Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks for sharing this @terb!.. Great cover, and Nate Newton is a legend in this genre… The Doomriders sound does have a lot of musical elements from as early as the 60’s such as… Thin Lizzy, The Stooges, Motorheads… and many more… Again, great cover!

2 Likes

thanks @Lanny !

yes and that’s even more true if you listen to their first album (Black Thunder) !

(the song of my cover is from their last album, Grand Blood)

3 Likes

Great cover @terb.

2 Likes

Great cover as always @Lanny! Damn my dad and you would have a blast playing together. Your taste in music parallel’s his!

3 Likes

Could it be our age??:thinking:… Actually, my next one might surprise you… A bit off the Motown Soul Train and onto a little rock…

2 Likes

The weather was so nice today, it was hard to resist doing an outdoor cover ! So, some skate punk today :

Adolescents - Creatures

This song is very easy to play and was a convenient choice for doing some tests with my “new” 18-yr old Bass POD XT ! Ampeg SVT-VR + Ampeg 8x10 models, nothing fancy except some tweaks around the virtual pickup choice, placement, and virtual room (what Line6 calls their A.I.R. technology). I also used the BDI21 in front of the POD for more gain and for this agressive GK-ish edge I like (relatively subtle here), but the Bass POD XT can provide some pretty bright attacks by itself if needed.

About the song and the band : back in the very begining of the 80’s, more or less at the time of my first tooth, Adolescents was one of those few bands in California who pretty much invented the skate-punk sub-genre. I’ve seen Adolescents playing live a few years ago. They played with the same energy than what you can ear on their first record, it was pretty impressive. The song I’m covering is one of my favorites on their very first album, released in 1981.

Steve Soto was a founding member and the bass player of Adolescents, and he was also a major figure of the punk-rock scene in California. He died in 2018, at the age of 54.

Rest in punk, Steve !

10 Likes

Excellent! . . . :+1:

2 Likes

Is the X in the Tab an Open?

It usually indicates a muted note, i.e., picked/plucked while you mute that string (with your palm of your plucking hand, or one or more fingers of your fretting hand).

2 Likes

Thank you. Learning every day (I’m on Day 5 of being a bass player :rofl::rofl:)

2 Likes

@terb, you and @Lanny are just cranking them out - awesome! The rest of us can still make out your taillights (but just barely) and the dust your racing cars are blowing up, while we are still trying to get the key into the ignition :crazy_face: :joy:

4 Likes
  • but it’s not a race :grin:
  • we all had to do something with the key and the ignition at one time … that’s perfectly fine, nobody’s judging anything but the effort to go out your comfort zone and get better ! DO IT ! I’ll always have an infinite respect for a beginner who will post a cover that he/she will consider as shitty. the intention counts way more than the result. this is by NO MEAN a “performance” thread. we are bass players, we do covers, we record those things, we share them, we get congratulations/advices. that’s it.
  • @Lanny is like me, a not-so-new musician … keep that in mind !
  • I realize I said this song is very easy to play. that’s very true : since the beginning of the Great Bass Buzz Cover Era, it has been for me the easiest song to play (with Gacked On Anger by Amyl & the Sniffers and Disgrace by Boss Hog maybe … hard to say) but that’s because I’m very very very comfortable with a pick. I know I’m not the “standard bass player” on this point. for a non-pick bass player this kind of bass line might be a nightmare, I honestly don’t know.

'might start a thread about pick playing because, well, someone will have to do this at some point … and at this time I feel it could only be me … :scream: well at least if someone is interrested because it’s not “standard” bass playing. also it’s not what Josh teaches.

3 Likes

Great job!

3 Likes

I can almost smell the pine trees :slight_smile:

Great looking bass, and great cover :+1:

3 Likes

Another GREAT cove my friend… Love that you were able to get outdoors and enjoy a little sunshine… One;y question… Where’s the “Straw Hat”?..:slightly_smiling_face::smile:

I AM loving the tones, and your use of the pick on bass is something that I wish I could bo better, but I find that my finger style is more suitable (and something I’m a bit more use to) for me - but the attack and tones you get from the pick for your style really pay tribute to the piece.

3 Likes

Wait seriously it’s polo shirt weather in France right now? It was 1C here yesterday, up to a balmy 10C now :slight_smile:

1 Like

the temperature changes greatly from one day to another. yesterday when I was recording, it was more than 20°C ! today it’s about 10°C (still very warm for february !). the weather is crazy. hard to pretend there is no global warming …

2 Likes

Yep, no snow this winter here. Summer’s gonna be hell this year. Just in time for the Olympics :slight_smile:

Seriously it will likely be 40C and 99% humidity here during the Olympics. That’s gonna suck.

2 Likes

And I thought Norfolk, Virginia was hot and humid . . . :astonished:

2 Likes

Well, here goes nothing…I finished the course a few weeks ago and have been trying to hone the little skill I have. Look forward to hearing your comments. I only recorded the first part of the song since it is over 7 minutes long. Don’t have the tech to remove the bass part…
Father’s Song video

9 Likes