Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great cover and bass line @terb and thank you for opening my eyes to a style of music I would never had thought about giving a listen to.
Do you think your knowledge of guitar helps you with your ability to write your own bass lines?

4 Likes

I don’t know really, maybe it’s more because I’ve been composing music and I’ve played with various bands/peoples since a long time. It’s not something hard. To be honest this is probably mostly an intuitive process : I just try to play music that I like, also keeping in mind that I want to make the line sound appropriate and efficient in the particular context of the alt country style. What’s the hardest is probably trying hard NOT to sound “rock” ; this would be easy but this would kill this country vibe.

If I could give an easy advice about writing original bass lines, it would be to sing the bass line over the song. You can try a lot of times, a lot of things ; you just have to sing your ideas while the song is playing. This would give some distance, avoiding the complexity and the physics of the instrument when it’s about creating the line, and not playing it. Then you have time to learn how to play it, maybe modify it to make it playeable but at least you have a good starting point when you effectively start playing.
That’s not really what I do with bass lines, but I can do it sometimes with guitar lead parts, where the technics can be a big part and can almost prevent listening carefully to the composition. It can really help.

8 Likes

Very interesting @terb . Thank you for that

3 Likes

you’re welcome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

this would be by far the hardest thing for me, to not take it in to punkabilly or cowpunk territory.

I really like what you did with this one. It really adds to the song.

5 Likes

I went with something a little funkier for this cover. Here is my version of Bill Wither’s “Lovely Day”. The original bassline was recorded by Jerry Knight – a multi-talented vocalist, bassist, and writer who left us much too soon in 1996 at 44 years old.

I just love this line and knew I had to work it out. At first I thought it would be easy, because it repeats a lot, but it turns out this song is right at the edge of my current playing ability. Hitting the 16ths in the right places at tempo, the muting, and ghost notes were big challenges for me. I miss it a few times here and there. Hope you enjoy and thanks for listening!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVyjHMjpUnM

14 Likes

I didn’t knew this song, the bass line is very groovy and does not seems easy. you played it pretty well in my opinion.

3 Likes

Well done @dlamson13 - that is a seriously good cover! Are you sure you’re not just doing a Milli Vanilli :wink: . Extra marks for the stage gear !

Do you use the same bass for all your covers? It seems really versatile.

3 Likes

Great cover . Well played sir

2 Likes

Thanks @terb, @Ed, @Mac!

I do, currently my one and only - Schecter Stiletto Extreme. It really is super versatile and comfortable to play, just love it. Trying to keep from going down the gear rabbit-hole, although there may be a Jazz Bass coming into my life soon, more to follow if that happens :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@dlamson13 , I haven’t heard this song for a long time. Great cover and execution! Thoroughly enjoyed it!
:+1:

4 Likes

Thanks @Jerry! Glad you enjoyed it. This isn’t a song you hear all the time. It came through my Spotify feed while I was working around the house and I thought, wow I just gotta learn that.

3 Likes

That’s how I choose the next song to try; something I heard while doing something else.

5 Likes

I Love this song.
Did you know this is the #1 song to wake up to around the world?
I had it for a while, harder to wake up cranky to this.

You did a fantastic job.
Not an easy line at all.
Nice video production uptick too.

6 Likes

Thanks John, didn’t know that but can definitely believe it, such an uplifting song. I don’t think I’ll try it though. I don’t want it to turn into my “I Got You Babe” from Groundhog’s Day.

Thanks, I get curious about how some of the neat things I see in other people’s cover videos are done. So while I’m in there mixing anyway, I mess around a little.

2 Likes

Yeah I really liked that @dlamson13. I added the tune to my job site playlist. What a fantastic bass line.

4 Likes

Bon jour @terb ! Nice to see you (and Greenie) and very nice job on the cover.

PS - As an “Outlaw Country” fan, I will definitely keep my ears tuned to bands in the Dark Country genre now.

4 Likes

Nice work @dlamson13 and I really like that Bass. Had one just like it but rarely played it, so I sold it (only bass I’ve ever sold).

Agree my friend @John_E … Lovely Day is my alternate alarm song, and weekend wake up song (when I occasionally need an alarm on the weekends). My first alarm song is “Cello Suite #1 in G Major” by Ariane Cap. Such a great riff to wake up to. :wink:

3 Likes

I mentioned to some about meeting a local guy that plays guitar out here in Hawaii. He wanted me to learn two songs by the Ventures to play along with him. Rather than doubly bore you with two videos, I combined the two songs and did one video. So here it is, hope you like it.

Setup:
Ibanez SR400EQM, EQ set to middle, both pickups on, direct into Scarlett 2i2, into Reaper with Ampeg V-4B amp sim and CLA 76 compressor.

18 Likes

:heart_eyes:

4 Likes