Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I love the V4. (two good friends of mine have a V4 each, and I used one for rehersals in the past, so I know this model a bit)

1 Like

When I was 14 my parents (with some help from my brother), got me a used Fender Rhodes piano and the V4. It’s really a bass amp, but it did its job with the Rhodes. A few years back the Rhodes was collecting dust in my basement and I sold it cheap to a kid who was starting a studio. I was going to sell the V4 once, but it didn’t work out. The head still cranks. My cabinet is a bit old, but still works. And now I’m playing bass, so it’s making a comeback. I got it 43 years ago!!

2 Likes

if I remember the bass version is the V4B, but it works in any case :grin: which cab do you have ? I absolutly love the Ampeg 8x10, as long as I don’t have to move it …

1 Like

My CAB has 4 X 12" which is why they said it was a bass amp (the head could be used for anything I suppose). I have to clean it off and plug in. It’s a bear to move.

1 Like

I think the 4x12 is more a guitar cab. the old Ampeg bass cabs were more 10" or 15".

1 Like

Stone Temple Pilots - Dead And Bloated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbSF0_8zAkw

I’m not the biggest fan of Stone Temple Pilots, but this riff may be one of the most satisfying things in the universe !

I find this bass line extremely interesting in a lot of aspects. pretty hard to list them all, I will just show an example :

not so hard to play, but the first times I played it I really had to count to match these five three-steps (+1 so in fact 4x3+1x4) blocks with the 4/4 signature. by the way I really love how it sounds. the full tab is here for those who might be interested.

9 Likes

Very nice, @terb . . . :+1:

2 Likes

Another winner @terb! I remember my teenage kids listening to the STP’s (and that song) many times back in the ‘90’s. I also remember yelling at them to “Turn that $h1t DOWN!”…:joy::joy: So, thanks for the memories my friend!!:smiley::smiley:

Actually I loved how you incorporated the album cover in the beginning - really helped fill in that long intro section of “no bass”… I did like the song, and it must have been somewhat of a change for you from what you typically cover, however I am loving the diversity of style. I can see where the timing in this piece would be a bit of a challenge - however to me, it’s what actually makes the bass line of the song quite interesting, and now that I listen to the song as a bass player, I don’t wanna “Turn that $h1t DOWN!”… In fact, I actually turned it UP! Which brings me to a bit of a critical point… I really had a little trouble hearing “Greenie” shine through as much as I really wanted to. The tone and timing (from what I could hear) were great, I just needed a little more volume or a tad bit more gain on the bass line… but then again, I’m a bit on the deaf side so it could just be me… Other than that, cool shirt dude,… and I always love seeing that black hat!

5 Likes

:joy:

I just stole your idea ! :grin:

I’m trying to do cover in a relatively wide panel of styles (staying in what I like, of course). in the case of this song, even if it’s pretty easy listening and radio complient, the main riff is still pretty much stoner/grunge ! and man, this riff … :heart_eyes:

yeah in fact I think the bass track is pretty present but as it’s very close to the guitar line, it’s not easy to ear where starts and stops each instrument. also I used a glue compressor to integrate neatly my bass line into the mix, I think it sounds better overall but, yes, the downside is that we don’t ear the bass line “separated” from the original mix.

it’s an interesting question indeed : in the case of a bass cover, should we mix for the song, or for the bass line ? I always mix for the song but I’m not pretending I’m right.

4 Likes

I can see your point in mixing for the song @terb… More of a studio type finished product, which I believe is your ultimate goal. For me, it’s the bass line… In fact, I typically record and mix my bass lines so that they show more prevalence in the final mix - especially when covering later “Rock” songs where the guitar player is constantly walking on and playing over the bass line riffs… (I’m actually working on one such now)…

1 Like

it’s some kind of artistic choice I guess :grin:

2 Likes

Oh man, I used to listen to that whole Core album by STP all the way through back in high school. Still have my old CD from back then too, and was playing it in my car a few weeks ago, again all the way through. STP is still touring, as there was supposed to be a show in my city, but it was cancelled, I think one of the band members had an illness or injury.

Great cover, as always!!

3 Likes

Very impressive, @terb! I like especially how you have memorized the whole tune (lots of bits and pieces there) and how you play the entire song - nice!

Do I need to point out that I wasn’t aware of this song before? :joy:

3 Likes

it’s not that hard in fact, almost everything is counter-intuitive in this bass line but once you get it, it’s fine :grin:

also as I’m here I will post a picture of Robert DeLeo , the bass player of Stone Temple Pilots. I’m pretty sure some of you could like his pre-57 style Precision with a P/J pickup configuration (the P being a split-coil so a 57/current style one) :

IMG_3466lw

4 Likes

Robert was a killer bassist - his bassline to Plush is so melodic and gorgeous. His playing was such an integral part of that band’s character. Thanks for bringing some of that good stuff to the forum!

6 Likes

he seems to be still active as a bass player, Wikipedia says that he recorded five songs in 2019 with a japanese band called “B’z”. (I don’t know this band at all)

4 Likes

Wait, I though B’z were like ballad-pop. I’ll have to check.

edit: hmm, there is some of that but they seem mostly GnR-style hard rock. Still not where I would have pegged him going but not as surprising as I thought.

1 Like

Never tried a video cover before, so did a home recording just now on my iPhone. The song is “Naive” by The Kooks. I only heard this song (and of this band) 3 weeks ago - the new fellows I was jamming with wanted to us to learn 5 covers in a week. I only had time to semi-learn one, and haven’t played with them again yet. At first I wasn’t a fan of the song, but one of them said this was their fave song for years. Now it’s grown on me a lot - probably would have been into it if 15-20 years younger, I like these Brit pop type songs!

I have to ask, how do you all get the sound quality so good on your videos? The bass notes get picked up at different volumes on mine, and the levels of the bass vs. the backing track are not right. I may stick to audio only, as you can make these adjustments with DAW software. (And do some cut & paste, I ended 2 bars early :stuck_out_tongue:) But good excuse to wear my bass clef cap!

10 Likes

:partying_face:

congratulations @Vik , you made the 50th cover since the begining of this thread ! that’s awesome !

that’s a nice cover, you seem to have learned to bass line pretty well. I didn’t knew the song but I heard no obvious mistake and your attack / plucking technique seems pretty clean. the only thing I noticed is some timing issues, it’s floating a bit sometimes, but this point is hard (maybe the hardest ?) and requires a lot of time of practice. anyway that’s fine, very cool cover ! also I like your bass clef hat ! :grin::+1:

About the sound quality, in fact we don’t use the audio recorded by the camera. we record on a DAW like a normal studio session, and we record the video on another device. then we do the production/mix on the DAW, we export the audio and we create a new video with this audio track synchronized with the video part from the camera. it’s pretty easy, and it probably seems more complicated than what it really is :grin: if I remember, I believe that @Lanny made some tutorial PDFs on his site.

3 Likes

First, let me congratulate you on submitting the 50th cover @Vik!! And I do love the bass clef hat! I’m loving that tone on the Ibby… I can pick up on a bit of timing, but that I believe may be resolved if you were to record through a DIA (or direct cable) into a DAW. There are two ways to record yourself, and I’ve used both.

One way as @terb mentioned would be to lay down your bass line to a song - I use Garage Band since it came free on my MacBook Pro. The big key item here is when doing the video portion, that you play the song exactly like you played it when creating the audio portion.

The other way that I probably use most is to just record both audio and video at the same time. For this I still record directly into my DAW, but when I’m doing that, I am also using my Mac’s Photo Booth app to record the video. Granted, there is no sound on the video, but at least all of my notes match up ‘pluck 4 pluck’ when I go to match the audio and video together.

I use the iMovie app on my Mac to match the audio and video for both ways - I don’t like the one that is included in the GB app but that’s just my opinion…

A ton of fun, and you did a great job on that cover!! Looking forward to the next one!!

Keep on Thumpin’!

5 Likes