Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Very well done @Reo ! Enjoyable Latin beat perfectly executed.
:+1:

6 Likes

Good job @Reo! You have progressed quite well!
I love that cream color on your bass. A tort pickguard on it would send it over the top!

6 Likes

Great playing on this, right on time. I really like the song too, has a ripping guitar solo – kind of sounds a little like Mark Knopfler

6 Likes

Nice cover @Barney . That bass sounds really good in the mix :+1:

Cool first cover @Reo . Damn you were concentrating hard by the look on your face but you nailed it

4 Likes

:clap: :clap: :gloves:

This is one of the best cover videos I’ve ever seen! The sink! The gloves! The stacked coffee cups!

Oh, yeah - and the bass playing, too. Bravo!

5 Likes

I heard this Aerosmith song for the first time the other day through my “bass player’s lens” and I just had to learn it

• I love how Tom Hamilton doesn’t play every note the guitars are playing, the guitars and bass kind of dance around each other in this one.
  • Cool example of a shuffle rhythm in the pre-chorus (Josh makes me feel smart sometimes)
  • During the guitar solo there is this tricky (for me) string skipping part, you’ll hear and actually see my right hand get tripped up on it, but I kept it in.

https://youtu.be/4L52ic4AuzA

13 Likes

Never heard that before @dlamson13 . What a great song!
And a great cover. Your timing is spot on, the bass sounds fantastic and you look like you’re really into it. And you nailed the tricky bit in the solo

5 Likes

Very nice playing @dlamson13 ,
Love the tone on this one, and the cool little slides👍
Never heard the song before, just shows how many cool bass lines are out there, this one fits into that category :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Love this song, and you did a great job!

Tone is spot on, mix is great.
Still hate guitarists who play bass :upside_down_face:
You make it look too damn easy.

6 Likes

Nicely done! I was familiar with the song but had not heard it in a bit, I went through an Aerosmith phase, this is one of their really good songs from the early days, I always enjoyed the way the bass and guitar are kind of having a “dance off” around each other as you pointed out… Tom Hamilton quietly was the center of many of their early days best work, really good bassist

7 Likes

Very well done @dlamson13 ! Great tone and timing. I hadn’t heard that song in years. Great job.
:+1:

5 Likes

Nervous about this - but I’ve been meaning to do it for a while. For “self study” I finally managed to find the time to figure out how to record myself. If it works maybe I’ll finally join in on the 50 songs challenge - something else I’ve been putting off. Here’s my first attempt:

KK cover of Radiohead’s “High & Dry”

Stereo with backing track R and my bass L. Backing is really low compared to bass - because I really wanted to hear myself (humbling). Used a p.psarc (Rocksmith) file with backing track and tabs played and in ToneLib Jam - and TL Jam recorded my additional track alongside it. No pedal, no processing of any kind (not sure how to do that yet) using a p.psarc file of the song.

9 Likes

Nice job @KenKnight !!
Welcome to the cover game.
Great first effort and well done.
Generally your timing and groove was spot on, a few little blips and blurps here and there about overall fantastic.
Tone and mix need woek (as you mentioned).
Nothing here to be nervous about.
Keep ‘em coming!!
Well done.

4 Likes

Thanks @Mac, @TNKA36, @John_E, @Reo, and @JerryP! So glad you liked it, I was excited to share it because I figured the song wasn’t necessarily on everyone’s bass radar. It’s a fan favorite, they play it live a lot

This is the most fun part and what originally hooked me when I heard the song. Thought it was a guitar at first. It sounds to me like he drones the open D string and then does the slides in harmony with it, it’s a really neat sound.

Exactly, he has so much groove and plays so well to the song without all the drama some of his band-mates are known for. You know how those singers and guitar players can be :wink:

6 Likes

Really nice job @KenKnight and love the song choice. There was a time when I was pretty obsessed with The Bends, so nice to hear that again.

Nothing has helped me more than making these covers. I used to think I could listen to myself while I’m playing, but recording is totally different. You notice everything, humbling for sure, but it makes you better. Keep it up!

6 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement. Humbling is understating it. With bass track about 50% louder than the backing track I can hear (and cringe) at every tiny little thing - no hiding in the mix at all!

6 Likes

Nice first up Ken @KenKnight ,
Most important thing here is you are aware of how much different it is recording yourself and having to listen to what you recorded.
You will look back on this in 6 months and see how much you have improved your playing and recording.
It only gets better and becomes more fun, keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Just keep in mind that this is not really a thing.
Good to bump yourself a bit higher to hear, but, you want to know how to sit in a mix or a band and sound good. And take the help of all that in your playing, all the other parts do!! Lol

I have the same issue playing sax. Sounds 1000x worse in isolation but mix it and boom, decent.

5 Likes

Hey @KenKnight you’re only going to get positive vibes from me and pretty much anyone else on this forum.
Good points from @dlamson13 , @TNKA36 and @John_E. I’m a huge convert to the practice of recording myself to assess my progress. We are always our own worse critics, so it’s important to take a step back sometimes and focus on the positive. You’ve taken an inanimate object and made music with it. 99.099% of the world can’t do that. So you’re already ahead, no matter where you are.

When I recorded my self I realized that it’s almost as if different parts of our brain are being used. The part that plays the bass is different from the part that sits back a just listens. So the more I’ve recorded myself the closer these two things have become. I’m better than I was at listening to myself whilst playing to realize issues that need addressing and I think in part recording has helped.

Lastly the biggest thing that made a difference for me is to always practice with some sort of metronome/drum machine/drum app etc. It has hands down made the biggest change to my playing. Every exercise, scale, or piece of music I’m practicing is done to a drum beat. Goofing around after practice just noodling? Again to a drum beat.

I started by using the drum machine in my Zoom B1 and progressed to a dedicated drum pedal. Doesn’t matter what you use but man, it’s made such a difference to my internal sense of time.

Cheers

6 Likes

Great job @KenKnight .
Cool song and hats off to you for posting.
As @TNKA36 has said it’s good to keep a record of how your playing and look back to see how you improve as time goes on.
Having said that damn fine first cover

5 Likes