Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Is that a rule?

4 Likes

DAMN IT!!!

Is that a rule? @Bassbot fortune

4 Likes

:crystal_ball: Signs point to yes

3 Likes

Thanks for the words of encouragement @terb!!

For those who may be a bit apprehensive about putting together and posting a cover, the hardest part is posting your first one. Once the first one is behind you, it just gets easier AND, after a while you will notice that you have gotten better.

Although practice, practice, practice is the key to becoming skillful, playing in front of others simply uses that level of skill to open the door to experience.

Although creating covers isn’t actually playing “live” in front of an audience, it does open ones self up to the possibility of praise/criticism. The best part of posting covers here on the BassBuzz forum is that both praise and criticism are “constructive” which does help strengthen and refine our bass playing abilities and techniques which in turn does help to make us better Badass Bassists!

Keep on Thumpin’!

5 Likes

Yeah, recording and posting a cover is a great way to learn a ton of things, and to go one step further in your musician’s journey ; all this while having a lot of fun. Don’t be shy, bassbuzzers !

as said by others, there is no rule : as long as you post a cover you are totally free to do what you want :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve been thwarted in my attempt to post a cover this evening: Garageband is playing sill games and Audacity is doing something I can’t figure out (see new thread Audacity software: chat & support ).

1 Like

Grrrr. Soundcloud doesn’t seem to like any of the songs I upload - that’s the 4th that has been deleted due to copyright issues. I have half a cover of “Another Brick In The Wall” sitting on my computer, but I suppose I can take this delay as a sign I should finish recording first. What a great song for a beginner: there’s enough in it to sound like you know what you’re doing, but it’s simple enough that it doesn’t take much learning. Maybe tomorrow…

2 Likes

I hear ya @PeteP… This is exactly why I gave up posting to SoundCloud a long time ago - they kept refusing to upload my music for the exact same ‘copyright’ reasons. Now I just upload to the servers that host my websites and all is good… I believe that @terb does the same thing with his music. Do you have access to any online servers?

“Another Brick In The Wall” would make for a great cover! Then again, pretty much anything by Pink Floyd (and Roger Waters) gets my blood to pumpin’! Good Luck!! Can’t wait to hear the cover!

Keep on Thumpin’!

4 Likes

in fact not exactly : I don’t use SoundCloud but, as I do my covers in video format, when I record a cover I upload it to Youtube at first. very often, the video is flagged by Youtube but not blocked ; this means I can’t claim any money for the video (and I guess the label can) but the video is still available on Youtube like any other video. in this case it is OK for me, I don’t care as my channel is not monetized and this is obviously not the purpose of those videos. Then I embed the Youtube player in my website.
Another case is that the video can be totally blocked by Youtube, that’s what happened with my AC/DC cover. in this case I upload the video directly on my website, so it’s not visible on Youtube but it appears on my site like any other cover. that’s in fact this feature that decided me to create this site : the videos can be flagged or not by Youtube, in any case I will be able to add it to my other covers. and in any case the video is hosted somewhere and I can share it here.

1 Like

What I believe they can do is claim ownership of the whole content, including your playing, and monetise it however they want.

I don’t understand with Soundcloud because my file was set as private. I don’t get how there can be an issue with copyright as it’s very little difference to me playing a record at home.

1 Like

@terb - Mine are always ‘blocked’ on YouTube. I guess YouTube figures that I’m kind of an A-hole anyway since I’ve been somewhat ‘Sarcastic and Colorful’ with my former uploads in the past…:rofl::rofl: Maybe there’s a work around I could use, but I’m not that concerned about it since I don’t really care if any of my stuff is available to the YouTube public anyways - besides, I’m just an old retired dude who only posts this stuff to my personal website so that my kids and teenage/young adult grandkids can get a good chuckle and realize that their gramps is kind of a non-conformist one of a kind shitbird and not afraid of making a bad ‘ass’ outta himself and have fun doing it…:grin::grin:

Damn, I’m lovin’ this new pacemaker!!

Keep on Thumpin’, Humpin’, and Kickin’ Ass!!:rofl::joy:

2 Likes

You’re a frickin cyborg now! :+1:

2 Likes

:joy:

I think your videos are more blocked than mine because of the songs you cover ! who knows Sleuthfoot, Brassy, Amyl & the Sniffers … ? … I think those bands are not enough popular to make really big money, so the labels don’t care much and they prefer focusing their copyright-shit-thing on old classic bands like the one you cover (and AC/DC, in my case !)

just my guess !

Personnally I’m not much concerned about the Youtube views but I find that if someone want to see a cover of a song he/she likes, it’s cool to allow him/her to find it. that’s the only reason for still using Youtube when possible. for example, the Sleuthfoot cover that I released 5 days ago has 150 views right now : it’s not a big audience of course but still 150 people who are interrested … So, when it’s possible, I keep the covers on Youtube for those people.

anyway having our own website is certainly a very good option ! and my idea is that, if someday Youtube blocks more of my covers, I just can replace the Youtube version by a direct upload on my site, I won’t even have to change the page itself, only the video source will be changed. it would be very easy and I keep all my files if this case should happen !

4 Likes

Spot on @terb!! Exactly what I believe… Kind of sad though since all any of us wanna do is learn to play the music, and what better way than to play with the actual artists.

Most certainly!! I couldn’t agree more!!

3 Likes

Hahaha - Yup!! Just about got my first cover for 2020 ready to record. Working on a James Jamerson song by the Four Tops… Killer riffs and if you thought “Billie Jean” was a ‘finger flyer’,… this one is totally kick ass off the chart!! Hoping to have it ready to upload by the weekend?? (depends on the ‘fun’ factor)…

1 Like

Yeah soundcloud had blocked my cover less than five seconds after I uploaded it. I’m going to add some web storage to my domain but I’ve been too lazy (doing stuff like that feels like work to me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not sure whether I shouldn’t have posted this rather to the “A little music related fun” thread, but, hey, it’s a kind of cover and, anyway, it’s the first in 2020 :grin:

I give you “A stamp-sized portrait of T” (of course, if you don’t know the original I am alluding to, the joke is kinda lost… oh, well…)

4 Likes

haha I like this flash-cover :star_struck: it’s a perfect intro for the new season !

4 Likes

We could have a sub-thread with “flash-covers” :grin:

3 Likes

What a great way to “ring” in a new year of covers @joergkutter!!

2 Likes