Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great job on both renditions! I like both tones, but I think I like the Fender just a bit more. BTW, was that. Jew’s harp I heard in the mix?

4 Likes

Thanks @JerryP Jerry…. And yes, that was a jews harp in the background…. With no drums in the mix, it was the only thing I really had to lock into when playing the bass line…

4 Likes

@Lanny Lanny they both sounded great. I’m not one to differentiate one instrument from another, I just don’t have the ear for it. Too many incoming mortar rounds back in 68 & 69 I suppose.

5 Likes

:+1::+1::rofl::rofl:. Thanks @PamPurrs - Pam!! Know whatcha mean!!…

Also, working on Blackfoots “Train, Train” now since the group I’m working with is thinking about adding it to our cover list…. Ot sure which bass I’ll use, but it would work on the BEAD…. Guess we’ll see…

5 Likes

@Lanny
Great job on both, like the subject mater as well :upside_down_face:

My vote is for the Fender, but didn’t choose it for looks.
The BEAD was a bit muddy for me, I liked the clarity of the EAD with the flats more.

This is a great demonstration of the fact that the entire system matters, not just strings.
Lots of ways to play a song, just as long as you play it.

Great work again.

3 Likes

I’m sure you’ll put my cover of Train, Train to shame, shame @Lanny Lanny.
Would you like my transcription of it? It’s here if you want it. It’s in E minor and I used a lot of open E string on it, so the BEAD bass would definitely work.

3 Likes

I dunno @PamPurrs, he might just get hit hit by the train train, you managed to aviod it!

3 Likes

LOL @John_E

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E - John! Couldn’t agree more with this statement! When I play songs, I will use every one of my bass’s (well, pretty much) just to hear which one serves the song best… I do love playing that Seafoam Fender PJ though!!….

5 Likes

Ain’t no way I’ll put your’s to shame @PamPurrs - Pam!!:grinning::grinning:. Your cover of this song is one of my favorites and I’ve shared it with a lot of people…. From what I came up listening to the song, there are a ton of open E notes, and yes, I’m thinking that the BEAD may work well - guess I’ll just have to see how it all plays out.

The biggest thing I’ll be spending my time on with this song will be “trying” to re-establish my harmonica skills…… Been a LONG time since I blew harp!!

5 Likes

I’m sure with your musical talent you’ll be able to come close to emulating Shorty on the mouth harp. My question though: how are you going to quickly transition from the harmonica to the bass on the 16th measure when the bass comes in?

4 Likes

Great cover Bill @Lanny ,
IMO the yammie fits nicer in the mix, I love the looks of the fender over the yammie
The tonal differences are obviously due to the instruments and strings etc, but I think playing the yammie higher up the fretboard also impacted on the tone between the two basses.
Loved the lyrics being added to the Yammie cover.
I laughed my way through the song, it was very cool, like the fact the boys got to go on a great holiday without leaving the farm, but all good things come to an end​:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great job as always Lanny.
Both sound great, interesting song, you looked like you enjoyed playing it as well.

5 Likes

Recording a cover wouldn’t be a problem @PamPurrs - Pam…. But playing with the group will mean that there may be a few bars of bass-less music, or, maybe someone else can fill in during the transition…. I plan to have my harp hanging so that all I need to do in the opening section is play harp and then just drop it really quick to pick up the bass line…. There is however a harmonica solo where both the bass and harmonica are playing…… Not sure how we’ll deal with this one, but I’m sure we’ll figure something out….

4 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36 - Brian!! Yes, those deeptones from the Yammy are certainly mesmerizing!! Not one for looks and stage presence though but hell, who really gives a shit anyway??:rofl::rofl::+1:. I just wanted to show that an inexpensive bass can hold it’s own against a (way more) expensive one…:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I do lime playing certain songs higher up the fretboard and not using open strings since I can control the strings easier and, using that B string above the 5th fret allows me to do just that…

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. Thanks @T_dub - Toby!!:joy::joy:. Gotta remember that I’m an old Country Boy who did time in the Nam - @PamPurrs - Pam knows where I’m comin’ from here…:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

OK Gang,
A co-worker of mine mentioned this song to me, he said “This song has a good bass line. Why don’t you check it out?” I did and it’s not a difficult tune so I was able to pick it up quickly and I used it for working on the tone and playing around with compression. If you have any comments on the tone of this song, please let me know. By the way, it is a country song, so if you’re not into that, no worries.
Thanks everyone!

12 Likes

Holy crap @JerryP that tone is KILLER.

Terrific job again as usual.
Timing spot on man.

Shows just how impactful a simple bass line can be in a song and really make a song more impactful.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot @John_E !
True, it is a simple bass line and I wanted to get the tone right for after the bridge when it goes back to the “crying in my beer” feeling to the end of the tune.
Thanks again!

3 Likes

@JerryP that sounds really good! You played it well too. Awesome job.
No apologies necessary for the country tune, I like that genre just fine… in fact I like just about any genre in which there’s real music, and the lead is not screaming like he’s mad at me about something. :smiley_cat:

4 Likes