Post your covers! (2019-2022)

@terb - Not quite there yet since @TNKA36 has just recently started using GB and iMovie to create his covers. Kinda taking small steps right now with the process - Brian is somewhat unfamiliar with the logic behind the mac OS, but is learningā€¦ Through this process however, we have both been working together in the development of simple user friendly ā€œStep-By-Stepā€ instructional documents that will help assist future GB and iMovie users who (like Brian) may be unfamiliar with using macā€™s and apple appsā€¦

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

6 Likes

The development of such a document would be welcomed by a technophobe like me @Lanny. Iā€™ve read and reread the topic regarding recording yourself playing and just cannot grasp the basics to be bluntly honest. I just glaze at the first mention of a DAI ( and this is from someone who can build a chopper wiring loom from scratch)
Good on you both for tackling this :+1:

4 Likes

thatā€™s great @Lanny ! about the file format thatā€™s not very important, I was just trying to help

5 Likes

I know @terbā€¦ No problemā€¦ Iā€™m finding that there are some people on here that would probably post to your ā€œCoversā€ thread if they probably knew a bit more of how to actually do it. Some of the threads here on the forum have grown so long and large that many have ā€œmorphedā€ into the opposite of what they were originally intended to be - an example would be the thread called something like the ā€œBeginners set up to recordā€ā€¦ Hell man, reading that thread now (at least for me) would require me to get a frigginā€™ engineering degreeā€¦

Sometimes I think that many of who have been on this forum for a long time may have forgotten what it was really like to be a bit undereducated in some of what we now consider to be ā€œsimple thingsā€ and as such may appear to be a bit intimidating to some of the newer users.

Thus my idea to create an ā€œInstructionalā€ using someone like Brian to help pit it together since he will test and check my process out as someone who has never done it before. So far he has been able to identify many process and procedure items in the instructional that I may have thought were simple or commonly understood as things that were confusing to himā€¦

My biggest complaint with online ā€œHelpā€ topics is that they are written by those who donā€™t actually need any help, and were never vetted through those who really actually need the helpā€¦

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

8 Likes

Iā€™d be happy to beta test anything you come up with.

6 Likes

back on the couch for some psychedelic stoner from Poland !

Weedpecker - Mindbreath

Again this is a sound check in a real-life studio context :grin: I used the Bass Floor POD and nothing else (no pedal) and the settings are exactly the same that the ones I used on my last cover (Gouge Away - Wilt) with Greenie. Even the gain and the comp settings are strictly identical. in fact I wanted to see if the exact same settings would be useable with the Yam SBV. it sounds pretty different than Greenie, as the SBV have less output level and a wider bandwidth (a little bit scooped), but I like this tone and I think it works well for this kinda ambiant song.

Open to constructive criticism as always !

:v::grin:

16 Likes

That sounded great @terb. I have to admit that itā€™s not the kind of music that I listen to all the time but I enjoyed the performance.
:+1:

5 Likes

thank you @JerryP :grin:

3 Likes

Great job as usual @terb! Great to see the couch back in the cover, and your choice of bass was spot on for that song. There were parts of it that actually took me back in time a bit to the earlier days of heavy metalā€¦

6 Likes

Another great cover @terb all sounded great, Iā€™m enjoying all your work.
Jamie

4 Likes

thanks @Lanny and @Jamietashi !

2 Likes

Nice sound @terb,
Nice sliding etc on the track along with plenty of space that fills it out.
I love the sound from the yammy.
Just a little curious about the t-shirt, what is it implying :rofl: :joy:.
Sound and picture very clear as alwaysšŸ‘
Reminds me a little of Nirvana or some of Hawkwinds stuff in places.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Awesome cover as always @terb and Iā€™m really digging the band. Never heard of them before but I will definitely be looking into them.
Really love the bass too. The headstock is so understated and yet so cool :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I love the SBVā€™s too. Thereā€™s a couple great bands here with bassists that are famous for using them. Definitely a classic.

2 Likes

itā€™s the tshirt of a Bumblefoot album

this song is from their first album but they also released two other albums and one split album : https://weedpecker.bandcamp.com/

:v::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

In addition to Fumi from Polysics, Supercarā€™s bassist is also famous for collecting them :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZxImsH5rOk

I kind of want that 550. P/J SBV? Yes please :slight_smile:

3 Likes

at the time I bought my SBV, I searched for a 550 one (because of Fumi obviously) but it was impossible for me to find one. those SBV are really very rare in Europe. so I bought this 500 (in England - impossible to find one in France), and Iā€™m finally happy to have this model instead of a 550 : itā€™s more different than the Precision and it makes a lot more sense for me, especially as a studio instrument.

anyway the 550 is awesome. by the way the one on your video doesnā€™t seem to have the stock pickups (the original are white). and by the way I really like this song, it reminds me of some kind of japanese version of Pavement.

also the lead guitarist plays a Mosrite and thatā€™s freaking cool.

4 Likes

Supercarā€™s awesome, one of the bands largely responsible for kicking off modern indie music in Japan. Sad I didnā€™t find them until recently :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5HLq-fv_48

So - that is probably not a stock 550. She has a bunch, including older original SB-7aā€™s. Who knows what she has done to that thing :slight_smile:

SBV500s turn up here but 550s seem much more rare. Currently one up for $1500, though they usually seem to sell for around $650.

3 Likes

Hi Bass-buzz friends,
Please find the link below to my new cover.
Its a great Concrete Blonde track from the Walking in London Album.
Johnette Napolitano has written some really great songs, and has an amazing voice as well as being a very accomplished bass player.
as usual all feedback is appreciated.
I believe there is a little humming in the track, not sure from what ?
Thank @DaveT for giving me the heads up, and offering potential causes, i will be working hard on trying to eliminate this from my next tracks.
Cheers Brian.

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2020/07/16/someday/

7 Likes

Hi Bass-buzz friends,
please find the link below for another of my new covers.
Its a classic cover of KD Langā€™s ā€œIf i were youā€
I love the bass line on the track and it has some nice string crossing parts.
The track has a slight humming in it.
cheers Brian

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2020/07/16/if-i-were-you/

4 Likes