Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Hey @Jack667 - great tune, and well done.
Nice walking lines too.
DId you make them up?

I notice two things to think about.

• You seem to be rushing the beat a bit. The beat should be nice and laid back on this. Your walking lines seem to lay back pretty darn well, but some of the basic lines are ahead of the beat a bit.
  • I hear a note or two in there either off tune or out of place. The more I listen the more it sounds like one of the strings is a bit out of tune.

Great song choice and very good effort indeed!
Very original!
Keep them coming man…

3 Likes

Yeah - could be the tuning. I haven’t tuned up in a few days.
The timing could be absolutely wrong on my part and I acknowledge that I have tons of room to grow.
For this song and the method I used, I’m surprised it sounds so good. The synth drum thing is one track on GarageBand and I did my best to sync the Moises track to that. If the band’s version deviated on time at all, it would be out of sync with that drum track. To top it off, even though the video and my bass track were recorded simultaneously, the audio and video seem to drift, especially noticeable at the end.
When I was playing through it for the video, I had the bass line, Moises band track (sans drums and bass) and the synth drum track coming through an amp, and the iPad recorded that sound along with my wife clanking dishes and all that. I deleted the audio from the iPad video and just used the bass track from my digital interface.
Probably more there than anyone wants to know, but again, I’m surprised it sounds and looks as good as it does! :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s sounded great despite all that!
I did notice the video drift a bit. No biggie.

4 Likes

Good job @Jack667 ! Great song choice, one of my favorites.
:+1:

3 Likes

Nice job @Jack667 ,
Nothing to add to comments already made by others, but for the syncing of your audio and video in iMovie.
I use GB and photo booth and mix in iMovie also, it takes a bit of time to get it right.
Head over to @Lanny , Bill has a tutorial on how to get all that stuff sorted👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

We posted @Griffs tutorial in the Pam &John’s record yourself thread in the first post along with the two part course @Jack667

3 Likes

That’s a helpful ppt guide for beginners. I just went through the whole thing and I honestly think I’m advanced beyond all that. Using a DAW instead of Moises is something I might try but it doesn’t help this situation. Thx for the pointer to it

I’ll check out @Lanny. Maybe there’s something there to help. Conceptually, my process is already flawed if there’s a band drift which takes things out of sync with the synth drum track from my instructor. My homework from him is to record my bass line over that drum track, which is a separate effort that has worked out well. The idea of overlaying the band’s vocals and guitar is mine, and it’s certainly sketchy. Recoding video and syncing it just adds to complexity.

3 Likes

Thanks John @John_E ,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

The Cars were great; Ben Orr was way underrated. Really made the group.

4 Likes

What the heck is a resting bass face?

Thank you for the recording information. :+1:

3 Likes

A “resting bass face” is me making a play on words of “resting bitch face.” Resting bitch face is described as: “a facial expression that unintentionally appears like a person is angry, annoyed, irritated, or contemptuous, particularly when the individual is relaxed, resting, or not expressing any particular emotion. The concept has been studied by psychologists and may have psychological implications related to facial biases, gender stereotypes, human judgement and decision-making. Using a type of facial recognition system, they found that the phenomenon is real and the condition is as common in males as in females, despite the gendered word bitch that is used to name the concept.”

Visually, it can appear like this example:

8 Likes

Awesome @JerryP! Great playing, tone and style. This video is a candidate for 2022 ‘Cover-Oscar’

3 Likes

Thanks very much @thomas !

3 Likes

Do you look back fondly at the 90s? Are you maybe a Lenny Kravitz fan? If so then probably best not to watch me mangling Are you gonna go my way - the song that set student union dancefloors alight back in 1993! I’d been meaning to try this since it first came out but got… erm… sidetracked a little.

Anyway! I decided to use the Hofner for the 90s retro 60s feel. No effects or cab sims, just straight into the interface. Both pickups at around 70%.

I actually improvised the solo. It wasn’t too difficult - there’s eight repeats of a 4-note riff on the 5th- 7th frets followed by 3 three-note walkups, ending on the D. I more or less pulled it off but fudged the ending.

Oh this was my first go at using Moises- it worked really well so 5 out of 5 thumbs up!

Good fun to play though. It brought back all those carefree evenings drinking snakebite and black at the Friday night disco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlqcS9RhgKo

11 Likes

Hey @WillieD that’s pretty damn good for 3.5 weeks! You’re really keeping the groove well and the bass is pumping out (oh I bet your neighbours love you :wink: ).

Nice bass too. Stingray?

Thank you for the explanation. Interesting.

2 Likes

Whidbey Island is in my neck of the woods. Enjoy our beautiful spring weather

1 Like

It’s a trap!

1 Like

Nice tune @Ed
Although I love a Hofner, wasn’t digging it on this tune tone wise except for the higher end stuff. Hofner’s low E string stuff is soo soo boomy.
Felt like your timing was off at the beginning but settled in very nicely along the way.
Super nice finger work on the ‘solo’ section.

Did you try this one on the Rick?

2 Likes

BRAVO @kristine !! Nice with the outdoor videoing idea. Great sound too.

3 Likes