Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Very nice, @Barney I really l liked that a lot. Sounds fun.

2 Likes

Thanks @howard There is something special about this song. It’s been my ringtone for a long long time.

I’ll have to get back to you on the effects.

The Small Print is a great song, I’ll have to try that one out. Muse has so many great songs with great bass lines.

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E
Like I said, my wife was out of town so I had lots of uninhibited bass time.

Yup, I like this bass a lot. I play others, but I always come back to this one.

1 Like

@howard @John_E

This is what my effects chain looks like. The send and return is just a clean signal. Then lots of fuzz and a little chorus and an Ampeg sim.

Then I go direct out from my B6 into one channel and I mic my cab on a second channel. and those look like this. I feel like I’m still just clicking on presets and turning knobs blindly hoping for a good sound. Sometimes I get lucky and sometimes it takes a lot longer. My actual physical cab has everything set to noon with gain set to 4.

2 Likes

Thanks @terb I can’t speak for Paul (but yeah he looks very polished for how long he’s been playing) but for me it’s just a case of putting the hours in. I play a minimum of 2 hours every day. But then I don’t have kids / other responsibilities, so I’m lucky to have the free time.

I’m starting to get to the point where it doesn’t feel as mechanical and that’s a nice place to be.

2 Likes

Here is my 50th cover on this thread ! I though that my favorite APC song would be a good choice for this.

A Perfect Circle - Passive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d4NCTxOyBc

This song is in fact a cover of an unreleased song from Tapeworm, which was a side project of Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), with Maynard James Keenan (Tool, APC) and a few other musicians. So, this is some kind of a self-cover of Maynard James Keenan.

This song is on eMOTIVe (2004), which is a cover-only album. The t-shirt I wear is the one of this album. I love the two previous albums but Passive is certainly my favorite song really. Feels very organic to me.

There are several bass covers of this song, and my version is inspired by the cover recorded by Leo Düzey with some minor differences concerning the fingering and the bass line itself. I added a little break at 3:18 and modified a bit the line at the begining.
What I like especially with Leo Düzey’s version, is that he takes advantage of a strange tuning : C-A-D-G (just the E tuned down to C). That’s a huge gap between the two lowest strings but I really like how deep it sounds, and how uncommon and fun it is to play. Also there is a very different string tension between the C and the other ones, that’s someting to consider when playing, especially with light strings (40/100 here).

Greenie, Darkglass Vintage Microtubes clone (that I built from a Musikding kit), Bass POD Pro.

Now that I have 50 covers, maybe it’s time to create my video index post, so here it is.

19 Likes

Very well done @terb Laurent! I’m not familiar with the song but that use of tuning down to C really sounds great. I always enjoy it when Greenie comes out to play.
:+1:

2 Likes

That was awesome @terb Great playing and great tone!

3 Likes

The Terbinator does it again :metal:

Great 50th cover @terb - especially with the dynamics! I’ve got many happy memories of this song. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Wow, very cool! I hadn’t heard of Tapeworm (so many Reznor side projects!)

Song is great, Greenie sounds great there as usual. Love the pick-chuck there at the end :rofl:

2 Likes

I was not sure if someone would notice it :joy:

2 Likes

This is just fantastic @terb

A guitarists bassline for sure, really like it a lot.

3 Likes

This thread is on fire. You guys are inspiring me to play a little longer tonight

@Paul_9207 The Cure cover was so cool. Not one I’ve heard in a while. There is a lot of cool bass work on this record and has one of my all time favorite album covers, but not sure why? It’s really satisfying to figure things out by ear, nicely done. The power chords in the Blink cover were awesome and props for the trippy ending in the Muse song.

@Barney that was a really smooth performance, I’m dancing in my chair here. Tone is just right. What is “Retro Reel”, is it a kind of tape flange or something?

@terb that was fantastic, congrats on the 50 covers! It’s cool you made the index page, you covered some artists I like a lot.

I get what you mean, the song builds and falls beautifully. Really like it, and I’m in no way a Tool fanboy, this is great.

4 Likes

Well @terb what can we say?
50 covers (wow) :white_check_mark:
P Bass :white_check_mark:
Matching T-shirt :white_check_mark:
Rustic French architecture :white_check_mark:
In the pocket :white_check_mark:
Great playing :white_check_mark:

A fantastic way to round of your half century. Top banana.

5 Likes

Thanks very much. It’s a Line 6 modulation effect within HX Stomp meant to simulate playing a tape through an old tape machine. Lots of variables in there to play with. I use it to just round out the overall tone.

3 Likes

Thanks @dlamson13 I love this thread. It’s fun to watch covers from bassists who are all relatively new to the instrument. And to get good feedback as well. This thread and forum have helped me improve my playing and overall sound as well.

4 Likes

That’s really neat, and the demo was great (+1 for the Screaming for Vengeance album on display). It warms up the tone in a nice subtle way. The Helix seems really powerful, a little complicated, but guess that comes with the territory. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I’m recording direct now, but I have no audio output when recording so I’m playing deaf, here’s a second crack at what’s going on and ain’t no mountain. I’ll work on adding in the backing tracks to the video over the next week or so. It’s getting closer :sob:
edit: I think the gain was a bit too high and that’s the popping, not sure yet
https://youtu.be/qLLRjHnro8o
https://youtu.be/b4mmmPn-niw

8 Likes

Why not run headphones out of your audio interface and direct monitor the bass?

1 Like

Nice finger work @mpops1990! You must be the next Beethoven to play that well deaf :laughing: . Both have tricky parts and you sound nice and smooth throughout. They are iconic lines so I could follow them in my head mostly but it would be nice to have the backing track playing for reference, even if just on your phone of something. Great job overall, I thought the tone sounded nice and warm for a direct signal.

3 Likes