Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Fantastic work @Gabriel1 and nice to see you back.

Loved it. Amazing talent. What type of stand are you using?

4 Likes

This stand was made by my luthier theodoris rammos cause i am having trouble whith herniated discs

4 Likes

It looks nice and quite effective. There’s a pretty famous guitarist here in Japan that uses a similar stand due to a hand injury.

3 Likes

Yes it absolutely is!!!

4 Likes

Wow! Great playing @Gabriel1. It’s so smooth it’s almost hypnotic. Wishing you the best with your back, nice to see you found a workaround for it.

4 Likes

I’ve always wanted to cover Rush. Geddy’s aggressive plucking style and trebely tone just make me want to pick up my bass every time. This song clocks in under 3 minutes so felt it was good choice to start with. I worked this out by listening to the isolated bassline. There is no way at this time that I can play all the notes Geddy plays, but I do my best to capture the style and spirit of his playing. The original song is almost too good to cover but hopefully Rush fans will see this as a tribute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNFUxucido

16 Likes

Bloody hell @dlamson13 ! That was just amazing.
As a Rush fan from back in the day I can honestly say that was one hell of a tribute.
Loved the tone of the bass.
Great cover

5 Likes

100% solid gold @dlamson13 !!
I’m terrible sorry, but your 'but I do my best to capture the style and spirit" is too good to be characterized like that.
Let’s just call it damn good bassplaying sir.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @Mac! I had a great time pushing through this one, definitely a stretch song for me, and know I grew a lot as a player for it. Getting a “bloody hell” from a Rush fan is some pretty high praise, thanks :metal:

Schecter with 100% neck pickup, 100% treble
Recorded from amp DI - EQ flat, little bit of gain

3 Likes

Thanks so much @John_E!

Just to clarify this a little, I am really happy with the cover, and grateful to be able to play something I had no hope of not that long ago. What I mean by “style and spirit” is that when I tried to add more of the fancy extra Geddy notes it sounded less like Geddy than my simplified version. It starts to exceed my ability and I end up thinking so much I can no longer “find the pocket”. So instead of trying to do a carbon copy of Geddy’s glorious bassline, I stay close to it, but focus more on attacking the strings like him. It’s us musicians that make this music stuff so technical, the music itself is about feel. OK, I’m getting a little too new agey now :laughing: Thanks again John, always appreciate your feedback

4 Likes

Thank you !!! I am so glad that you remembered my issue! Yes that stands helps a lot!!

3 Likes

Very nicely done @dlamson13 ! A fitting tribute.
:+1:

3 Likes

Hi all, I bought my first bass late January this year. After almost 15 years of being a meh guitar player never willing to practice properly, I realized that my passion lies in the low end of the mix. When you focus on Gail Ann Dorsey (or Tony Visconti or whoever from the Bowie bassist gallery) more than you focus on Bowie or guitars, it’s pretty clear where your heart is aiming.

Anyhow, here’s a recording of Bowie’s Slow Burn from March. I decided to brush up my technique a bit before posting more videos. Bought the course yesterday and can’t wait to practice proper technique!

https://youtu.be/2XdiTR8K6No

12 Likes

Nice work! Some minor technique feedback (and Josh will cover this in the course):

You have a hell of a head start. That was quite good. The only glaring technique thing I caught is that you’ll want to do something about your plucking hand wrist angle and forearm usage there - that much bend is a recipe for eventual pain.

Fretting hand was mostly fine! Obviously years of guitar there. On bass we’re taught to position the thumb a little more neutrally behind the neck to allow for some more reach without straining, but if your fretting is working for you like that just go with it.

Well done in general, and welcome!

6 Likes

Thanks, I kinda cringe a bit when I see my hands positioned like that nowadays, but the beginnership was strong with this one :rofl:

I have changed the positions in the meantime, but I guess the course will set me on the… right course (ba dum tsss).

6 Likes

That was not bad in any way, nothing to cringe about at all :slight_smile:

Adam Neely has a couple excellent (and ancient!) videos on hand position:

5 Likes

Thanks for these! I’ll take a good look at Mr Neely’s videos!

5 Likes

Nice job on the cover @floyderama !
:+1:

5 Likes

that’s a great cover @floyderama , congrats !

5 Likes

Great job @floyderama

You can certainly see you are a guitarist from your fretting, lol.
The Neely videos may serve you well, as will Josh’s course for sure.
I am very envious of guitarists that come to bass, always have a leg up.

Song wise, sounded great!

5 Likes