Post your covers! (2019-2022)

BDI21 + Bass POD Pro

this tone is more made for the real cover I’m currently working on, it does not work at all with Baby Shark (wayyyyy too agressive and harsh in the high mid)
:v::grin:

2 Likes

Sorry, I can’t watch this as I’m still recovering from the last time that song was stuck in my head. :rofl:

I’m sure you did great though!

2 Likes

not really … a lot of small timing issues because I’ve done that in no time, it was not my most serious studio session obviously
:v::grin:

1 Like

Never know. A popular cover of an annoyingly catchy song could earn you some YouTube money! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

it’s not monetized :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Back in the 80’s, some guys though it would be a good idea to push disco to the next level with higher tempos and synthesizers. they called this thing hi-NRG, which is closely related to synthpop. One of the biggest hits in this style is You Spin Me Round by Dead Or Alive, I’m pretty sure some of you remember this song. And of course someone had the idea to record an industrial metal cover :v::grin: Dope made this, in the straight spirit of the Sweet Dreams cover released a few years before by Marilyn Manson, on Smells Like Children.

I hesitated between the original and the Dope version, and, yeah, no surprise : go for some industrial metal ! and so I’m doing a cover of a cover, and I’m good for the COVERCEPTION category !

Dope - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)

I don’t like much the Dope bass line, which is extremely basic and not very interesting in my opinion. So, I’m playing my own line, much closer to the original song but played with an industrial metal feel (hopefully) to match the Dope cover. I must say, those kind of industrial metal bass lines feel pretty natural to me, don’t know really why. it’s somewhat comfortable.

Sound wise, I’m using the modded BDI21 (and I actually really use the mod) and the Bass POD Pro but I decided to search for a different tone, something in between my old vintage-inspired tone and something more modern. In fact it’s pretty close to a Darkglass tone ; it’s the exact same tone as on the Baby Shark cover. I think it works well for this kind of industrial metal song, but overall that’s not really the tone I’m searching for. well yeah I’m still experimenting. Covers are a great support for that.

7 Likes

You really have a knack for this kind of music, @terb! . . . :wink:

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Great job @terb. I enjoyed that.

2 Likes

@terb Very cool! The tone you get worked really well with that song.

1 Like

thank you, yes the tone was really made around this particular mix

1 Like

Very nice! Tone is sounding good to me actually, for the style.

I love industrial/metal covers of '80s dancepop. I found a South African djent metal cover of Animotion’s club hit Obsession I posted in the Friday thread a while back.

2 Likes

@Lanny Hi Lanny, phew this a long old thread. I checke out your web site. Very nice. JUst one point, in case you don’t know, this link: https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/My-Movie-4-Medium.mov

Is broken .

Look forward to coming back in a moth to see if its got new covers.
Cheers

2 Likes

@faamecanic
Hey, If I can post this then there is nothing you can post that will be more embarrassing.

3 Likes

@Boyd_River Lanny has real spotty Internet access right now. Everybody being home is pushing the Internet connections to the limit. I don’t expect we’re going to see much of him till people start going back to work and school.

3 Likes

Hey Studio… awesome that you have the “I dont give a sh%t” attitude and posted that. Keep at it and with your go get’em by the balls way of doin it you will be playing like Wooten in no time!

Thanks for giving me a reality check… it dont matter how well you play, it just matters that you play!

2 Likes

I just got mine back . . . was down ~14 hours today up here, @eric.kiser :frowning:

1 Like

Lombardo is one of my favorite bass players along with Matt Freeman and the guy from violent fems.

1 Like

[sorry I made a mistake and posted a thing on the wrong thread :frowning: my bad !]

1 Like

… and today I’ll do something rather new, I’ll post a cover made by one of my best friends. this guy was the bass player of Kernel Panic, a band I created in the 2000’s (I played the guitar then). he was a guitar player, like me, and he decided to switch to the bass a few years ago. like me, but he did it a bit earlier. and we’re not that much in the same musical trip even if we all recognize what is good music in the styles we don’t know much. I can recognize what is a great song in a jazz/fusion style, and hopefully my friend Mathieu can admit what is good music in the sludge/doom/post-metal groove. So, yeah, Mathieu is more in the jazz/fusion things.

his thing is to play serveral parts at the same time and it can sound like this :

I absolutly LOVE the original composition. I think my friend did his thing well, I like the way he makes the song his own with a very different approach.

@Gio and @JoshFossgreen I don’t ask you very often but, this time, I’d really love to know what you think about my friend’s playing ! thank you !

:kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Hail @terb!

Cool video, and thanks for the intro/share for your buddy.
The song is Nardis, by Miles Davis (or Bill Evans, depending on who you ask), and it’s a gorgeous tune, and a jazz standard staple.

As for commenting on his playing - I have lots of different filters I apply to comments for a person. It’s mostly based on what their background is, and their ambition. If his goal was to be a session bassist in the NY jazz scene, I would reply differently than if he wants to make music for himself and his community, while having his profession being something non-bass related.

I think he has good technique, good time, and he has created a lovely solo bass arrangement for a lovely melody.
Let me know if there are more specifics you want, or questions you want answered. But to put a non-forum member up for critique is tricky, as I don’t know them or their bass journey at all!

5 Likes