Post your covers! (2019-2022)

congratulations @Theron, this is not an easy bass line and you played it very well !

5 Likes

Yeah that was really well played!

5 Likes

Great job @Theron,
Great finger work across the strings and around the fret board, can’t wait for you to get it recorded on something that really demonstrates your nice grooves and gives a nicer sound👍
PS: love your vocal work as well😎
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Very well done @Theron! I enjoyed your performance.

5 Likes

Really a great job @Theron. The recording is a bit muddy, but your finger style and timing were really good!

4 Likes

Clutch - Fortunate Son

As you probably all know, the original song is from Creedence Clearwater Revival. I’ve always been in love with this composition, and J.Fogerty singing and playing. Anyway I decided to go with a coverception, because I like Clutch and I find that they managed to push the song closer to the stoner territory, and (as usual) they did this pretty neatly.

About the bass line, I play a bit more sophisticasted personnal version, closely based on the original bass track. I just added a few ornaments here and there. Recorded in one take, in a pure rock’n’roll way.

About the bass tone, no big surprise : Greenie, DOD FX84 compressor, Bass POD Pro with Ampeg '74 SVT model, recorded into the UX1 and mixed with Reaper. I really love all those pieces of gear.

Open to criticism and comments, as always !

:v::grin:

Edit : special link for @joergkutter and others who could have issues with Youtube

15 Likes

Excellent! Never heard this version but it sounds great! Another good job.

5 Likes

thanks @JerryP !

3 Likes

An excellent cover Laurent! I chugged a lot of beers while in country listening to that song by Creedence. Love your bass line and the straight forwardness - with a somewhat “In Your Face” attach style you used that lends itself favorable to this particular version of the song. ROCK ON!!

6 Likes

Another great execution of a classic song @terb,
Nice tone from greenie.:+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Been playing for about 2 months. Not sure if the link will work. Kinda screwed it up at the end, but getting better

Hi @cliffveazey,
I am unable to view your video.?
Not sure why it’s not working.
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Me either. New here, guess I don’t know what I’m doing lol

3 Likes

One of the tech gurus on the forum will be able to assist you in uploading your posts👍
@cliffveazey.
Cheers Brian

1 Like

https://youtu.be/cSxCWyO2JUc

Try it this way. Been playing a couple of months. Screwed it up a little, but slowly getting better. I am surprised I could pull it off this well lol

10 Likes

Nice job @cliffveazey,
If this is your first cover you did a great job, nice song, good finger picking and a few glitches on your fretting but overall I enjoyed it👍
Keep up the great progress :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks!!

3 Likes

Nice cover @cliffveazey :+1:
Zombie is one of my go-to’s too and particularly poignant now after the singer took her own life a year or two ago . With the song about the “troubles “ in Northern Ireland and the singer obviously going through so many troubles of her own it’s a sad song indeed.

5 Likes

Bass tone is great and you nailed the cover. I first thought you were mixed a little low and then decided no, no, it’s just right.

Also, that is an excellent hat :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh wow, I love that song. Haven’t heard it in a while.

For just two months in you did really, really well. Your playing generally sounded in time to me and mostly consistent. At the stage you’re at it can be difficult to nail consistent plucking volume across the song and there was a little of that but it’s generally pretty damn good. The tricky bit towards the end with triplets seemed a little awkward for you but with a little more work should iron out.

My feedback would be that if you enjoyed doing this, the next step would be to look in to some of Lanny and Laurent’s tips on preparing backing tracks and recording into a DAW. The only real negative to this video, and it’s a common one to a lot of covers recorded this way, was the audio balance of the backing track versus the bass though your amp. Otherwise it was a great cover, especially where you’re at in picking up the bass.

5 Likes