Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thx Joerg!
Especially with that bass, high action and rouond-wounds, itā€™s tough for me to get a good tone and no fret buzz with my weak pinky. A bit embarrassing. So Iā€™m working around that.
Iā€™m not too consistent with the left hand and I swap around just a bit with some of the fingering, and Iā€™m also pretty inconsistent with the right hand - despite all the great / constant advice from Josh throughout the program.
And - I have the flying fingers that he mentions in one of his videos.
Lots to work on!!! :slight_smile:
Jack

6 Likes

For sure :slight_smile: Inconsistent fingering and plucking are also areas I struggle with. But, they are important as they can impede your speed, but also influence your sound.

6 Likes

Great Cover @Jack667!! A few issues with timing in a couple spots, but for your first recording you did a superb job! Open room recordings are a bit tricky given the open environment, but you did a good job with what you had to work with.

Is it just me, or do I notice that you donā€™t anchor your thumb on anything when plucking the E string? Anchoring while finger plucking can help control the amount of force you use when plucking. The amount of upward force will control the consistency of amplitude of the frequency being developed from the string - just an observation, and we all learn our own tricks to make things sound right for each of usā€¦

Looking forward to hearing more! Keep ā€˜em cominā€™!

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

6 Likes

Lanny - thx for feedback and for calling out the thumb anchor! More to work on! :slight_smile:
I appreciate all the suggestions - all great points!
Jack

6 Likes

yes thatā€™s what I understood and thatā€™s why I was impressed by the sound ! not the best studio quality of course, but everything was still very clear and easy to ear.

it was exactly what I meant, speaking about the sound quality. thank you @Lanny for saying that in a much better way !

a very interesting point, donā€™t miss that one @Jack667 ! :grin:

yeah I agree, it adds another level to the cover. also itā€™s way more fun than a pure audio cover in my opinion :grin:

Iā€™m very happy to see more and more BassBuzzians recording and sharing video covers, thatā€™s insanely cool ! you all rock ! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

I fear a country overdose, so here is a little pause :grin:

Gouge Away - Wilt (I Wonā€™t)

I really love this band, itā€™s pretty close to what Iā€™d like to play in my next band. By the way, if you know some bands in the same style, Iā€™m very interested. (@Gio maybe ?)

The bassline I play is the same than the one on the album. I like this line very much : itā€™s not complicated but works very well with the song, and brings a nice ground and structure to the composition, in my opinion.

A quick word about the tuning : from what I believe to see on live videos, I think the bass is tuned to Standard D# (D#G#C#F#). I canā€™t use this tuning with Greenie because of the light string gauge, so Iā€™m playing the line tuned in Drop D (DADG) and so my fingering is different.

About the sound and technique, and in my tradition to use the covers to make various tests : itā€™s a test run of my ā€œnewā€ Line 6 Bass Floor POD. no external compression or overdrive pedal or anything, itā€™s only Greenie plugged directly into the Bass Floor POD, then straight into the DAI. you can see that the gain range is very large on this device : here itā€™s only set to 3,5 / 10 on the Ampeg SVT simulation ! which I find sounds more like an SVT-CL than a SVT-VR (and thatā€™s perfectly fine for me). also I used a little bit of compression with the integrated ā€œopto compā€, which seems to be very probably derived from the LA-2A simulation of the first Bass POD. and thatā€™s pretty much it :slight_smile:

Overall the Bass Floor POD is more designed for live than studio use. For pure studio work, I prefer the rackmount Bass POD Pro and a bunch of carefully selected analog pedals. the DAC are better, there are way more sound shaping options and possibilitues, and it all feels just more ā€¦ serious. Anyway the Bass Floor POD works very well and is totally suitable for recording (at least non-pro recording), in a very compact and comprehensive format. I really like the Bass Floor POD and I most certainly will use it for future rehersals, and possibly concerts.

13 Likes

Solid work @terb,
Nice full sound from the bass.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/BriansCourthouse7-2-20-SD-480p.mov

Hi B2B friends, here is my first cover.
I am still trying to get all this recording stuff worked out.
Hope you enjoy it
Cheers Brian

17 Likes

Nice job Brian. Great first cover.

5 Likes

Well done! Excellent, relaxed playing. And I reckon youā€™ve got the ā€œrecording stuffā€ sorted too!

5 Likes

Thanks @JerryP,
Itā€™s hard to focus on trying to make sure you stay in the groove get the video started, get the music on etc, Iā€™m glad I have finished it and I know I will get better as I go alongšŸ˜Ž

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @sfadams,
Appreciate it.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Nice job all round @TNKA36 :+1:

3 Likes

thatā€™s a great first cover @TNKA36 ! the sound and video quality are good, I really like the punchy tone of your CBS Precision :grin: how did you manage to record ? Iā€™m always interested by the tech part

also despite a few very small timing issue, the bass line is pretty clean and well played, with nice and consistent attacks. you can be proud ! :+1:

5 Likes

They are so good. And your cover is awesome :slight_smile:

For similar bands actually Sonic Youth might be worth checking out. Not exactly the same, more grunge (and I like Gouge Away better) but worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3gN9Up6hmc

3 Likes

That was awesome! I really love the solid P-bass tone youā€™ve got going there. Well done!

4 Likes

thanks @howard , I know Sonic Youth and one time I even did a long trip to see them playing live in Paris :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah I figured you probably did but thought I would mention it as that was my first association I made with Gouge Awayā€™s audiotree. Similar band aesthetic too :slight_smile:

Gouge Awayā€™s bass player is great, he kind of cracks me up for some reason.

3 Likes

the bands I associate with Gouge Away would be Cerce (very ā€œcoreā€) and Made Out Of Babies (more post-, less core ā€¦ also probably more sludgy) which is my absolute favorite band of all times.

3 Likes

I like Gouge Away! Feels like the harder end of the 90s alt rock scene. Sonic Youth was a good shout, @howard

Reminds me of Quicksand from the 90s, bits of Helmet in there with the repetition and thick, fuzzy bass sound (nice work reproducing that by the way!)

For more recent things that it reminds me of, Milk Teeth come right to mind. More of that noisier, darker throwback to 90s rock vibe. On that front, Drug Church hits some of those marks. I think theyā€™re both a bit poppier though than Gouge Away. Itā€™s a cool blend of harsh vocals, with that dirtier alt-rock riffing.

4 Likes