “learn to play with a pick” song. The other main attraction is the little run where you have to pick all four strings in quick succession at the same time as covering four frets with the other hand.

I should probably find out through the “show us your basses” thread, but which short scale bass(es) have you got?

1 Like

Very nice @terb! I missed this on the other thread. You may have given me a new project: find songs by this artist, and try to add a bass line to them …

3 Likes

Thanks @Lanny.

2 Likes

That’s a really cool bass line you’ve put together @terb ! Fits in with the song so well and yet not just a standard country bass line . Certainly good for thought.
Loving the Ibanez too

3 Likes

I really like this song. I think I would call it more folk music than country (and there’s nothing wrong with that - I prefer folk over country myself).

Your bassline is good because it follows the vocals and helps accentuate the mood, especially in the chorus and bridge. Nice work.

3 Likes

You’d be surprised (or maybe won’t) how many people actively listen to seemingly opposite musical genres :grin:
Same thing can apply to playing, it’s “only” music after all :notes:

4 Likes

I can’t really critique your playing, maybe because it is not my kind of music, but probably more so because it is very clear that your intent is to support the music and to bring out the aspects that you feel are important. Hard to critique that, not least because you do a great job as well! I also think it is a neat approach to find music with no prior bass line (or perhaps only a rudimentary one) and start the creative process to “find” a bass line for it. I have a Crosby, Still and Nash song I want to try that with, but haven’t gotten around to it yet…

Funny story: even though this is not the kind of music I normally listen to, I was at a Doc Watson concert about a year or two before he died. A Swedish friend took me along while we both were at a conference in California. We had underestimated the distance we had to drive (and the traffic) and almost came too late, had had nothing to eat and the venue didn’t even have snacks. That (along with lingering jetlag and the fact that we had played golf all day) didn’t exactly help me going through the concert, but it was actually an interesting experience, with lots of traditional instruments. Getting away from the venue was hell as well, and we were absolutely starving at that point, but still had a lot of driving to do. Anyway, we finally got some food at 2 am in a Denny’s somewhere - God bless America :wink: So, a memorable experience on several levels, but still not really the type of music I am mostly into… :smile:

What is interesting is your grip on the neck, which perhaps comes from your way of playing guitar!? I guess most bass teachers would call it “choking the neck”, and the general wisdom is that it restricts the reach and flexibility of your fingers. But maybe you are using your thumb routinely for muting? Or perhaps even for fretting some of the notes on the E string?

6 Likes

This is actually the most American thing ever. It almost makes you an honorary American.

I can’t count the number of times I have been in a situation like that. One stands out. I love very good, high end coffee now - but the very best food and cup of coffee I have ever had in my life was at 1:30am at a truck stop on I-5 in nowheresville, CA after I had been riding my motorcycle for six hours in the rain. I would have gone to jail before I let someone steal that cup of coffee.

7 Likes

Yes, can totally relate to that!! You’d probably not put a foot inside the place had you seen it in daylight, or even sample their food, but in such cases, it is just the stuff that literally saves you :smile:

5 Likes

I don’t remember much about that night. I don’t even remember if it was a 24h diner or the truck stop itself. But I do remember the coffee.

5 Likes

And that is a situation where - at least those 10-15 years ago - you would have been totally f#€&ed in Europe… hence my praise to not least that particular aspect of Americana!

5 Likes

than you all very much for your comments ! really appreciate

yeah it’s somewhere in the frontier between folk and country I guess.

yeah it’s an heritage from my guitar playing, and especially playing with overdrive which makes absolutly mandatory to mute every string that is not played at a given time. it became some kind of reflex, it’s very natural for me and it’s fully integrated in my playing : I always mute everything except the string(s) I’m playing. the thumb position allow me to mute the E string. some players will use the thumb to fret on the E string but I don’t do that, it’s only for muting. also I always change my thumb position while playing : if I need more amplitude on my fingers I bring the thumb in the more accademic position :grin:

6 Likes

@sfadams

My 3 SS: I started with a Squire Jaguar, added a Gretsch Jr Jet and most recently got a Sterling Stingray. Love the Jag, I had the stock pickups swapped out for EMG Geezers and then added flats. Also love my new Stingray with rounds, so it looks like the Gretsch is seeing less love lately!

7 Likes

First time posting a cover, so please be gentle. Not sure if this will get blocked on youtube. Probably could have done a better job with a few more takes…
Also, just recording video and sound on iphone, with the song playing from youtube on ipad through my bass amp, along with the bass
https://youtu.be/wI0ON8jSIyk

16 Likes

Hi @Jack667,
Nice job, you have nailed all the fret positions for the song.
You nailed the triple on 5th fret A on the E string, just a few timing issues with the rest.
At least you are prepared to put yourself out there.
You should be proud of your effort, I am :+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thx, BSE! I know I fell behind and sped up, so yeah… At least it’s a start! :slight_smile:
Appreciate the input and the encouragement!!

5 Likes