Post your covers! (2019-2022)

That it is… and you are ahead of most of us here when it comes to transcribing and covering :smile:

4 Likes

Yet “Way Behind” when it comes to “Music Theory” and “Gear” @joergkutter:neutral_face::neutral_face:

What really puts a smile on my face though,… is when I finish the cover and then actually listen to the finished product side by side to the original version… Just being able to emulate (what I hear) as being just the ‘right’ tones with notes fretted where I believe those specific tones live on my bass fretboard is most satisfying… Again,… why I personally don’t like using online tabs… but then again, if those tabs are all a person has to go by and use to be able to play their bass, then by all means use them!! It’s all about playing and making music while enjoying the experience!

Keep on Thumpin’!

6 Likes

that’s a great exercise you chose to do, @Lanny. I very often have to transcribe the songs I cover, as many of the bands I listen to are not popular enough to have been tabbed on the net :sweat_smile: but in my case I usually don’t try to sound like the record ; here it’s a personnal/artistic choice and both options are pretty interesting in my opinion.

and as you say @Lanny, transcribing is not mandatory at all : if some of you want to record a cover based on tabs founds on the net, it’s perfectly fine :grin:

5 Likes

I remember that show. Corny as all hell, but lots of fun.

1 Like

Follow the bouncing ball… Where “Karaoke” actually first started…

1 Like

Only been playing a month, there are a fair share of mistakes. I’m pretty close, but who knows how long it will take to get a good cut, so I’m posting now. Be kind, but honest, for a month, how am I doing?

8 Likes

that’s pretty cool ! sure there are mistakes, but nothing very surprising after one month of playing. I’d say the more difficult might be to catch the right rythmic placement, which is not easy. it requires some time, but you’re on the right road.

anyway you will get better and I prefer having a focus on what is more important in my opinion than the final result :

• you played a full song, which is a very good thing already. compared to the short lessons on the B2B course for example, it’s a totally different exercise. way more challenging overall. you did pretty well !
  • you recorded a cover and posted it ! which is really really cool. really a very good way to learn a ton on different aspects of playing and recording

and talking about the result, I’d say that I’m impressed by the tone you get with your phone. of course it’s not the best studio tone ever, but we can hear everything very clearly and that’s what matters !

well done dude ! :v::sunglasses:

7 Likes

Thanks Terb. I wanted to get a perfect cut, but after take #50 things were getting dicey :rofl:. I could see my inconsistencies in the rhythm and then I notice and either slow down or speed up. I also need to be more consistent in my pluck. The big thing for me in those chugging parts is I start to hit my pickup and I need to fix that.

3 Likes

@jazmo1999 - For only one month, you’re nailing it! Everything that @terb mentioned above… Timing and fingering will come in time. Just being able to record a full song and post it like you did is totally Badass!! I’ll be willing to bet that You could nail that song hands down timing wise if you knew you weren’t recording… Sometimes (at least for me) when I know that I’m recording, I focus a bit too much on hitting the notes instead of focusing on the music being played… Locking into the groove is the key to creating the perfect tone at exactly the right time… I can only imagine how good you’re gonna be in another month!

Keep recording… It’s a great way to watch and hear yourself… You will always be your worst critic, and seeing and hearing what you do, and sharing that with others really helps to make yourself better. Keep it up, and remember to… Keep on Thumpin’!

6 Likes

Great job! Just posting a cover to a whole song a month into it is awesome - and ditto to what’s been said above.

4 Likes

@jazmo1999 What @terb and @Lanny said was spot on.

Man, for one month, that was pretty great. Doing a whole song while filming and still getting your body bobbing along and getting into it, that’s really good.

I feel like I blinked and now I’m over a hundred posts behind on this thread.

4 Likes

Great job @jazmo1999! Keep up the great work!
Jerry

5 Likes

That was really good for just a month in, man.

5 Likes

Hey guys, I want to say thank you for all the support. A little terrifying to post that and no way I would have done it on my FB page or something public. But I knew you guys would be supportive. I’m working hard now and listening to the drum beat and the band and that is helping to slow me down and keep me in the groove more. Sounds crazy but one day later and I already feel like I’m doing much better. One thing I’m having an issue with. I practice it with the VOX headphone amp and the music put through that as well. Through that I get a great springy tone to my bass that fits the song better, but when I go to my amp I feel like the strings are concrete. I can’t get that light springy sound. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I can’t seem to play it as lively or playful as I can through the VOX.

5 Likes

Might just need a little EQ adjustment on the amp?

1 Like

I understand that … but the feeling of having done something terrifying is pretty good, right ? :sunglasses:

about the tone, it might just be because when you play with your amp you don’t wear headphones and so you hear much louder the acoustic sound coming from the bass. and it’s mostly the raw metallic attack sound and the scraping noise when you move your fingers on the strings.

but @howard is right too and in any case it’s worth trying to correct/change the tone with the EQ : those things are here precisely for this purpose :grin:

… or you might just like better the tone of your little Vox thing overall, at some point it’s a matter of taste and that’s perfectly fine. I would be curious to try to do a proper studio record with one of those little headphone amps, I’m almost sure it’s possible to get a pretty nice tone.

3 Likes

The first one is the hardest :grin:Chapeau for taking the plunge… playing covers and recording yourself is a good training, a humbling experience, and a good way to get feedback!

3 Likes

speaking about that, don’t you remember you have a cover to record on video, @joergkutter ?

:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ah, dang, your memory is too good, @terb :joy:

I haven’t had much focus on that… still not decided on what I would cover… and still haven’t successfully EQ’ed the bass out of an existing recording… and… need to focus on our studio session…

Uhm, yes, excuses :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I guess the studio session will be a good training for your upcoming cover :grin:

1 Like