Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Hey Guys

I’ve been working on this one whilst going through the B2B modules…Didnt have my camera available to record me playing so just added some pics.

To he honest, I found this one really tough, I couldn’t seem to really nail the timing, but I’ll revisit from time to time and hopefully as I move through the course it’ll improve :slight_smile:

Cheers
Matthew

12 Likes

@Liffguard
Love that song and a great cover. Nothing wrong with using Karaoke version for the backing track. I have an account with them and I’ll use that version when I can’t fully remove the bass line with the tools I have. Great performance.

4 Likes

@MattHinchliffe,
That didn’t sound bad at all. My first two covers were slides/photos as well, nothing wrong with that. Good job! Keep at it.

4 Likes

@Gio a great and very freestyle cover :smiley: very funny to watch, and I will definitly check the Lowstar Rodeo album !

@Liffguard very nice cover, you look very concentrated and your bass line sounds very good, very neat

@MattHinchliffe the video covers are fun but not mandatory at all. your cover sounds good and is quite well played !

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about that at all - I have done the same! In fact, most of the times, these are good versions (very, very close to the original), and much cleaner to work with if you want to record a cover! Good job here! Maybe I wouldn’t tap out the beats on a string during the “tacet” parts :grin:- that might get you in trouble at some point…

4 Likes

Willie Watson - Gallows Pole

(there are some small sync issues with the video)

Willie Watson is a founding member of Old Crow Medicine Show, and he plays also with Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch with Dave Rawlings Machine. That’s certainly because he’s a member of this famous crew that I discovered Willie Watson, thanks to the Youtube suggestions :grin:

I like this song, especially this live version which is quite minimal. I decided to try to add my bass line. I had to keep it very minimal, very “open” to keep the spirit of the song. It’s all in the timing, droning and muting.

Greenie in EADG straight into the Bass POD Pro. This time I didn’t use the foam, because I wanted a long sustain to fill the empty parts. So, to keep some consistency with my usual country bass tone and considering that the foam makes Greenie sound more dark, I rolled down the Tone pot to 5.

15 Likes

Hey @Liffguard,
Nice job on your cover, good right hand finger crossing, liked the tone and you look very focused.
I agree with Joerg with regards to tapping fingers on strings, but we are all different and if this works for you👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Very nice, @terb . . . fits perfectly with the rest of the song :+1:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

thank you @Jazzbass19 !

4 Likes

Nice first up cover @MattHinchliffe,
Fitted nicely, timing was ok, just a couple spots around the 1.40m to 1.50m.
Maybe just add a bit more bass into the mix👍It was a little overwhelmed in a couple of spots😎
Another thing to keep in mind is we are always more self critical, what you think would probably not even be noticed by the audience (US)
I look back over the covers I’ve done and in reflection think I could have done this better or why didn’t I pick that up, in the end it doesn’t matter because we are improving all the time.
Keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Nice cover Laurent @terb,
Less is more👍, loved the openness of the track, your tone was spot on, just a plain tshirt🤔
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks for that review Brian, that really helps. I’m am pleased with it overall and I can see my progress. Your right about being overly critical…I’m very much my own worst critic…I do a lot of my recording through headphones as well, so I seem much more aware of any slight issues. I usually like to listen back to the final mix in the car :). I’ll look boosting the bass a bit as well… The whole recording/mixing etc is a new to me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey Matt @MattHinchliffe,
It was new to me when I started here last year, the guys on the forum are really helpful and provide great feedback to help us improve our playing etc.
As I said earlier, I look back at my playing on the first covers I did and what I’m doing now and I see the big improvements in both my recording and my playing :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

I agree with Joerg with regards to tapping fingers on strings, but we are all different and if this works for you.

Just an absentminded habit rather than something planned. Luckily it wasn’t audible in the mix. Definitely something for me to work on though.

4 Likes

Nice job @Liffguard I had that song on my list of covers to do, but I don’t think I could do it any better than you did it. I only wish I could have heard a little more volume on the backing track, but otherwise it was splendid.

4 Likes

Hey @MattHinchliffe Matthew there’s nothing wrong with just doing a slide show with your cover. You sounded great and the timing was great. You stayed in the groove the entire song, and that’s the most important thing.

5 Likes

Nice job @terb. I don’t normally like your choice of music, but this was quite enjoyable. I really liked the song and your bass line. You always do such a magnificent job of laying down a great groove. I’m still amazed at how well you to this while sitting down LOL. I couldn’t do it.

4 Likes

That tone is perfect for this song, I like Greenie rolled off like that. I like where the bass is sitting in the mix too.

Technique-wise you are demonstrating very good form in the video too, some serious pinky reach there :slight_smile:

It kind of sounds like the bass is getting some very light phasing at times in the sustain, not sure where that is coming from - might just be some killer color that the bass just has. I love it.

5 Likes

Another great cover @terb Laurent! I liked the song, it kind of reminded me of some James Taylor material back in his early years. Great tone out of Greenie.

4 Likes

thank you all :grin:

5 Likes