Post your covers! (2019-2022)

that’s very interesting ! it’s not really a choice : down-up is natural for me (guitar player) but the attack sounds different on the up and down, and what Flea explains about the notes being more detached to each other when playing all downstrokes make me want to experiment with that ! thank you for pointing this up !

wow, that’s way more complicated than Amyl & the Sniffers for sure :grin:

4 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread!

5 Likes

Great idea for a thread, @terb!

However, it also rips open an old wound of mine… namely, that the music I want to cover is also the music I can’t play (yet, or perhaps never). So, I will have to mull a bit more over this one, before I might be able to submit something!

7 Likes

You could start with something simple, even if it’s not exactly your final target music :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, that settles it then… I’ll start off with a cover of “Portrait of Tracy” and then I’ll slowly increase the difficulty level :rofl::crazy_face:

5 Likes

here is a new cover, some garage/lofi rock from NYC.

Boss Hog - Disgrace

(terrible spongy-sounding kick :roll_eyes: )

By the way, I started experimenting with down-up and all-down. For now I like both and, as they sound different, I think it’s good to be able to play both and choose the best one for each song (and each part).
Here I play down-up, as on the original track, and I feel it sounds more “moving” (despite less solid) than all-down. That’s pretty interesting and I’ll keep experimenting for sure !

12 Likes

@terb Keep them coming. I have really enjoyed your videos.

3 Likes

can’t wait to enjoy yours :grin: :wink:

2 Likes

Very nice, @terb!

Years ago, I used to use a pick all the time. After taking Josh’s course, I’m much better with my fingers, but I really need to work on using a pick once again. Thanks for the inspiration . . . :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok - I’m hoping to put up a bass cover soon - this is exciting stuff! But first, I wanted to post another method of extracting the bass from a song - the method is very similar to @terb 's way, but this uses Audacity, and, it’s a quick and dirty way to do it in less than 10 minutes.

Watch this YT video: BJR's Tutorials : How to remove bass guitar from a song - YouTube
Then, look in the comments, as someone has written step by step, what to do, where to click in the software program. I didn’t even know what I was doing, just followed the directions, and it worked, pretty well!

I think these methods rely on scooping out a certain frequency range, and, that could be problematic if it also removes other sounds besides the bass from other instruments in that range. Maybe a sound engineer has a better method, but, for now, this is a pretty effective way to do it. It may be worth going back through the settings used in that YT video, and tweak them depending on the song, or genre of music.

No excuses now - time to practice some covers :smiley:

1 Like

yeah, the course helps me a lot to develop my fingers playing too. I like having a lot of tonal options with different techniques !

2 Likes

Anyone know how or where to upload a bass cover, without getting flagged for copyright infringement? I just made a cover of an 80s song, and tried to upload to SoundCloud, but it immediately flagged and removed it.

Not trying to steal anyone’s work, or commercialize it in any way! Just trying to learn bass here, and maybe get feedback. And I don’t want to post it somewhere that will ban me for trying to do so, or somehow red flag me (like YT - I kind of need my gmail/YT account!)

2 Likes

Those copyright things are a pain in the ass for us. Being flagged for making a cover only for fun and learning reasons drives me crazy.

If you have a website you can upload the mp3 and then copy/paste the link here in the forum, it will embed a neat MP3 player. If you don’t have anywhere to upload your mp3, you could send it to me and I would upload it on my server.

3 Likes

It’s very nice of you to offer to upload it to your server for me! But I will try to do this from my side, and embed the link here.

Yes, it is a real bummer that this happens, because doing this cover has really helped me to take some of the concepts I learned in B2B and apply them to a real song! I would really recommend this exercise to everyone, regardless of whether there’s an easy way to share your cover or not.

3 Likes

That’s great @Vik , I’m happy you liked doing this. Can’t wait to ear your cover :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“Our House”, by Madness. I chose this song for no other reason than it’s been stuck in my head this week, so I figured, let’s do a bass cover for it :slightly_smiling_face: It’s about 90% true to the recording, (not including my mistakes, lol) but there were some tough syncopated 16th notes and fills that I couldn’t get, so I simplified a few bars.

Some takeaways:

1. I can see why Josh stresses the Ultimate Groove Workout. Keeping time gets hard when the tempo and chord progressions are moving fast. Even harder towards the end of that cover, where there are 8 bars of a bass solo, and no drums or guitar to help you know where you are. (That’s the reason I didn’t do the whole song, there’s a 16 bar solo coming up after that one :crazy_face:)
  2. Anything over a minute seems like an eternity of bass playing right now! This one was a bit frustrating to learn, but, worth the time put in - better dexterity now, for both fretting and plucking hand, some knowledge of working with a DAW, and other good stuff.

Again, highly recommended for all levels. And, for anyone considering this, give it a try! No judgment here at Bassbuzz Forums, and the worst that can happen is that you’ll learn something.

9 Likes

that’s great @Vik ! :+1: I’m so happy you enjoyed doing this cover :slight_smile: and appreciate the benefits in terms of learning. the knowledge of working with DAW is precious in my opinion, those tools really expand our musical lives.

you can be proud, this song is not slow and you did well. I’m not a teacher but if I try to help with constructive criticism, I’d say your rythmic placement seems to float a little bit, maybe a point you could improve :slight_smile:

again, that’s great ! :+1:

3 Likes

here is a very short and very contextual cover :rofl:

22 Likes

haha excellent

4 Likes

Just a quick word to say I love this thread. Y’all are rad.

4 Likes