Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Two below E is 10Hz. Gotta love that it is so low that you can hear its subharmonic beat frequency.

2 Likes

Itā€™s too bad ā€œHEE HAWā€ is off the air, it would make a great audition video.
Great job @Lanny! I had fun watching it

5 Likes

Thanks everyone!! I did have a blast doing it all - including building that damn gut-bass. A few days ago when I told my wife that I was gonna build my own bass, her only question was: ā€œHow much is it gonna cost?ā€

I promised her that Iā€™d keep it all under about $500ā€¦ The way I see things now, I still got myself about $468 left in my ā€œBuild Myself A New Bassā€ fundā€¦ Somehow I donā€™t think my wife seeā€™s it the same way thoughā€¦

:rofl::rofl: - Actually I was going for a hit on that mason jar when I finished playingā€¦

Maybe if I ever do another ā€œGut-Bucketā€ bass cover, Iā€™ll put on my red ā€œUnion Suitā€ with the flap on the back and do just that! Not sure how the editors of the BassBuzz forum would take it thoughā€¦ I was however gonna put in my ā€œBilly-Bobā€ teeth, but when I got 'em out I laid them on the stand next to my couch and my damn dog got ahold of them and kinda gnawed 'em all upā€¦ Obviously he got himself a good 'ol fashion ass chewing from the inside out when I took him outside for his morning ritualā€¦

:flushed: Damn terbā€¦ I was just having myself some funā€¦ I really want more people to post covers on this thread because doing it (at least for me) has helped make me better at playing my bass. Also, it really helps to overcome any fear one may have about vulnerabilities. Having fun is key though!

It was no doubt that cool sweater that helped me decide to put on my ā€œbibsā€ for this one!!:joy:

Iā€™ve got some ideas for a fretless one string gut-bass and might be doing some upgrades that would probably take nothing more than a six foot long hunk of wood. Could still use the same string and bucket - just replace the staffā€¦

Great idea @PeteP! The front porch wearing my red union suit. Would be kinda like that one cover that @terb did outside at a chateau in France!..

:joy::joy: - Yea @JerryP ! That show was a hoot to watch! Not sure that my finger selection while plucking that 1/16" braided metal cord would be appreciated thoughā€¦:rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Yup, I kept meaning to get some al fresco photographs of my basses but then winter came along, but as is so often the case around here it just looks like summer on wetter and darker earlier, so not very dramatic.

Sorry but I keep getting sidetracked and delayed. Something will be forthcoming from me soon. I promise.

Because basically youā€™re right about it being a good way to overcome confidence and performance issues. Nobody in here is going to laugh - unless itā€™s meant to be amusing - and chances are youā€™ll inspire another beginner to have a go. And it is fun.

3 Likes

thatā€™s what itā€™s all about, yes :grin:

me too, but I believe we still have a pretty good start for 2020 ! I hope it will help the newcomers to post their own covers !

yeah it helps in a lot of manners. at this time Iā€™m working on a cover that happen to be a little bit disapointing to do, or at least not as satisfying than what I expected. (the result will be OK ; itā€™s really the ā€œcover processā€ that is not satisfying with this particular song / I like to listen to the song but I donā€™t like to play it). I asked myself several times if I should stop here and just choose another song (and this thing already happened a few times for one or two other songs), or continue and put this recording to an end. I decided I will go to the end with this one. I consider that in some way, the project of covering this songs made me overtake the disapointment. hard to say but itā€™s some kind of lesson.

3 Likes

I hope all the clothing nerds out there will appreciate my new beanie :joy:

So, here is some progressive rock/metal in Drop C# (C# G# C# F#) : thatā€™s a job for the Yamaha SBV !

Awooga - Temporal

For some reason this cover has been less fun to do, less satisfying than what I expected. I donā€™t know why really ā€¦ Iā€™m not the biggest prog metal fan for sure ā€¦ I think I like to listen to this kind of songs but I donā€™t like to play them. Itā€™s too ā€œcleanā€ for me, too polished and polite I believe.

Still cool to play in Drop C# anyway. I find this tunning to be a very interesting compromise. itā€™s something Iā€™ll try to keep in mind when Iā€™ll want to lauch a new band in the future (which will very probably be some kind of sludgecore / post-hardcore), it would be possible to choose Drop C# as a standard tunning. Also itā€™s an excuse to play the Yamā€™ for a change, as Greenie is not playable lower than Drop D with its current strings and setting.

Sound-wise itā€™s the BDI21 in front of the Bass POD Pro (mod. '74 Ampeg SVT-VR + '79 Ampeg 8x10). Iā€™m still fine-tuning everything but Iā€™m quite happy with the tone I get already.

ā€¦ and you know what ? thatā€™s the 10th cover of 2020 already ! keep on covering guys !!! :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Tone sounds great. Sounds like it has some kind of light modulation on top of the distortion too! Kind of a cool resonant effect on the distortion. Might be the cab sim?

there is absolutly no effect (except compression) and Iā€™m not sure there is a resonnance on the bass tone itself, maybe with something else in the mix. there is a phaser or something on the guitar track, maybe it fades/blurs a bit with the bass track.

2 Likes

Did seem a bit ā€œcleanā€ for your style @terb, but very well done none the less. Do love the tones youā€™re getting from the tuning as well as the SBV.

Since Iā€™m not one for playing my bass with a pick ( although I do enjoy the tonal attack), is there a certain gauge pick that you prefer to use on different music genres, styles, and string gauges? Just curiousā€¦

3 Likes

thatā€™s a big topic indeed. I mostly use a Dunlop Ultex 1.14 which is quite stiff, it works well for solid attacks and general use. but when I need to play really fast like on the Pluto CrevĆ© cover, I use a softer pick (0.71) because it avoids getting stuck in the string. I probably donā€™t choose the best words to explain that phenomenon :sweat_smile:

about string gauge its also a difficult subject because as I always change from one tuning to another, the string tension changes greatly. the SBV is strung in 45/105 and Greenie is in 40/100. in Drop C# (like on this Awooga song) the 105 string has a low tension.

Conclusion : I need a bass with a 110 low string ! :grin:

Iā€™d say that if I need to play fast I prefer a high tension string and a soft pick, and otherwise I prefer a moderate tension and a stiff pick.

3 Likes

Or you need a bass with a .135 low B string :slight_smile:

2 Likes

work in progress :kissing_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Great sound, @terb . . . really nice! :+1:

:slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

edit: kind of reminds me of ā€œBullet the Blue Skyā€ by U2 . . . :metal:

2 Likes

I like the beanie! Of course, I use them a bit to disguise a receding hairline, and some graying hair when Iā€™m playing with a younger crowd, lol :rofl: And because itā€™s just cold out a lot of the time here.

Great cover btw!

4 Likes

Wait, what beanie??? I must have missed this, as I was only and intently listening to the bassā€¦ of, course! As we all shouldā€¦ :joy:

4 Likes

Nice job @terb!

3 Likes

@Lanny The overalls and shine did it for meā€¦very authentic :rofl:

Awesomeā€¦seriouslyā€¦so adventurous.

3 Likes

Nicely done on the Awooga cover @terb!

Very 90ā€™s Tool sounding IMHOā€¦

And your kitty sold itā€¦ got behind you and settled in for some deep crunching nap time!

2 Likes

@terb Great work, as usual. Also, that beanie works for you and serves the song well.

2 Likes

@Lanny The My Girl cover sounds so totally locked-in, you nailed it!

Also I find the thing about the variations and how they fit the lyrics really fascinating, I love learning about little details and techniques like that, which I never knew existed.

And the bucket bassā€¦ just wowā€¦ :astonished:
Trouble is now youā€™ve got me wanting to make a cigar-box guitar or something. Lucky I donā€™t have a cigar-box!

3 Likes