Post your covers! (2019-2022)

@T_dub Thanks for the kind words Toby. Always good to hear from you. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Haha I loved the Ducktales theme too. This was fun. Loved it!

6 Likes

So now I’ve seen it all. A Sludgecore, Dark Country bassist slapping the bass to Duck Tales! :rofl: Awesome, I’m so glad I’m on this forum. I bobbed my head and everything. Good job!

You should do a sludgecore ducktales remake of this. Make it Sludgecore but make the Duck Tale elements be grindcore with random duck tales samples quick quacking into megaphones like an authority figurative Wawa run.

Probably something Brutal Slamming Death would do, but hey. A track taking a piss on itself is never a bad thing. Especially a really crusty duck tail being slow roasted by octaver pedals that never lived to tell us it’s duck tale so you had to delivered the story to us via your track man! shrugs I’d listen to it.

9 Likes

Yeah, this cover was awesome in some unique ways :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@terb - holy shit.
Excuse my french.
I hadn’t heard this since the last episode I watched after Grammar School… and I knew the whole thing.
You sound perfect on this.
Though it’s hard to hear anything through the intense sense memory and nostalgia!!

11 Likes

I haven’t posted a cover in over a month, so I am due!
This one includes a lot of firsts for me: My first cover with a pick; the first cover with the Zero Fret I installed about a month ago; my first cover of my idol Tina Weymouth; My first New Wave song; and of course, my first Talking Heads song.
I’ve included some fun-facts about Talking Heads, this song, and Tina Weymouth during the “C-R-A-Z-Y” outro, so if you can endure 3 and a half minutes of my bass playing, you’ll enjoy the psycho themed ending.
I used a great deal of open strings on this song, so that Zero Fret came in handy. @gcancella you had asked about it (zero fret) so here’s what it sounds like.

Played on the Hofner with LaBella flats.
Pedals used: Tube Screamer and Tech21 VTBass DI (also Reverb and POG Octaver during the crazy outro).

Psycho Killer - (pampurrs.com)

19 Likes

Very cleverly done, @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

One of my favorites and nicely played . . . gotta love your video and the scary looking backdrop, too!

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Thanks, did you stick through it for the extra scary outro?

6 Likes

Nice Job Pam! I can’t see your control panel, but assume you are using the standard Macca set up? Does Tina usually play this with a pick or were you going for a specific sound? Just curious, I’ve been using my hofner more for my R&B class to get closer to that sound. Always interested in other players thinking.

6 Likes

Yes indeed . . . you sure are creative, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Thanks @Sully. I think I’ve seen her play this with a pick, but also finger plucking. Mainly, I just want to get better at pick playing in general, which is why did it on this song.

What control panel?

5 Likes

On your hofner, it’s what they call all the white switches. Solo - On, Bass -On, Treble - Off is the McCartney settings.

4 Likes

Oh, okay I never heard it called that.

I keep mine set with Bass on, Treble off, and Solo on. I didn’t realize I was using the McCartney settings :smile_cat:

6 Likes

This was great @PamPurrs!
You are certainly very creative!
Is this your first Resolve video? If so did you find the process any easier than Adobe?

Did you ententionally decide to pick down to up vs. up to down? Just wondering as I haven’t tried it in that direction.

6 Likes

Yes this was my maiden voyage doing cover videos in Resolve. I did film an interview with Sara previously using three different cameras to test out the multicam function of Resolve. It’s not any easier or harder than Premier, it just took me some time to get acquainted with it. Most of it is just like Premier, just different controls and such.

If you watch closely, you’ll notice I went both ways, I just did what felt most comfortable and efficient.

4 Likes

Another great video Pam! I didn’t know you can get the Hofner to sound like that.
Excellent job!
:+1: :+1:

5 Likes

Thank you @JerryP

Yes, it’s an amazing bass!

4 Likes

Great job Pam,
I left comments on your web page,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thank you @TNKA36 Brian.

4 Likes

@PamPurrs Great job Pam! Tina W would surely approve!
Every video of yours I watch, I’m admiringly jealous of your always very relaxed fretting hand: fingers nicely close together, parallel to the frets, with micro-shifts to cover any distances (whereas I tend to stretch my hand, especially my pinky finger, like crazy). Well done and keep 'em coming!

6 Likes