Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Thanks @kristine ! Be sure to tune in next week when I’ll be murdering another classic from the 90s :wink:

Yeah I find metronomes really tough to work with. If I’m trying something unaccompanied it’s not too bad but when it’s a band number I have real trouble visualising the groove. Although having said that, there are some drum settings on the zoom…

4 Likes

From trumpet to sax to bass I have found this incredibly frustrating.
I totally get where a bass line mostly should/would lock in with the drummer and keep time, however…
This tune is not this, nor is a lot of brass or sax music, and it is okey dokey to do it.
There are a lot of instructors that say you must keep the beat.
Really? Ask Ella, Louis and a zillion others if they ‘keep the beat’.
nope nope nope
You can express yourself musically any way you wish, and if you are not the ‘locked in force’ driving / keeping the beat, stretching time is a natural things for almost any instrument.
Of course this means lengthening or shorting notes around the beats, not beating to a different drummer, but perfectly acceptable, no matter what anyone says.

When I played trumpet I mostly played New Orleans trad jazz stuff. Louis Armstrong’s phrasing was what gave birth to a whole new concept of playing. My classically trained instructor played to stuff so dry it hurt.

You do you, we like it that way.

6 Likes

Oh dear - perhaps I did not express my thought clear enough. Digging into the song was a little like pulling back the curtain and thinking “oh! it’s just a human back there.” There are all these rules and theories and guidelines that we all learn about so we have a common language and way of thinking about music. And that’s great!
Guidelines

But we’re not machines; we don’t want to be machines. And despite how something may be written down on the page, we’re always (if we’re lucky) going to add some of our human-ness back in when we play it live. When we play music with other people, we have to pay extra attention to their human-ness to keep it all together. And that’s magic.

Lol!

7 Likes

Great job @Ed ! I thought the Hofner sounded pretty good.
:+1:

3 Likes

Thanks :grinning:! I think the Hofner has the perfect tone for this but admittedly it does have a serious bottom end which can be a little too heavy. If I were to try this again, I’d probably turn off the bass pickup or maybe use the EQ …

3 Likes

Happy Friday all, I’m rocking some Bowie in the Bass Bunker tonight! Hope you enjoy. All feedback is welcome. I’m trying to build some transcribing skills, so I did this one the old fashioned way. Hopefully it’s close, but I won’t be offended in the least if you find I’m playing something wrong. Now I will nervously browse the you-tube to see how it’s supposed to be done :laughing:
https://youtu.be/B5o5zQxj3K0

16 Likes

Damn dude, that was perfect! I now hate you…j/k

4 Likes

Haha, Thanks @EddieJones ! Checked the tabs, looks like there are more efficient ways to play it sticking between the 5 - 8 frets with some open strings

4 Likes

Yep, same here.
That was awesome!
Tone was sooo sooo spot on for this tune.
Your timing is perfect and the whole thing is just great.
Those little runs sound so good!
Great song selection.

Damn I hate guitarists that come to play bass, the sax didn’t help me one damn bit.

5 Likes

I still hate him…wait, I loathe him :melting_face:

4 Likes

You have the burpy, farty sound that was in the original. It really does sound good. Again, for the record…I hate you

5 Likes

Thanks John_E! This song is a lot of fun,

Hey your sax playing taught you real musician skills us guitarists don’t have, like how to actually read music!

6 Likes

https://youtu.be/ibd95vQU4eY

14 Likes

that’s what I call a great cover, @dlamson13 ! excellent timing and the bass line sounds perfectly fine to me. good job ! :v::grin:

5 Likes

Nice @Tokyo_Rat - I like the growl on this one.
Sounding really good man.

5 Likes

they had a nice rig for us, 450 watt ampeg two massive ampeg cabs. I turned off the EQ set everything at noon and let the guitar do the rest

4 Likes

Thanks @terb!

2 Likes

Very nicely played @dlamson13 ,
Great tone in the mix, getting right in the groove,
Covers are much more enjoyable when you playing songs you really like,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great groove @Tokyo_Rat ,
Love the tone of your bass in the mix.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Wow, that looks like a decent Live House. What was the crowd like?

5 Likes