Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thank you! But I’d hardly call anything I do a creation.
:grin:

4 Likes

It’s definitely a creation, even if it is based on another work.

4 Likes

At the risk if sounding like a grammar cop, anything you “create” is a creation.
But more to the point, I have enjoyed your covers. I think you do a splendid job.

4 Likes

Thank you both @howard and @PamPurrs for the kind words. :blush:

4 Likes

very impressive work @howard ! the production is way over the previous covers your posted, in my opinion : the mix is very clear, the mastering is just what it needs to be. every track shines but still keeps its place relatively to the others, that’s a very very good job !

also very nice cover in general : not only the mix is good obviously !

:grin::ok_hand:

4 Likes

Cerce - Damaged Goods

This song is certainly my favorite of the Cerce discography. To me, it’s a perfect composition. It might seem a little bit noisy at first :smiley: but at least it’s very short … also there are a lot of changes everywhere and it involves way more counting that it may appear.

The song is in Drop-C#, which is certainly my favorite tuning. It set up the Graboïd for this tuning with heavier strings than what I have on Greenie. (the bass still works in EADG/DADG but with a slightly higher action)

I’m quite happy with the bass tone I managed to get from this old beast. I used the modded ODB-3 and a graphic EQ in front of it to boost the high mids and treble (1.6 kHz - 3.2 kHz) and to get more grit and attack noise. I like how it sounds at the same time fat and agressive. The price to pay was the EM noises, hard to manage with a saturated single coil pickup. I had to find a specific place/orientation in the room where the EM noises were quieter, and I recorded from there.

This Grabber would be pretty hard to use live (at least with the kind of tone I expect from it), but it’s a studio monster in my opinion.

13 Likes

@terb it sounded right to me, but I’m a poor judge since I don’t ever listen to that kind of music and have no idea what it’s supposed to sound like. But I can tell you did a good job on it.

5 Likes

@terb good job man! I enjoy your videos great “chug” form that set up

4 Likes

@howard

Nice job… my favorite so far! Great energy, love that beat

5 Likes

Good cover Laurent. I completely agree with @PamPurrs and the playing sounds like it fits perfectly.

5 Likes

The Grabber has a real mean sound at that tuning. Sounds great :+1:
The cover was very professional as always @terb

And it just gets better and better @howard! The production quality certainly throws the gauntlet down to many of us mere mortals

5 Likes

Love your productions @howard. As you probably know, I’m big time into production beyond just the music, so you know how much I appreciate your effort.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the comments!

4 Likes

Oh this is really, really bad ass. The tone coming from that thing is still clear and not muddy despite being dropped and distorted. I love it. I’m impressed with the Graboid so far. Use it more please :slight_smile:

I’m also impressed with your mods to the ODB-3. That simply sounds better and less tinny and thin than any ODB I have heard. I’m in the minority that actually likes the original pedal too but it definitely doesn’t sound as good as the modded one. The original is a pedal that begs to be used in a parallel chain and you fixed that problem.

Also this band sounds amazing, need to check them out. Definitely right up my alley.

4 Likes

thank you all :grin:

yes @howard the ODB-3 mod is really great. for the price of a used ODB-3 (roughly 50€ here) and a few electronic components, it’s a must have. also it’s a really easy mod. the controls are still quite weird and strangely sensitive to the output level of the instrument, but anyway, I really like this pedal.

1 Like

Thanks @Mike_NL,
Must be the light, I don’t have big bass player hands, the stretching has been something that I really focused on when I started playing first time around between 1989-1992. My bass teacher at the time (Stephen Oprey) made a point of focusing on this, you can check him out playing with “The Badloves” or “Weddings,Parties,Anything” to get an idea of his playing style👍
I only started playing bass again in March 2020 when Covid kicked in in Melbourne, and again I always focused on getting one finger per fret.
I think long term it can make it easier to get around the fret board and it builds dexterity and strength in all 4 fretting fingers.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Can’t wait to see you playing a cover @Sp33dSnakr,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice work Howard @howard,
Your getting really nice tone especially down low on the Yamaha :+1:
Great production also😎
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice work Howard, loving the whole visuals and the production, sound and vocals,
Really cool👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice cover Laurent @terb,
Very grungy sound, not my kinda music but I appreciate your playing with the newly acquired beast👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes