Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Cool cover @TNKA36. I reckon I’ve heard that before but maybe not with Cyndi in vocals? Or maybe not. It’s really foxing me atm.

Awesome first cover @PamPurrs. Certainly one that will take a lot of living up to by the rest of us :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks Mac @Mac,
Cyndi wrote the song, maybe someone else did a cover of it🤔
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Thanks @Mac

5 Likes

congrats @PamPurrs , I’m happy that you finally started to do covers :grin: I like this kind of minimal bass line, sometimes “less is more”

8 Likes

First, congrats on your first cover! It usually takes me weeks to feel comfortable with a song before recording…

Does this mean there is NO bassline on the original?? Or, did you want to add your own?? Also, when you say “improvise”, did you make it up on the fly as you recorded or did you have some ideas/sketches beforehand based on the chords??

9 Likes

I stripped the original bass out of the song as best I could using @terb method
By improvise, I mean I didn’t have a bassline written down or planned. I just played the root notes (according to the chords) and added arpeggios and walking basslines on the fly. It was totally improv, although I did have a couple of ideas of what I wanted to do. I practiced my ideas several times before recording.

8 Likes

This song is incredibly easy to learn, as it only uses 3 notes throughout the song… D, G, C in that order. I just had to create the fills and move it around the fret board to make it interesting.

8 Likes

That’s very modest to be fair @PamPurrs
I’ve been messing about with a piece of music that is missing a few bars of bass line at the end of it and as of yet I’ve got no further than using the root notes after a good few weeks of going back and forth with it.
The fact that you not only played your own bass line to the song using root notes but also improvised the fills is really impressive imho.

8 Likes

Well done Pam @PamPurrs that’s a great cover. You blend right in there very nice. :rose:
Jamie

6 Likes

Aaand I am definitely not posting what will sound like a monkey playing with its feet after hearing some of these.

One day when I’ve started the course again now that life’s distractions are out of the way.

8 Likes

It’s a massive step to post something @architecht13 BUT having someone listen and help where they can is a real plus in a person’s learning curve.
I’m still really not 100% happy with anything I play. Even the simple stuff can sound off to me and it can sometimes makes me “ throw my teddy out of my pram”.
For people I honestly consider my peers to kindly listen and voice their opinions without any mean criticism is a real boost to me personally and pushes me to try to improve.

8 Likes

That’s really nice Brian @TNKA36

I notice many people are posting videos of themselves playing their covers. I only posted the audio of mine. Should I post a video also?

6 Likes

I’m hoping that’s down to personal choice :scream:
To say I’m camera shy is an understatement :joy:

5 Likes

yeah the video format is just an ornament to make the cover more fun and interesting to watch, but what really matters is of course the audio track ! we’re musicians, not actors :joy: so an audio track is perfectly fine, and if you want to make a video it’s just even more cool :grin:

6 Likes

I’m thinking I might make a video of my cover of Sunday Morning now…

5 Likes

@Mac I appreciate the kind words. Since joining the forum here, I’ve had a ton of stuff that kept me from doing the lessons properly- from pain from my back to stupid family drama, it’s held me back a little.

I know I should just take it as an “I’ll get there.” thought process, but it’s hard when you’re disappointed with your progress or lack of regardless of the circumstances. I think we get annoyed when we don’t see any progress, but I think it’s an annoyance with a real reason behind it rather than acting out like a kid who put no work into something and expected a ton of results.

Thank you for the morning clarity, it actually helped!

(The playing in the recording is a bit crap, though haha. Entry one to track progress!)

6 Likes

Okay so it’s 2.52am here in Oz ,I’ve played with through once and with the exception of the last 4 notes which I stuffed upsets not too shabby. Creep by Radiohead played on my Fender P with flat wound La Bellas and through the Zoom B1four using the Sans Amp Clean setting

14 Likes

Good stuff (especially for 2:52 am :grin:)!!

I like your groove and phrasing and your dynamics - pretty well done!

I am not sure whether the recording level is almost too high - it seems to distort a bit (but that might be from the effect settings!?) Also, some tuning issue!?! The A string sounds a bit out of tune… (it’s seems noticeable to me when you play the B and C there…) But, those are all peanuts - well played, I would say :smile:

5 Likes

that’s great @Mac ! I can’t really judge the tone and the mix, but your playing sounds very good, as far as I can tell with the temporary backup computer speakers I’m listening with.

also great band and great album to cover :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s distorting, I think it’s phasing with the song’s original bassline.

5 Likes