Post your covers! (2019-2022)

about the preamp on a Stingray, it would be possible to create an accurate reproduction of the original vintage 2-band EQ. it’s not very complicated :

and I’m sure there are aftermarket reproductions

5 Likes

Plus, all of the preamps have option for 3 or 4 knobs. You can get the same 3 knob config like your bass is, so no other mods need to be made, and the Mid and Hi will be a stacked control.
You can go for the classic look and go for the 4 knobs on the control panel, but you will need to drill into the side and ream it to fid the Jack receptacle.
Beyond my capabilities with the tools I have easy access to, but it is not that much more work. You probably need to get the mounting plate to bolt to the side of the bass to hold the jack receptacle in place.

One last thing to consider, if you like the skinny neck on this bass, better than the big fat Stingray neck, then you may be better pimping thisone out with really good electronics. Cuz everything above this model has the fat neck.
But since you like to play a P bass, I don’t really think that will be a problem for you, but I just thought I would mention it just in case.

3 Likes

Nice cover. I do love a good bass slide. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Toby,
Is there a video for the actual modification?

2 Likes

I am sure you can find one, but sounds like you just wire the two wires that are not soldiered to the solder points of the matching wire.
I think we should get one of the elcecrical wizards in here , but I am sure that it is extremely simple.

Probably @terb or @howard, @davet, and others will be able to walk you thru it.

I will hunt for a video or document on it for you.

Will be good to know if that little Toluca Lake Blue GEM every arrives at my house, I will have to do the mod as well

2 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Neck radiuses, sizes, shapes, etc

A quick n’ dirty (office at lunchtime) cover of ‘Let’s Stick Together’ by Bryan Ferry. A straightforward 12-bar progression but with a lot of staccato notes (hard work (for me) and tests the timing!)

https://youtu.be/6S1bSfXWTwk

19 Likes

Very good, @sfadams . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Very good job @sfadams, you played that song splendidly and I enjoyed listening to it. I watched your plucking hand throughout the entire video and am impressed with your smooth plucking and movement of the thumb anchor when necessary. :clap: :clap: :clap:

6 Likes

Nice staccato playing @sfadams! That is a major workout on the fretting hand for sure. Well played.

6 Likes

excellent cover @sfadams ! as always, I really like your attitude while playing. that’s truely excellent.

constructive critisim maybe ? a few “early attack syndrom”, very few, when you go to the trebly side of the rythm. also, sorry to say that but I don’t like your bass tone on this one, it’s too much focused in the midrange in my opinion. it sounds like a bass plugged straight into a DAI.

again very personnal positions and I say all that in the hope it will helpful to go further. the cover is excellent overall.

6 Likes

Funny, I have the same song on my list to cover…good job :+1:

6 Likes

That was a really cool cover @sfadams :sunglasses:
Great movement at both ends of the bass .

5 Likes

Great cover @sfadams! Never heard the song before, but who doesn’t like a 12 bar progression? Superb playing!
:+1:

3 Likes

Thank you @Jazzbass19, @PamPurrs, @bjams, @terb, @Noisembryo, @Mac, @JerryP for all your kind words (and everybody else who gave the cover a like).

A few more specific replies:

This song was one of BF’s bigger hits outside of Roxy Music. It was written as a love letter to his then-girlfriend, Jerry Hall. But Ms. Hall promptly ignored the song, leaving Mr. Ferry for some bloke called Mick Jagger. Quite what she saw in all these multi-millionaire rock stars is beyond me. :grin:

Go for it! A great song where the bass carries a lot of the melody.

Well, I don’t own pedals or an amp. So, straight into the interface is all I can do. Sorry about that. You are quite correct that I gave the upper and lower mids a boost (see below), that was to make sure the bass punched through the mix as it does on the original recording. But I take your point and maybe I’ll ease off this idea a bit next time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Pam. I blame Josh for this. It might be the only part of my technique which is remotely close to being ‘textbook’.

7 Likes

Nice cover @sfadams,
Getting around the fretboard nicely,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Very nice one, indeed!

5 Likes

no problem at all :slight_smile: I see you use a VST ; a simple amp sim VST would help a lot ! I’m sure there are free ones that sound good !

5 Likes

Ignite SHB-1 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The SHB-1 on a pop song. That’s just Subhuman :wink:

Happy to take critique and learn, but I’m not convinced the tone I got sounded so poor that it really needs an amp sim.

Speculating, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the bassist on ‘Let’s Stick Together’ recording was DI’d in the studio, and had his mids boosted on the desk to stand out in the track as he did (OK … maybe not boosted to quite the extent I did).

5 Likes