Post your covers! (2019-2022)

:frowning_face::cry: First time I’ve had to post a sad face, and yeah, sometimes the harsh realities of the music business world collide with my sense of idealism about music as an artform… no simple solution for this issue other than doing a crafty workaround though.

3 Likes

That’s very good @PeteP… I’m impressed!

I don’t know when I’ll ever work up the nerve to record myself and share it here.

4 Likes

@PeteP Very good!

How do you go about recording and saving it to the computer? Is there special software and equipment needed?

3 Likes

Well you have a bit of a head start on me so I’m guessing you’re better than me so at the very least you won’t be the worst on here. It’s good to get feedback, even if people are too polite to be honest.

I’m still new to that side of things but I just use the Behringer UMC22 audio interface plugged into GarageBand and record away. Export it as a MP3 and you’re done. There are little tweaks and tricks along the way, but if the great folk in here can’t help, there’s a world of YouTube tutorials.

Each of the clips/covers I’ve recorded were the result of about 20 takes (or more) and I simply overwrote each time.

The backing tracks were converted from YouTube using online video-to-mp3 conversion web sites - something I only discovered today.

2 Likes

good point, it’s a good thing to be polite obviously but we have to comment more and give honest feedback : we all do these records to progress (at least it’s one side of it) and we all need honest feedback.

there is a dedicated post about this, you can find the link on the very first post of this cover thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. Yeah, I saw the bit about how to remove a bass line from a song. I’m just wondering how I can record myself playing the bass onto my laptop. I’m starting to get the feeling that this is going to require my spending more money on equipment.

2 Likes

Yeah I realize we did not really talk about the hardware side of recording, except a bit on the Zoom thread.

If you have a line in jack on your laptop, the simplest way for recording would be to connect the output of the Zoom to the line in, with a 6.35 to 3.5 jack adapter like this (it costs maybe $1 if you don’t already have one) (in this case it could be a mono or stereo adapter, it’s not important) :

bfr_overlay

You will have to adjust the output level on the Zoom to avoid saturation, and that’s fine, with this simple setup you should be able to record and control your tone on the Zoom.

An external soundcard would be a much better option but, yeah, it costs some more money, even if it’s not necessarily very expensive.

2 Likes

Thanks. What are some examples of an inexpensive external device

BTW, I tried to direct connect from the Zoom to the laptop as you suggested, but it failed to record anything.

2 Likes

Which software are you using ? it could be a settings issue

The Behringer UMC22 for example is a popular choice

1 Like

Okay, someone else mentioned that also @PeteP I think . Does it come with the cables to connect the bass to it and connect the device to the laptop for recording? Or does it record internally and then you transfer the recording to the laptop?

1 Like

About the cables, in fact with those interfaces you have way more connectivity than on a laptop, that’s one of the advantages. You would be able to plug directly your jack cable exactly like when you connect your Zoom to your amp. The other cable is a USB cable between the computer and the DAI (Digital Audio Interface).

It’s basically a big soundcard, it does not record anything internally. It’s an audio interface between the computer and the external world :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yep and it is easily the best way to go for recording yourself.

Zoom makes quality DAIs too. This is the cheaper version of the one I have:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U22--zoom-u-22-handy-audio-interface

I have this one and like it a lot:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U24--zoom-u-24-handy-audio-interface

2 Likes

Do those Zoom DAIs come with software, or would I also have to purchase that?

Thanks @howard

1 Like

I forget, but I think they came with download codes for the free versions of one of the DAW apps. But no, you’ll need to get the software separately.

The good news is the free software is excellent. GarageBand for the mac is free, and there’s a few options for PC.

2 Likes

Okay, now I just have to convince my dear spouse why I now need to spend even MORE money on gear. You haven’t lived until you try to explain to a deaf person why you need music stuff.

3 Likes

yeah and maybe it’s where to start, because the Zoom pluged into the line in directly on the computer should work (even if it’s not the way to archive the best possible sound quality)

1 Like

Do you have a mac or a PC laptop? If it is a mac then you will need a special cable to make the line in work (and it apparently won’t work with all macs.) A PC should have a line or mic in that works.

Otherwise the easiest path is to buy an audio interface.

1 Like

@howard I have PC laptop with a mic Jack, but I tried direct connect from the bass (didn’t work), the amp (didn’t work), and the Zoom (didn’t work).

Could be a cabling issue too. Might need a 4-pole connector. Hard to say though.

1 Like

to me it seems like a software issue, the 3 setups you talked about should work. what software are you using for recording ? did you select the mic jack as the input for recording ?

1 Like