Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Very nice, @Lanny - great allround production!! :smile:

I am so busy right now, I am lucky to pick up the bass for some noodling… all the while I am owing a cover to @terb :grimacing:

2 Likes

Great cover and video as usual, @Lanny . . . :+1:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll be working on it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @eric.kiser! To me, learning to play the song is only a part of the fun… Learning the background stories is another part… Using it all in a way that only makes for more memories is by far the best fun of it all…

Actually, this particular project started out as a Sunday morning ‘Challenge’… Knowing that homemade Arancini is one of my favorite meals, Connie told me that she’d only make it if I were to record (audio, not video) the bass line to that song and have it ready to listen to over dinner… You’ll notice that there are a few mistakes in the recording and that’s because after learning the song and practicing it several times, I only had enough time to do one take to record it. Needless to say, the arancini was great!

3 Likes

Thanks @JT! That song is one that will always live on!! Timeless… I believe it’s one of those songs that brings back memories for many of us… As for Valentines day,… after being together for 45 years, every day is ‘Valentines Day’… Yea, I know it sounds a bit epicene, but I’ve never known anyone to call me that to my face…:rofl::joy:

2 Likes

Doomriders - Bad Vibes

(I don’t know who did the synch between the audio and the video, but it’s pretty bad :sweat_smile: sorry for that)

I really love Doomriders. this band represents a good mix between a lot of musical elements and influences I like. Doomriders is one of the Nate Newton’s bands, where he sings and plays the guitar. Nate Newton also played with Jesuit, and Old Man Gloom with Caleb Scofield.

but he is also the bass player of Converge, and he has its place in the very exclusive Green Precision Bass Club :

4 Likes

Wow not sure if you planned it (of course you did) but that t-shirt is perfect for that song :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @JerryP! Please don’t be shy, fearful, (or embarrassed) to post any song you are working on… The first one is always the hardest - it gets easier over time, and is really fun and educational to do. If you have ANY questions on how to record or produce a song cover, just ask…

A few of my grandkids wanted to know how I do it so I put together a few short (very simple) step by step presentations in PDF format for them. I still have to put something together on how I make the video portions, but I haven’t gotten around to that part yet…

3 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter! Looking forward to that cover!!

3 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19 Joe! I am starting to ‘chomp at the bits’ on wanting to get outside and do a little work on the property though… In time…

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @terb!.. Great cover, and Nate Newton is a legend in this genre… The Doomriders sound does have a lot of musical elements from as early as the 60’s such as… Thin Lizzy, The Stooges, Motorheads… and many more… Again, great cover!

2 Likes

thanks @Lanny !

yes and that’s even more true if you listen to their first album (Black Thunder) !

(the song of my cover is from their last album, Grand Blood)

3 Likes

Great cover @terb.

2 Likes

Great cover as always @Lanny! Damn my dad and you would have a blast playing together. Your taste in music parallel’s his!

3 Likes

Could it be our age??:thinking:… Actually, my next one might surprise you… A bit off the Motown Soul Train and onto a little rock…

2 Likes

The weather was so nice today, it was hard to resist doing an outdoor cover ! So, some skate punk today :

Adolescents - Creatures

This song is very easy to play and was a convenient choice for doing some tests with my “new” 18-yr old Bass POD XT ! Ampeg SVT-VR + Ampeg 8x10 models, nothing fancy except some tweaks around the virtual pickup choice, placement, and virtual room (what Line6 calls their A.I.R. technology). I also used the BDI21 in front of the POD for more gain and for this agressive GK-ish edge I like (relatively subtle here), but the Bass POD XT can provide some pretty bright attacks by itself if needed.

About the song and the band : back in the very begining of the 80’s, more or less at the time of my first tooth, Adolescents was one of those few bands in California who pretty much invented the skate-punk sub-genre. I’ve seen Adolescents playing live a few years ago. They played with the same energy than what you can ear on their first record, it was pretty impressive. The song I’m covering is one of my favorites on their very first album, released in 1981.

Steve Soto was a founding member and the bass player of Adolescents, and he was also a major figure of the punk-rock scene in California. He died in 2018, at the age of 54.

Rest in punk, Steve !

10 Likes

Excellent! . . . :+1:

2 Likes

Is the X in the Tab an Open?

It usually indicates a muted note, i.e., picked/plucked while you mute that string (with your palm of your plucking hand, or one or more fingers of your fretting hand).

2 Likes

Thank you. Learning every day (I’m on Day 5 of being a bass player :rofl::rofl:)

2 Likes