Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Nice work @Sp33dSnakr,
You are already aware of the areas that need work.
I reckon if you do this again in 6 months you will be amazed at how much improvements you have made​:+1::sunglasses:
I have listened to some of my early covers and personally know how I played them then and how I would play them now, there would be no comparison.
Great to see you putting yourself out there, keep pushing :+1:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Good job Toby! You rocked it!

4 Likes

Hey @kerushlow,
I like this one heaps better than the first one, very cool.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great job and a good choice for a cover!

4 Likes

Thank you Laurent @Terb Brian @TNKA36 and Jery @JerryP

I did really enjoy this one. Not just cuz I love this song, it was such a statement of my younger life. Yes I was a huge asshole and cared mostly for myself. Song is kind of an anthem for me in that way. Thanked I grew up and can see past the end of my own nose now , and have flipped it 180 to where I care so much about others that I pride myself to be one that will go out of the way to help someone in need.

That said, I still love the song, and until now, I knew the words, and the structure of the song. I just had do pick out the bass line. First learning it on a medical YT channel, this guy covers a lot of cool songs from a wide range od genre and bands. From his site alone, I have my next 10 or so songs that I plan to cover.
Hint - spoiler alert
1-more Sex Pistols
2 the Cult
3 Danzig
4 - (This is gonna be a great surprise, please don’t anyone beat me to it).
4 will be DEVO. It may not be last, it may not be next, but it will be.

But I learned something huge with this last cover here.
I learned to play the song with the song. I wasn’t playing a bass line. I did not separate me from the tune, Iput myself into the tune, the way music is meany to be played.

It can be challenging to get to that point. When you first approach it, you spend so much time and focus on learning the bass part of the song. Then you get so locked into playing it 4/4 at 126 bpm, and that’s it.
But when you put the music on, you listen to the music for your ques, and for your lead in Nd out.
Saying it, it makes so much sense, but getting to where you can do it, takes a lot of work.
If anybody out there feels like you struggle to become one with the song, don’t give up on it, it will come. Pick songs you love, that you could sing karaoke to, and nail all the singing part. Pick songs that are at or not far past your current level. A little challenge is nice, but if you can’t get in the song, step back the technical difficulty and go to another song you love that is a little easier. There you go, you will find the magic when you can play the part and play with the song. And it feels great once you do it. And then you know how to do that more and more, and getting more technical as you go. But always back down a notch if you can’t get in the song you are working on. HTH

4 Likes

Fugazi - Blueprint

I love this song. It’s the 5th track of Fugazi’s first album, called Repeater and released in 1990. I was 10 at the time and I’ve known about Fugazi years later. Founded by Ian MacKaye, former singer and guitarist of Minor Threat which has been a very influent punk hardcore band, Fugazi has also been very influent.

Greenie tuned in EADG, straight into the POD X3. I’m impressed by this preamp. I just tried the Ampeg SVT model and set everything very fast. I find that the X3 behaves a bit like the Bass Floor POD (sounds agressive with a lot of gain ; here I’m only at 45%) but with a better sound quality and infinitly more possibilities.

11 Likes

Sanctuary?

Mongoloid?

:slight_smile:

Love DEVO, looking forward to what you pick.

5 Likes

Nice. Fugazi is great. I probably knew them most from Waiting Room and Arpeggiator.

Greenie’s got the perfect tone for this. And yeah the SVT sim is doing well there.

Just watched it again, I really like the chorus part of the bassline. Cool bassline overall.

4 Likes

yeah I like this song but it’s not very well recorded and mixed, so it’s not easy to make something really clean and polished. but, clean and polished, that’s not what Fugazi is.

5 Likes

Hey Toby @T_dub , I’m not a fan of the Sex Pistols (Not that I dislike them), but I enjoyed listening to this. You did a very good job of developing your own baseline and performing it.
I like your story also.

4 Likes

The only “complain” I have is that your bass is too low in that mix, try mixing it with 3db difference from original track, otherwise good job.
:+1:

4 Likes

A new recording attempt, covering one of my favourite bands, Biffy Clyro (who I’ll hopefully be seeing live this year if covid cases drop low enough).

I didn’t struggle with playing this too much (although it took a while to wrap my head around the rhythm in a few places), but actually recording and editing it was a bit of a challenge. I couldn’t find a good version with the bassline removed, so I tried to do it myself by messing around the EQ in Studio One. Cutting the bass entirely made the whole thing sound way too tinny. So I’ve settled on a compromise that got rid of most of the original bass. It still sounds a bit tinny, but not as bad as it could be.

Also not sure about the mix volume at various points. Think the bass comes through too loud in some sections and too quiet in others. I’ll probably mess around with it more in future, but for now I decided not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good and just get something finished.

Anyway, here’s A Girl And His Cat by Biffy Clyro.

12 Likes

That’s some good bass playing there @Liffguard. I’m not familiar with that song (or the artist), so I can’t comment on the quality of the mixing. However, it seemed okay to me.

3 Likes

hey @Liffguard, nice bass playing, that’s well played and the timing is good. about the mix, if it can help : you cut way too much lows on the original track. it’s much a notch at a precise frequency (usually around 200 to 300 Hz) than really cutting all the lows. the goal is to remove a maximum of the bass spectrum without destroying the other instrument tracks. beware of the kick especially, which is usually not far from the bass. Also on this song your tone and register are more focused in the medium than in the low, that’s important to take this into consideration because the goal of EQing the original track is to make room for your new line, so you really have to focus on this frequency range. hope it helps :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I definitely plan to have another stab at it and try to get a more balanced sound.

5 Likes

Very nice Laurent, @terb,
great mix with really nice tone :+1:
The bass setup through the electronics was really awesome,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Nice job @Liffguard,
great job with both hands on the fret board.
You looked right in the the groove :+1:
These types of covers with plenty of space are more challenging IMO, because you have to be right on time with the changes, and you did a really good job of that :sunglasses:
I agree the bass was a bit washed out in the mix, but it didn’t take anything away from it.
Nice to see another 5ver, and standing as if your playing live is heaps better than sitting.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I concur completely!

3 Likes

Great job, and really like that tone @Liffguard . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Thanks, it was honestly a struggle to come in on time at the very start of the song. Took me about seven takes to get that right. After that it wasn’t too bad sticking to the groove, until the final section after the bridge where it took about another five takes to come in on time. :sweat_smile:

I have to admit I usually use a 4-string. Went with a 5-string on this one because otherwise I’d have to downtune the E-string by a semitone to hit the low D#. But that made it slightly too floppy and wasn’t great to play. Also, the B-string opened up some easier fretting options.

5 Likes