Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great cover @terb

3 Likes

What a finisher for Motorvember, probably my favorite, hard to choose! Love the thick sounding power chords, you killed it :metal:

5 Likes

Thanks man @dlamson13 :smiley: I’m so metalled out after that last month I need to take a break :drooling_face: but oh that was fun playing those tracks. It sometimes felt like riding a bike or a really fast horse for some reason…

4 Likes

MM is close to my heart. Those songs are ultimate proof that simple basslines can sound stupid cool.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s often the case with industrial metal. I’ve done myself a cover of MM a few years ago.

I really like what Twiggy Ramirez did with MM. He composed most songs from Antichrist Superstar to Holy Wood.

2 Likes

Here’s my cover of “My Kinda Lover” by Billy Squier. Just a feel good 80s tune with super fun fills. I had a lot of fun working this one out. I tried to get close to the record, as usual I sometimes take some liberties with it. Did a lot of takes, as it is a reach for me at this point. Not perfect, but happy with it. Thanks for listening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHsgl17-fY

17 Likes

Nice job @terb ! Sounds great!

6 Likes

That was awesome!

6 Likes

awesome cover. I am working on too much to young.

6 Likes

Very nice, great job :+1:

4 Likes

Great job @dlamson13 !

3 Likes

Very cool @dlamson13

3 Likes

Fantastic job on a very hard tune. Way to stretch @dlamson13

5 Likes

Whoa, I haven’t heard that since high school. Well done :slight_smile:

Seriously that looked hard. Nice work.

4 Likes

Thank you @Paul_9207 , @T_dub, @JerryP, @Mac, @John_E, and @Howard! Glad you liked it, one of my favorite things to do is revisit older songs that have cool bass lines I didn’t appreciate being ignorant of the power that is bass :slight_smile: Now all I need is a time machine and a good head of hair so I can go back and rule the 80s

Thanks, took some work! I like learning from songs more than doing courses, well…except for Josh’s, so I’ve been counting on picking the right ones to figure out and improve with. Some end up being dead-ends I’m not ready for (“La Villa Strangiato” comes to mind). Others like this, are in just the right place to keep after.

4 Likes

Life has been crazy lately. I can’t believe it’s December already. I only posted two covers in November. Hopefully I can do better than that this month, but the holidays are busy. I have some songs I want to cover, hopefully I can get them done.

I found myself just messing around with slap last month, without really putting in any work, just a slap here and there. I then decided I wanted to buckle down and learn a slap heavy song. After a day or two I got a blister on my index finger and had to take a day off, now it’s a callus. I probably should have put new strings on before recording, but overall I am happy with how it turned out.

RHCP - Can’t Stop
https://youtu.be/wDvXZOXi84U

14 Likes

Oh that was good @dlamson13 ! I didn’t know the song and I may not have paid much much attention to it but that bassline is a hidden gem :slight_smile: Great work with moving up and down the neck in the solo too :+1: Are you running the output from the amp into the DI?

2 Likes

Another solid job @Paul_9207 you’re really tight with the groove here :+1: :+1: Strings sound good to me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice job going all in with the slap @Paul_9207! I know the effort it takes to get there, not there yet myself, but I keep working on it and its definitely a grind. It’s fun as hell though. I think you had really good clarity with the slaps and pops and smooth transitions from slap to plucking.

We’ll forgive you after that rocking Halloween set you put out in October :laughing:

4 Likes

Thanks @Ed! Yeah there were closer together ways to play those notes in the solo, but everytime I listened to it I kept hearing those long slides so I think that’s what he did.

I’m running the bass into this $30 Behringer DI thingy “Bass BDI 21” but I use it more like an OD because I really love the drive sound it has. I don’t use the DI in it. I run the 1/4" output from the Behringer into the Orange Amp. EQ the amp, and connect the amp’s DI to my interface. Didn’t add anything post this time so its pretty raw.

4 Likes