Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks Toby!
I’ll be in Hawaii after the 11th, so on the 12th I’ll be checking out the local music stores for a possible used bass that normally would be out of my price range but may be discounted for a fast sale. If I don’t find something like that, I have my eye on the Ibanez I had mentioned in a previous thread.

3 Likes

Cool cover @Old_WannaBe even though I don’t know the song….

Timing a bit off in a few places, bit I think that was probably due to trying to read music and play at the same time.

It’s great that you have a reference point from before you started the course. Will be interesting to see a final result comparison…:grinning::grinning:

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

So which bass are you playing?
I did not see it listed, did I just miss it?
I don’t recall seeing that one before. Have you done a cover with it before?

4 Likes

That is a bass I picked up from a website called Overstock dot com way back when I knew nothing about basses. It cost me $125.00 back then (2003). It’s a Lyon LB40 by Washburn but I recently had Seymour Duncan pickups, new pots, and D’Addario ECB81 Chrome Flats put on it. I’ve used it on quite a few covers, most recent was “The Gambler”. It just sounded right for this song.

4 Likes

I have seen those for sale from time to time, they look like just fine instruments.
Perfect first bass, nice to see you hold onto it and give it some new life👍🏻

4 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Ska Bass

So here’s my cover of Train Train by Blackfoot…. Although I know that @PamPurrs - Pam has already done this one, I decided to also do it since I love Southern Rock. Given the situation I’m in having to focus totally on the band, this will probably be the last cover I create and post…

I did not follow the original bass line since I wanted the bass to take front stage, and I also wanted to try to use fills that would give the song a bit more of a blues feeling and also try to emulate what I conceive a “Train Bassline” would sound and feel like. Enjoy!!

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

https://youtu.be/dZQVP6InoS4

15 Likes

Good job @Lanny Lanny, it sounds quite similar to mine. I can’t say it’s better but it doesn’t matter. Awesome job on an awesome southern rock song!
Did you use the bass score that I posted here?

6 Likes

You rock @Lanny ! Just, the bass seems a little bit “boomy”.

5 Likes

Thanks @wellbi - I did mix the bass heavy with a bit of presence for this one since I wanted the song to be a little more bass forward with the “booms” that would somewhat simulate a locomotive…. Playing this one live would be way different since I’s need to leave plenty of room for the other instruments to shine…

7 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs - Pam…. I did check out your bass score - Cool…. Mine is quite a bit different. I hit the same roots as your score, but I used quite a bit more fill riffs to transition between roots and give the song a bit of a locomotive essence…. What I was after was more of a bass forward presence…. I’d never play the song like this on stage unless it was to be presented this way…

Many of the covers that I have uploaded to BandMix are quite the same way so that other musicians can see and hear the basslines that I’m playing - Also why I never really stick to the actual cover bass line since it also helps to show a bit of personality that other musicians looking for a bass player can pick up on…

Anyway, it was a fun song to play - just wish I had time to learn to blow that harp like Shorty!:grinning::grinning:. No time for that now….

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes

GREAT JOB @Lanny
Lanny love your bass lines on this, and since I don’t know that song, I have no idea that yours or @PamPurrs is or isn’t original, either sure could be!

Glad you also did not get run over by the train train.

4 Likes

You rock Lanny! Great cover and great tone on the bass!
:+1:

4 Likes

Thanks @John_E - John…. The bass mentor that I worked with once I finished the B2B course always had that song listed as their opening song for their gigs…. Sets the stage and gets the energy level up…

4 Likes

Thanks @JerryP - Jerome…. I did the recording first thing this morning after breakfast. Wanted to do just one take - kinda like playing live. There were a couple spots where I wanted to throw in some back slides, but I’ve played the song differently every time…… all cool!!

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Great job Bill @Lanny ,
Love the tone from the fender, the video was pretty cool :+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Love Blackfoot.
Love Southern Rock.
And definitely love your cover @Lanny .
The bass sounds good to me and the bass line certainly fits well.
Good to hear your band life is taking off. Very cool. Your covers, however, will be sorely missed. They certainly inspired a good few people to take that first leap and give it a go

4 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36 - Brian!! That particular bass certainty puts out some good tones, and the Jazz neck on it makes it a lot easier to play than my Fender P…. Not as fast as my Ibanez SR500E, but for this song it worked well for what I was after…

2 Likes

Thanks @Mac…. I’ll certainly miss doing and posting them but at this point of my bass journey, it’s time to move forward and do what I always loved doing - playing with other musicians….

The last time I done that, I was playing guitar for a church worship team - eventually got beat out by younger guitar players…. Besides, playing on stage again was an item on my retirement “Bucket List” and being able to have that opportunity is something that puts a smile on my old wrinkled face!!:rofl::rofl:. Just so happens that I’ll just do it playing bass​:rofl::rofl:

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

@Lanny Um, ya know, you could always post practice videos. Just sayin’…

4 Likes