Post your covers! (2019-2022)

that’s great @infra :+1: very nice tone and playing ! the compression is OK in my opinion, nothing too extreme (no pumping / breathing effect) and it gives a pretty fat and “grounded” presence to the bass line. I like it, at least in this context I find it works perfectly well.

Also it’s a good thing that your malware-thing-issue is solved ! :grin:

2 Likes

Nice work @Lanny!
How satisfying is that F-F#-G in that first prechorus??!

So good.

5 Likes

Thanks @Gio - A compliment from someone of your stature is certainly humbling. Thank You!

As for the F-F#-G notes at around bar #14, I loved it! Two bars later it’s only the F & G.

There are so many ways simple notes are used in this song that at first I thought it would be rather easy to learn to play. As I found out in time, Jamerson’s rhythmic style in this piece was so much more than simple notes. So many times I found myself wanting to repeat certain note patterns and when I did, the feeling of whole song changed even though the notes all fit. The pattern changes he used in the beginning of the song built up to the Interlude, then the note patterns changed again and built up to the Pre-Outro and Outro. The guy was a genius!

To me, this was a great song to learn to play. It tested my ability to really “lock in” and hear what was going on in the song so that I could become one with it and actually ‘feel’ myself sitting in that recording studio back in 1964. Way Cool!!!

3 Likes

Great job @infra! I loved the feeling that the tone expressed, and I do agree with @terb that the compression wasn’t too overly used.

2 Likes

I can’t ever stress this, experience this, encourage this, seek this enough. All the treasure that lives inside of learning a master bass line. There’s nothing more helpful/powerful/instructive/etc.

Glad you got to see all the magic in there!

6 Likes

Introducing Pluto Crevé, a french punk band based on the Reunion Island.

Pluto Crevé - Attaque et tue

Pluto Crevé plays in the punk crust/d-beat registry. The bass player happens to be a very good friend of mine, we met in high school et are still friends 20 years after. When I told him I wanted to cover this song from their first album, he was very excited and wrote a tab just for me. That’s cool and pretty comfortable :sunglasses:

The original bass line is played with an old BC Rich bass and a SansAmp preamp. This bass line is not very easy to play on light strings (Greenie is strung in 40/100), because the low D string (it’s drop-D) is very flubby near the 12th fret. I had to use a softer pick than usual to make the pick slide more easily. I modified some very small parts of the bass line to fit a bit more my playing style, but that’s very minor and I don’t think anyone could really notice, except of course my friend who created the original bass line.

Sound-wise it’s the first time I record with my “new” Bass POD Pro, I’m not very familiar with it yet. I used the BDI21 in front of the '74 Ampeg SVT-VR model with the '79 Ampeg 8x10 cab model. The BDI21 is set almost flat : the goal is only to add a pretty transparent overdrive but the tone shaping and character comes mainly from the POD. I still have a few hours to spend because the settings on such a preamp are really not simple : there are so much possibilites that it’s pretty quickly overhelming and we get easily lost between the different amps models and settings.

Also this time I didn’t use my beloved DOD FX84 compressor, I used the POD’s integrated compressor instead. It models a LA-2A tube studio compressor, which sounds pretty good. This thing has a fixed relatively low ratio (3.3:1) and it gives a nice warm punch in the midrange when set around 3 to 5. It’s not very transparent but that’s not a problem for me.

9 Likes

Bass tone sounds great, you can hear the BDI21 sound just a bit.

Also, I need to get an EHX t-shirt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I exhumed this old tshirt just to see if you would notice, @howard :joy:

3 Likes

Well, ever since @Gio’s comments about your sweater, we are actually paying more attention to your attire than your playing, I am sorry to say :joy::rofl:

5 Likes

I guess you’re right my dear friend : at the time I write this comment, your post about my attire has more “likes” than my cover :joy:

3 Likes

Damn @terb!! You tore that one up! You’re an ANIMAL!! Well done and very well played - you shredded it! It’s obvious that your former guitar training is paying off and shining through on your bass. Your high school friend should be very happy with what you have done with his song - even with the modifications (what ever they were).

4 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Fixed that (for now) :joy:

3 Likes

:rofl: We all dig your attire, and collection of music related shirts (and the guts to post video of yourself playing, you and @Lanny both!)

I’ll add my +1 to your cover, lol.

5 Likes

@Lanny Damn! Great job on My Girl! This is your best yet! Dude, you killed that!

2 Likes

@Infra Great sound quality and I really liked the level of the bass in the song. Pretty great for your first entry in this thread.

1 Like

@terb Dude, that was great. But all your videos are great. I’m running out of original complimentary things to say. :rofl:

I’m always looking forward to the next one.

3 Likes

That is why we only critique @terb’s wardrobe from now on :grin:

6 Likes

OK,… @terb - A while back I had mentioned that I was gonna build a “Gutbucket Bass” Damn thing cost me all of almost $30 to build!!

Oh, I did place a mic inside the bucket during the recording, and for anyone who thinks that they might be a little embarrassed to post a cover, this one should certainly ease your anxieties… Remember, it’s all about learning and having fun, right??..

“I am a Man of Constant Sorrow”

7 Likes

@Lanny has just won the Internet! :metal:

In all fairness, not just anybody could have done this. @Lanny had to have been using special tone woods.

I’m actually a little jealous. I wish I had done this. :+1:

2 Likes