Post your covers! (2019-2022)

I’m still in awe of your “I Want You Back”. You did a great job.

4 Likes

Haha, that was ridiculous. Spending over 100 hours learning one song. My string crossing improved though!

10 Likes

Is there some kind of curse where, if you’re not recording yourself, you play quite well but the moment you fire up a camera you make every mistake?! I want to knock out the first song on the 50 songs challenge (Pink Floyd) as I use it for practice but as soon as I hit record, bammmm every mistake!

6 Likes

Yes.
Tip #1 - don’t restart the camera let it keep going. Your last take is always the good one.
Tip #2 - breathe.

6 Likes

Yes. And also, if you practice sitting down and then try to record yourself standing you will mess up more because of the different perspective you have of your bass. Make sure you practice the same way you want to play.

5 Likes

I was listening to Blondie’s “Eat to Beat” album the other day and it is full of great basslines. This one is really subtle and a textbook example of playing to the song. I love the vocals and lyrics as well, kind of hauntingly beautiful. Here is my cover of “Shayla” and my first time using the Fernandes Jazz in a cover. I hope you enjoy. Thanks for listening!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJypAAWqkUE

14 Likes

It’s called Red Light Fever.

6 Likes

One word…
Fantastic!

This cover makes me wish I learned guitar only to transfer the skills to bass now. Definitely gives not only a leg up but a different approach that allows really great skills to shine over to bass.

Curious. Now that you are playing bass too, what’s your % time split on guitar Vs bass?

4 Likes

Thank you very much @John_E, glad you liked it! My guitar experience definitely helped, even with figuring it out, because he plays some chords in the beginning and in a fill, so knowing chord shapes made it easier. I do some other “guitary” things like thumb over the top probably out of habit.

I’ve been enjoying bass so much its probably 90:10 in favor of bass. My coordination and speed has suffered on the guitar a little from the lack of consistent practice. In many ways though, I feel bass has helped my guitar playing because I’m more rhythm conscious now.

6 Likes

Yes! Working on 2 covers this weekend and each one took me a bazillion takes. Floyd was my first cover as well and that also took just as many. So while everything else improves I haven’t been able to get around this. I seriously don’t get it, it must be psychological. When I play with my church group, and someone else records it, I just go up and have fun, and everything sounds fine. Not saying it’s always perfect, but often the mistakes are small or hard to notice. As soon as I hit the record button at home for a cover I make big noticeable mistakes!.

3 Likes

Weekend :white_check_mark:
Fresh Coffee in my Wallace and Gromit mug :white_check_mark:
Fresh cover to enjoy :white_check_mark:
Oh that was fabulous, for lots of reasons. Mainly because of the harmonics / slides etc which looked entirely effortless (we all know they’re not and require a ton of practice).
So thanks, I really enjoyed that and listened to a new (to me) song.

This is my favourite thread.

7 Likes

Same as Barney, but with a different mug

Bravo, really enjoyed that and again got to enjoy a song I’d never encountered before

4 Likes

Thanks Barney! Glad you like the song, and you know all about the reps it takes from your Jackson 5 experience. I don’t even have the opening riff of that under my fingers yet.

Mine too. The thread is amazing. The variety of styles, eras, and instruments, 7000+ posts and counting. Keep the good weekend vibes going :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thanks @mikeyjayjay! I always like when I can find a deeper cut like that. It was a single at the time but doesn’t really get any play anymore.

3 Likes

I know a lot of you don’t follow the 50 song challenge over here, so I wanted to link you all over to an amazing cover just done by @Paul_9207.
Kudos @Paul_9207 !!

8 Likes

Thank you @John_E

3 Likes

Oh hot damn! Favouriting their etsy shop right now b/c I loathe the default fake tortoiseshell pickguard on my pbass.

7 Likes

Definitely showing some skills there @dlamson13 . A very solid cover
The Fernandes sounds great.

5 Likes

Great cover of a very cool song @Paul_9207
Timing was really good and the bass ( what is it by the way?) sounds just right

6 Likes

Thank you @Mac
The bass is a Schecter Stiletto Custom-4

3 Likes