Post your covers! (2019-2022)

nice cover @Noisembryo ! what a weird bass line :slight_smile: I understand it catched your ear and attention ! I guess it may have been really instructive to learn and play.

5 Likes

Sounded good @Noisembryo! Not familiar with the song, but that was an interesting bass line.
:+1:

5 Likes

It was really though transcribing this song since bass was not really audible in some places due to instrument density. I had to spend a lot of time on this to the point where I started “hearing” notes that aren’t even there. So I learned my lesson here to take frequent breaks to rest my ears.

Another thing I keep forgetting is that most of the songs from this time period where improvised in the studio during recordings. I listened to lots of live takes and besides the main hook rest of the bass line is really different from studio version.

I have no idea how many times I had to re-record this because I kept screwing up due to song having octaves, triads and arpeggios that are repeated only once throughout whole song…seriously, only the main hook you hear in the beginning is being repeated.

I was really at the edge with this one and was considering just improvising half of the song but perfectionist in me wants to play them exactly as they were recorded. Sometimes I really hate myself because of that but whatever…I really like the song and bass line so it was time well spent.

8 Likes

Nice cover @Noisembryo,
an oldie but a goodie :sunglasses:
good mix and tone,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Nice cover @Noisembryo I remember T-Rex but not familiar with this song. You did a nice job with it.

6 Likes

if you want to see me slap, this is your first and maybe your last chance !

Duck Tales theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x-L04T8mPw

When I was a kid, I was a big fan of Duck Tales. I like especially the video game on NES (and I still can finish this game one-credit one-life, even when I’m drunk), and I always liked this theme song. So, I guess it was the good day to give it a try as a cover …

I have very low experience with slap, actually not much more than the module on the B2B course. Also I must say that I have a very low interest in all the slap-thing, in general. Slap just has nothing to do with the musical styles I’m in. Slap with sludgecore ? nope. Slap with dark country ? double-nope. So, this song has been really challenging for me, as I was far from my comfort zone, and playing with this technique took some time.
That said, I think that it’s always a good thing to know different techniques, to bring a wider expression panel to our bass playing ; so those hours of work are not lost nor useless.

The SBV works well with slap, and the scooped-but-warm tone with the two pickups in parallel works fine for this. Also I used the DOD FX84 compressor, in front of the Bass POD Pro set on the Ampeg SVT model. probably not the ideal amp for slap, even if I like this bass tone, but I’m very used to it and I like to have some kind of consistency between the various bass tones I use (which are in fact variations around the very same base tone).

I tuned the SBV to Eb-Std, even if the song is in E. it might seems strange and counter-intuitive, but the reason is that I much prefer the fingering in Eb, as it allows me a more natural muting. I could never encourage too much to try alternate tunings.

27 Likes

hah! Very nice.

7 Likes

@terb, I’m looking to make slap one of the big parts of my game, as funk and r&b are big genres for me. I wanted to take a minute to say I’ve seen several of your videos this week, and haven’t commented, but I have found your playing to be impressive and inspirational to someone trying to “get there.” Great job.

8 Likes

thank you very much @booker_t and @howard :grin:

3 Likes

Now I am wondering what slap would sound like in some serious drop-A driving sludge bassline.

4 Likes

The slap technique and the song go well together. Very nice and precise playing. :+1:

5 Likes

That was a fun cover to listen to. Great job!
We need more TV show covers just for fun.

5 Likes

Very cool, Laurent @terb . . . :sunglasses:

Great work! . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Very nice @terb. I’m not a fan of slapping, but you did well at it.

6 Likes

Nice one, I can imagine slap with sludgecore.

5 Likes

This should be THE song used to teach slap! awesome

5 Likes

I’m sure there are a lot of easier songs to learn slap :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That was really well put together! You seem pretty comfortable slapping @terb

3 Likes

Very nice Laurent @terb,
Love the sound and for your first slap cover you did an awesome job, great tone and production,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Here’s another rough-as-sandpaper Drums + Bass cover video.

This time with three songs:

• Ever Fallen in Love (The Buzzcocks) - Punk;
  • All My Loving (The Beatles) - Pop;
  • Burning Beard (Clutch) - Hard Rock.

So, something for all the family. Maybe.

Drums recorded in one take (a few niggly errors, but nothing massive, so I left it ‘as-is’). The bass was also going to be in one take, but my playing wasn’t quite up to it.

Gear: Serek Midwestern 2 short-scale used on first two songs; Warwick Streamer LX on the last song (as it needed a drop tuning and the shorty was too muddy); Crush drums, Meinl cymbals; Audix mics, ART Tubeopto 8 preamps; RME Fireface UC and Reaper plus a couple of plugins.

Had to use Vimeo for the first time ever because YT would not allow the middle song to go anywhere, and this rookie has no idea how to get HD output. The audio is fine tho’ (what else matters?)

Anyway, hope you enjoy.

17 Likes