Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Here’s my last-minute Christmas cover of Clarence Carter’s “Back Door Santa.” I have the B.B. King version on my Christmas playlist, but that bassline is just root notes so went with the original.

Recorded on Fender MiM P Bass with flatwounds directly into DAI.

Pretty simple 12-bar blues song with some fills, but kind of challenging to get the timing down for the quick turn at the end of each measure. It’s another one of those old recordings with very prevalent bass, so it’s tough to cut that down enough without making the original sound like sh#t. So the bass may sound doubled up a bit.

Not my most polished effort but I wanted to get it done before Christmas. Now I just need to finish up Christmas shopping :sweat_smile:

Happy Holidays to everyone and thanks for being an awesome community!

12 Likes

Great cover and well played! Definitely better that just root notes.
Happy Holidays to you @bjams!

4 Likes

Very nice @bjams. Well done :clap:

5 Likes

that’s an excellent cover @bjams ! very cool bass line, played nicely with a very appropriate tone, it just sounds “right” to me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great cover @sfadams, perfect time for this tune as well

4 Likes

Merry Christmas everybody.

https://youtu.be/okxt_K7Kbmo

17 Likes

Yay Warwick :slight_smile:

Well played, nice work using the pinky there. Looks like you have a solid finger spread going.

5 Likes

right on time @sfadams !
:santa:

6 Likes

Very well done @sfadams :clap:

3 Likes

Nice job @bjams👍
Merry Christmas :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Nice fret work @sfadams,:+1:
Merry Christmas,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Very nice @sfadams!
Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

3 Likes

Wow @TNKA36 … That bass has a fat sound! I listened to that at 1am and had to quickly kill my sub or the whole family would have woken up and kicked my arse!! Very nice Brian.

5 Likes

Very solid performance @sfadams. Great job.

4 Likes

OK !

Redeye Caravan - Banshee

Redeye Caravan is a greek band and this song is from their last album, Nostrum Remedium, released in January 2020. A few songs are interesing in a dark country perspective but I like especially this one, with its very warm and organic vocal line. That said, the original bass line is not interesting at all, very flat. So, I replaced it entirely by mine, and hopefully it sounds more lively but still in a pure dark country flavor.

Greenie in EADG, with the country-foam-block, plugged straight into the Bass POD Pro.

12 Likes

Great song! I like it and great playing. I don’t know what the original bass line was, but yours seems to fit perfectly.

6 Likes

Greenie’s tone was perfect for that song.

Very nice rolling bassline, perfect and subtle, supporting. Nice work.

Also perfect hat for the song :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Another one by New Order, with my bestie on guitar and me getting my Hooky on. Our cover of Temptation, one of their best songs, and one with a lot of personal meaning for me.

Only my second try at vocals - still terrified by them :slight_smile:

Bass: Yamaha TRBX604FM
Synth: Kilohearts Phase Plant
Guitar: Gretsch 5120
Drums: Steven Slate Drums SSD-5
Mic: Shure PGA-58
Backup “oohs” vocals: Synthesizer V (Eleanor Forte Lite version)
Plugins: many

Tracked and mixed in Reaper.

https://youtu.be/0DIm19t7CvY

14 Likes

@howard your covers are so incredibly innovative, and your singing voice is superb. I enjoyed listening to this very much.

7 Likes

@terb you keep raising the bar for covers. Thank you for making me work harder at improving my technique.

I enjoyed this very much!

7 Likes