Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Those copyright things are a pain in the ass for us. Being flagged for making a cover only for fun and learning reasons drives me crazy.

If you have a website you can upload the mp3 and then copy/paste the link here in the forum, it will embed a neat MP3 player. If you donā€™t have anywhere to upload your mp3, you could send it to me and I would upload it on my server.

3 Likes

Itā€™s very nice of you to offer to upload it to your server for me! But I will try to do this from my side, and embed the link here.

Yes, it is a real bummer that this happens, because doing this cover has really helped me to take some of the concepts I learned in B2B and apply them to a real song! I would really recommend this exercise to everyone, regardless of whether thereā€™s an easy way to share your cover or not.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s great @Vik , Iā€™m happy you liked doing this. Canā€™t wait to ear your cover :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ā€œOur Houseā€, by Madness. I chose this song for no other reason than itā€™s been stuck in my head this week, so I figured, letā€™s do a bass cover for it :slightly_smiling_face: Itā€™s about 90% true to the recording, (not including my mistakes, lol) but there were some tough syncopated 16th notes and fills that I couldnā€™t get, so I simplified a few bars.

Some takeaways:

1. I can see why Josh stresses the Ultimate Groove Workout. Keeping time gets hard when the tempo and chord progressions are moving fast. Even harder towards the end of that cover, where there are 8 bars of a bass solo, and no drums or guitar to help you know where you are. (Thatā€™s the reason I didnā€™t do the whole song, thereā€™s a 16 bar solo coming up after that one :crazy_face:)
  2. Anything over a minute seems like an eternity of bass playing right now! This one was a bit frustrating to learn, but, worth the time put in - better dexterity now, for both fretting and plucking hand, some knowledge of working with a DAW, and other good stuff.

Again, highly recommended for all levels. And, for anyone considering this, give it a try! No judgment here at Bassbuzz Forums, and the worst that can happen is that youā€™ll learn something.

9 Likes

thatā€™s great @Vik ! :+1: Iā€™m so happy you enjoyed doing this cover :slight_smile: and appreciate the benefits in terms of learning. the knowledge of working with DAW is precious in my opinion, those tools really expand our musical lives.

you can be proud, this song is not slow and you did well. Iā€™m not a teacher but if I try to help with constructive criticism, Iā€™d say your rythmic placement seems to float a little bit, maybe a point you could improve :slight_smile:

again, thatā€™s great ! :+1:

3 Likes

here is a very short and very contextual cover :rofl:

22 Likes

haha excellent

4 Likes

Just a quick word to say I love this thread. Yā€™all are rad.

4 Likes

Nice @Vik! Thatā€™s a super ambitious track to try after doing Beginner to Badass, all that 16th note syncopation would throw plenty of people whoā€™ve been playing for years. As you can probably hear listening back, you go in and out of nailing the rhythms, and drifting off the track a bit - which is great! If youā€™re getting it sometimes, that means you can get it all the time, with some work.

And yeah, Ultimate Groove Workout! Iā€™ve been doing that since I was a teenager, and I still do it as part of my morning routine. It shows no mercy.

Haha flawless BassBuzz theme cover @terb! Nice all-down picking. :slight_smile:

You should try the new theme out, itā€™s way more fun -

6 Likes

Thanks @JoshFossgreen ! Yeah, I didnā€™t realize the level of difficulty on that one until I was already pretty into it! Then, when I was done :man_facepalming: face palm moment - I couldā€™ve just made life easier by picking something from the First 50 Songs book laying on my desk.

Still worth it though & I always appreciate your input! This will make the easier songs way easier now - Iā€™m kind of seeing this already as I go back through B2B - some of those first lessons are almost too easy now, and Iā€™m tempted to skip them, but, itā€™s a great gauge because every module was a challenge the first time around :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thereā€™s some pretty tough songs in that First 50 book, beware! Like, Hysteria is in there.

A better title for the book is probably ā€œ50 songs that gigging bassists must know to make moneyā€ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ll consider myself warned! Once I get into a song, I just donā€™t want to scrap it, even if itā€™s beyond my ability. Iā€™d rather play it bad, but get through it, then later on, worry about improving.

Not always the best strategy though - some songs end up being real monsters to learn to play!

3 Likes

@Vik, coincidentally, there was a Madness concert on TV here the other night and I was fixated on the bass. Firstly to see what he was playing (I think it was a Fender Jazz), and secondly to see how much of the bass line I could pick out by sight alone.

I love the early Madness, before they became quite pop, and when they played Night Boat to Cairo and One Step Beyond I realised how straightforward much of their bass was. Iā€™ve added those two tracks to me list of ā€œLines to Learnā€.

4 Likes

OK,ā€¦ Itā€™s Friday Night here in Middle Georgia and all the local high school football teams are getting ready to battle it out down hereā€¦ So, hereā€™s my (heavy on the bass) rendition of ā€˜Hey Joeā€™ as played by one of my favorite lead guitar players (Popa Chubby) with me on my TRBX 304ā€¦ Ainā€™t the greatest, but at least Iā€™m having fun!!

Hey Joe w-Bass Line2 by DBF Lanny

on #SoundCloud

19 Likes

hey @Lanny , thatā€™s great ! your bass line is pretty clean and neat ! you and the 304 are doing the job pretty well, almost ready to go gigging with Popa Chubby :sunglasses:

Iā€™m so happy to ear your covers, guys ! :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks @terbā€¦ The 304 with half-rounds has a much smoother/cooler tone than the 174 with round-wounds which (IMHO) gives the song contrast to the Popa Chubby style, and (again, IMHO) helps lift his lead riffs so that his style becomes the highlight of the arrangement.

1 Like

yeah it sounds a bit dark and mellow, but nothing extreme. I like how a dark bass tone acts as a foundation on the mix.

by the way Iā€™m convinced that tone choices are an important part of the music creation process. Itā€™s very personnal and often contextual, so it reflects a part of the playerā€™s personnality and vision of a particular song. and obviously itā€™s an important part of the mix and of the final render of the song !

3 Likes

Love that Hendrix jam, and your bass sounds great - heck, just going for 6 minutes straight is way more than I can do at this point, so to me, just that is awesome!

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more! When I trey to explain ā€œgrooveā€ to anyone, I always explain it this wayā€¦ ā€œGroove = Mood + Toneā€

2 Likes

Thanks @Vikā€¦ Iā€™ve played to several renditions of that song and still have trouble with the Hendrix version which is why I chose Popa Chubbyā€™s even though his version is way longer than Hendrix. Gary Moore has a version out there also, but itā€™s played at a much slower tempo that is a bit too slow for my styleā€¦

3 Likes