Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Yes @joergkutter, it does help and the more I play bass, the easier it gets to be able to transition a style specific to me. Hinderance?? Not now since I took @JoshFossgreen’s b2b course because what I wanted to really learn was proper bass technique in order to be able to find a way to use that proper technique along with my guitar skills playing bass (and, hey, maybe some of my bass skills on guitar??) - probably not much different than @terb’s reason for taking the course I’d guess - we all have our reasons…

Thanks for the well-wishes… The doc promised me that I’d have the energy and stamina like I had back when I was 30 - 40 years younger!! Looking forward to that even though my wife might not be…:joy::joy::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Yeah seriously, best of luck to you man - not that you’ll need it, but still.

3 Likes

Thanks Joe … Who knows, maybe when I’m fixed up, I’ll be playing al little more of terbs genre instead of my old ‘60’s and ‘70’s rock…!!:joy::+1:

3 Likes

that’s pretty much the same reasons for me, yes.

2 Likes

Surely there must be something else you can shoot the shit out of?

1 Like

I don’t have much time now, but here is at least a new cover :sweat_smile: and I have a lot to say about it !

Brassy - Nervous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-FWVyLfi8

so :

1. This song has a great meaning to me as it was one of the two covers we played, about 15 years ago, with a band called Kernel Panic. I played the guitar in this band and we played original songs, but we found it could be funny to swap our instruments during the concerts. That’s why we added two covers, including this song, and I even found an old picture showing me and my long hair playing this song live ! and you can also see my friend Mathieu, who was the bass player of the band, playing my yellow Telecaster :slight_smile: fun fact also, the girl with the blue shirt in the first row of the public was my girlfriend at this time.

1. The original mix is very dirty, very sticky I’d say : everything is saturated, everything overlaps on every frequency. It’s a big garage/punk mess. I tried to remaster the track to make it sound a little bit less … messy.

2. For the first time on this thread, I did not use an amp model. What you ear is a 100% analog bass tone. The preamp is my modded BDI21, pluged into the power section of my Ampeg BA115-HPT. I built a special cable to bypass the amp’s preamp and use only the BDI21. Then the sound is recorded with a Sennheiser e906 hanging in front of the speaker. I even did not use the DOD compressor this time, but I added a subtle compression in the mix to manage the dynamic range of the amp (which is not at all the same thing as using an analog comp in front of the signal chain). Anyway the effect is pretty light on the mix, and I even did not EQed the track, it’s the raw EQ recorded by the microphone. Here is the special cable :

1. by the way, when I was setting up my bass tone for this cover and its messy mix, I realized that my contour mod on the BDI21 is too sensitive. so, I will have to mod the mod :slight_smile: and hopefully one day release a clean mod with instructions, so everyone would be able to mod his/her BDI21 !

2. @JoshFossgreen will be proud of me, seeing that I can use my pinky and place my thumb behind the neck when needed ! :metal::grin::v:

3. @Lanny had a good idea by creating a website for his covers, so I did the same :grin: nothing serious, it’s just a place to store all my covers neatly. I think it’s a good idea because when I’ll be searching for a band, I will be able to show the guys what I recorded with only one link, it seems to be pretty convenient. not really interesting here because I will keep posting my covers on this thread, obviously, but here is the site : https://basse.laurentberta.com/

11 Likes

Very cool, @terb . . . :metal:

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks Joe !

2 Likes

It is awesome when you are able to make a (meaningful) connection from where you are today to music you played 15 years ago, and bring back memories and basically revive old and existing, but hardly used neuronal pathways in your brain - well done!

So, did you play the cover on top of a recording from your band then, or did you use the “real” original?? The former would be even sweeter, I guess!?

All the stuff you do with the sound is impressive, but still pretty much beyond me, but I can tell you that my Quadrophenia cover band will be called “Mod the Mod” :grin:

2 Likes

love it ! :v::sunglasses:

No, it’s the original track from the album. We never recorded the covers so I did not had any choice ! but I must have some recordings of some original songs back from the days, it would be funny to create and record new bass tracks … I keep the idea :slight_smile:

The funny thing is that I realized I played a simplified version of the bass line at the time. I don’t remember if it was a concious choice ; at the time I almost never played bass. On the cover I recorded yesterday, the bass line is pretty much the same than on the album.

2 Likes

Song is awesome, love the distorted chorused bass tone, and what Joerg said about the memories - it’s awesome that you can reconnect with yourself from 15 years back.

3 Likes

Cool song. Great Job on the cover. All the details made for a fun read. Do you have a picture to show how you’re using that custom cable?

1 Like

thank you Eric ! I don’t have a picture but it’s pretty easy to explain.

The first thing to know is that the Ampeg BA115-HPT does not have an effect loop, so I can’t simply plug the BDI21 on the Return input to bypass the integrated preamp. But, this amp has an input (dual Cinch connectors) for an external source like a MP3 reader, for practice purpose (like many other amps). it’s pretty useless but the interesting point is that this input is located just before the Master volume, after the preamp. So, the goal was just to be able to connect the jack output on the BDI21 to the cinch input on the amp, and so the cable is nothing more than a mono instrument cable with a jack plug at one end and a cinch plug at the other end.

1 Like

Excellent - and as a bonus you can now play Start by The Jam.

1 Like

@terb, YOU ROCK DUDE!! Love what you did using an old analog recording to resurrect an original song you and your band recorded so that you could once again play in with that same group many years later! Excellent tone, and it sounds as if you got the mix at a perfect level.

It certainly is a good idea to use your website as a holding spot for all your covers. Much easier way to market ones self when it comes to music.

Will be looking forward to the next one!

2 Likes

thank you @Lanny ! but the cover is based on the album track and not the cover we made a few years ago with the band. anyway it still felt pretty familiar to play this song :v::grin:

2 Likes

I felt like I wanted to share something again - a sort of cover, where I have added a bass line to a previously recorded version of a song of the group I am in now (recorded before I joined). It’s again far from perfect (some mistakes, the “old” (inferior cough) bass is still audible here and there, and the vocals are still missing (hence, a bit repetitive), but, anyway, here it is:

PS: I don’t know what soundcloud did to me now - all my previous uploads seem to be missing and my username is now “user923370647” - what a drag! I probably need to do the webpage thing in the future, like @Lanny and @terb.

EDIT: Ah, it seems I have two accounts - thanks, Google!! :joy:

4 Likes

hey user923370647 ! :grin:

I like your bass line, it sounds more evolved than what you posted before, with some nice melodic variations here and there. that’s cool ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wow that tone is gorgeous.

2 Likes

Thanks, @terb! I guess I am getting indeed more experienced!

Yes, absolutely, @howard - I am getting more and more fond of my Yamaha; the more I play it, the more I like it!

3 Likes