Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Note to self:

Scratch “Dream On” from list of possible covers…

1 Like

Awww, common now @PamPurrs… We can share…:grin:

4 Likes

hopefully there is no rule that prohibits more than one bass player to do a cover of a particular song :grin::metal:

3 Likes

OK, so I’ve spent the entire day trying to figure out all of my recording gear and how to create actual cover videos instead of just audio files. This is my very first attempt and I know it’s pretty ‘RAW’, but what the hell… Anyway, because I got tired of SoundCloud refusing most all of my audio files, and YouTube already removing many of the ones I’ve created before I even started playing bass, I decided to just upload directly to my website servers.

Please understand that I’m still learning all of this stuff and ‘should’ get better with practice - gotta start somewhere - maybe one of these days I’ll be almost as good at it as @terb!! :wink: Any input to help me get better is certainly appreciated…

Money
https://billlanahan.com/covers/Moneycov.mp4

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

12 Likes

Hell Yeah Lanny! Rock the fuck on! That was awesome!

6 Likes

oh that’s soooooooo cool @Lanny ! :metal::partying_face::+1:

your video is not really more raw than mines … you know I record myself on my couch with my phone in one sequence and I don’t do any editing at all, really nothing fancy ! but that’s fine I think, it’s enough for those covers in my opinion. it’s very fun to see us playing, I don’t ask for more :grin:

your cover is pretty well played, your bass tone is nice, your timing is very good too. that’s an excellent groove ! very well done dude ! :+1:

also the EQing of the track is perfect this time. that’s great ! :+1:

maybe if I could give a technical advice for the video, it would be to compress it a bit more : for a comparison my cover videos weight about 30-40 Mo and yours is 120 Mo, so it’s slower to upload and to download/bufferize (do this word exists ?) (with my slow connexion I had to download the video to see it because of its weight) but that’s a minor detail really !

another advice maybe would be to export the video as a .mp4 file : this allows the forum to embed a neat player as on my cover of AC/DC, its not very different from the link but it looks a bit nicer on the post :slight_smile: again a very minor detail.

as long as it works, it’s pretty cool !

4 Likes

Great tone on that 304 sir :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @eric.kiser!! Figured that since we finally got a break from all the heat down here in Middle Georgia (and a little much needed rain), it would be a good day to play a little music in the “Man Cave”!

2 Likes

You got that groove just right, and are a natural - so much so that I’ve got that song stuck in my head now :money_mouth_face:

4 Likes

Thanks @terb!! I kinda thought it was a bit heavy when I put it together and exported it. I recorded the video using PhotoBooth and recorded the audio using GarageBand. I then used iMovie to put it all together. I tried to simply record everything at once using my iPad, but my dog was adamant on being recorded too (he always barks when I play anything on the “E” string) - besides, I get a much better audio recording doing through my M-Audio interface and DAW. I will however try the lower export setting on my next attempt though…

Hmmm… I’ll see what I can do. I exported as a .m4v which I believe may be the default for iMovie exports… I’ll certainly check that one out on the next go round also…

I certainly do appreciate your input and help with all of this!! It is certainly fun thing to do on a rainy day here in Georgia!!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

Thanks @howard! I do LOVE that bass!!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

1 Like

Thanks @Vik!! It’s one of my daily practice songs. I think that if I ever do it again though I think I’ll make a couple spring loaded pop-up signs that are connected to peddle switches - one sign would say “Money”,… the other would say “Bullshit”… Two words that certainly catch ones ear when the song plays!! :rofl::rofl:

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

2 Likes

Awesome! Chapeau, @Lanny!!

2 Likes

@joergkutter - Merci mec!!

2 Likes

OK, so after trying to address many of the suggestions that I got from @terb, I put together another cover that:

1. Addressed over-equalization by removing too much low and midrange when I did the “Another One Bites The Dust” recording

2. Resized the video recording so that the file would be much smaller and more in the area of about 40-50 MB

3. Change the file type from .m4v to .mp4

The only thing that I still am unable to do is get the video to embed a player into the forum, but that’s not really a problem since I just make it look nice by inserting an image with the link embedded into it.

Anyway, here’s a ‘redo’ of “Another One Bites The Dust” complete with not only a little more Mids, but also a nice ‘Beer Break’ during the recording… Still looking for any and all critiques… Enjoy!

Another One Bites The Dust
https://billlanahan.com/covers/ABTDustcov.mp4

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

yeah @Lanny :+1: I love those cover videos ! :grin: and I see you’ve made a website for your music things, that’s cool !

about the video, the link is still in .m4v format and I’m pretty sure this is the reason why the forum doesn’t embed the neat little cute player. but it’s not a big deal, the image works as well.

about the EQing, to me the mix still sounds strange and filtered, the frequencies are not balanced, it sounds a bit like there were a phase issue or something. maybe you corrected the EQ from the render you already made or something like that ? again not a big deal, we can totally listen to the cover and to your bass playing, which is the basic goal of all that : “it works” !

:beers:

2 Likes

@terb - Thanks!! You’re really good at this stuff and have a great ear! I did try to use some of what I had from the last recording instead of starting from scratch (which is what I should have done). Anyway, with what I’m learning, the next one should be much better!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

sure, that’s the best (and probably the only) way to learn and make progress ! those covers are great for this kind of experiment, I think !

3 Likes

Great job, Lanny! . . . :+1:

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

For those who have made it through the B2B course, remember Module 10 Lesson 6? My high-school and college grandkids love this song!
https://billlanahan.com/covers/7NArmycov.mp4

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes